Coach Welcome to Port Adelaide - Jason Williams - Forwards Development Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Has a bit of a 'throwing seeds' feel about it to me.
The whole club does. But then scratch a bit deeper and its greyhound syndicates. Sort of like the Vatican i guess.

The more media that comes out from the club the creepier its getting. Disturbing even.

Bacchus Marsh is Zak Butters country. Wonder if that had any link to him getting the job.

Never mind Zak, that's where Dave Granger played his early footy. There will be blood ;)

He's here as a development coach and he appears highly regarded in that regard. Not everyone has to come from mainstream AFL to add something new to the group.

Interesting article from 2015.

The whole club does. But then scratch a bit deeper and its greyhound syndicates. Sort of like the Vatican i guess.

The more media that comes out from the club the creepier its getting. Disturbing even.

I know the Catholic Church has done some ****ed up s**t over time but I didn't know they were into greyhounds.

Where's the club statement on this appointment?
Its a bit of a nothing appointment, but NIT reckon its newsworthy for the brothers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having delved a little deeper, I’m disappointed. He’s actually not the former point guard from the Sacramento Kings.

Any appointment to the coaching staff should be worthy of an article on the club website.
I reckon a few development coaches appointments in the past, have had a 2 or 3 line mention at the end of an article about a more senior assistant being appointed, or some other matter dominating the article.

There is actually some cringe comments on this thread. How about we take his appointment as merit for his suitability for the job. He has obviously been through the recruitment process and he's seen as the most suitable.

There is actually some cringe comments on this thread. How about we take his appointment as merit for his suitability for the job. He has obviously been through the recruitment process and he's seen as the most suitable.
I think that is how most feel, bar a few d!ckheads.

Reading his backstory, expecting to be drafted but didnt. Then great year with Port Melbourne, then his dad dies just before the GF and he spirals into depression. Then makes some "bad decisions" - not hard to guess what that involved. Finally clawing his way back into falling in love with the game again, playing good footy in lower leagues.

Then he takes all that into a coaching/mentoring roles as he turned to coaching with a number of clubs including the Northern Bullants, Calder Cannons, Bachus Marsh, and head coach of the AFL's National Indigenous Talent Pathways.

I imagine they have a specific mentoring role for him, allied to his strengths as outlined by the club he is leaving ...

“The club has received this news with feelings of sadness at the loss of an exceptional coach, but also with an immense sense of pride that we have been a part of the progression of Jason’s career and pathway to the highest level in the land. The 2023 season has been one of great challenge and tremendous growth across our whole football program. Jason has reshaped the way our players think about themselves and their club.

He has empowered players young and old to believe they could achieve beyond their own expectations and time and again, this belief led to success and improvement right across the playing roster. This growth has been born out on the scoreboard in the latter part of the year with three consecutive wins, culminating in last week’s triumph on the road against finals aspirant, Sunbury [Lions]. This was a win that defined Jason’s year with the Cobras.”

And from Williams himself ....

“I was confident that I could play a role in turning the club around and create an environment that current, new, and past players would want to be a part of,” he said. “My overall goal was to create an environment that fostered a sense of love and affiliation to the Club ... I have loved every minute spent with the playing group. The demand of high standards and expectations went both ways, I expected and demanded a lot of my guys, they delivered and demanded and expected the same back from me.

In reflection, I believe this is what made us good for each other. The dynamic of our relationship forced me to be a better coach. It put me in positions where I had to be clearer with my communication, regulate my emotions and lead with empathy and love and for that, I am forever grateful.”

I think that is how most feel, bar a few d!ckheads.

Reading his backstory, expecting to be drafted but didnt. Then great year with Port Melbourne, then his dad dies just before the GF and he spirals into depression. Then makes some "bad decisions" - not hard to guess what that involved. Finally clawing his way back into falling in love with the game again, playing good footy in lower leagues.

Then he takes all that into a coaching/mentoring roles as he turned to coaching with a number of clubs including the Northern Bullants, Calder Cannons, Bachus Marsh, and head coach of the AFL's National Indigenous Talent Pathways.

I imagine they have a specific mentoring role for him, allied to his strengths as outlined by the club he is leaving ...

“The club has received this news with feelings of sadness at the loss of an exceptional coach, but also with an immense sense of pride that we have been a part of the progression of Jason’s career and pathway to the highest level in the land. The 2023 season has been one of great challenge and tremendous growth across our whole football program. Jason has reshaped the way our players think about themselves and their club.

He has empowered players young and old to believe they could achieve beyond their own expectations and time and again, this belief led to success and improvement right across the playing roster. This growth has been born out on the scoreboard in the latter part of the year with three consecutive wins, culminating in last week’s triumph on the road against finals aspirant, Sunbury [Lions]. This was a win that defined Jason’s year with the Cobras.”

And from Williams himself ....

“I was confident that I could play a role in turning the club around and create an environment that current, new, and past players would want to be a part of,” he said. “My overall goal was to create an environment that fostered a sense of love and affiliation to the Club ... I have loved every minute spent with the playing group. The demand of high standards and expectations went both ways, I expected and demanded a lot of my guys, they delivered and demanded and expected the same back from me.

In reflection, I believe this is what made us good for each other. The dynamic of our relationship forced me to be a better coach. It put me in positions where I had to be clearer with my communication, regulate my emotions and lead with empathy and love and for that, I am forever grateful.”
There is a lot to like about the way he talks and given what he’s been through himself and come through it all he must be a pretty strong character.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back