Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Rookie Pick #13 (2023) - Xavier Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not like we had much forward last year with MG out for most of the year and Marshall banging his head on the ground.
Throw in one leg Charlie and it was pretty disappointing apart from Lord showing improvement.
The role of a tall forward at the Kenny Hinkley Football Club is to bring the ball to ground not to kick goals.

This guy plays a very bold game. Seems to be good at ground level, attacks the play hard, backs himself to use his speed (which is very good) and looks to have a great kick. He plays with the energy and confidence of Noah Balta and maybe even a very raw Alex Rance. Love this pick.

Did a couple of nice things last night, but was pretty quiet.

There was one bit of play at the northern west corner of the square, where he took on 3 crowies and nearly got past them all.

The 3rd crowie got enough of his jumper to slow him down and the 2nd crowie came in to gang tackle him, but he just in time, got a scrappy handball to a team mate who under pressure jammed it on his boot and it went out of bounds near the interchange box.

Last edited:
This guy plays a very bold game. Seems to be good at ground level, attacks the play hard, backs himself to use his speed (which is very good) and looks to have a great kick. He plays with the energy and confidence of Noah Balta and maybe even a very raw Alex Rance. Love this pick.

Just to add, he also is not afraid to go one on one with the tall forward in his vicinity.

We delisted a contracted Pasini and with that list spot rookie listed Walsh to play the same position. Bold list management and looking like a good move early days.
Wonder if we would have kept Pasini as well if Clurey managed to get traded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this lad. If he'd been taken higher we'd be getting more excited by his output.

Can Walsh play wing? He's pretty quick and his passes hit their target. We are trying just about everyone else there at the moment.

We delisted a contracted Pasini and with that list spot rookie listed Walsh to play the same position. Bold list management and looking like a good move early days.
This question might have been answered but how did west coast and fremantle overlook him or did not rate, in their view better prospects available?

This question might have been answered but how did west coast and fremantle overlook him or did not rate, in their view better prospects available?

"A combination of injury and suspension prevented the 18-year-old from making a greater splash in his top-age campaign, but recruiters were left pleased by their first impressions in Colts Super Round."

Good question. I've always wondered why Port wasted their last rookie pick in 2016 on Dan Houston when 11 Victorian clubs didn't rate him.

Xavier Walsh will go on to be the best tall defender from this draft - bookmark it. If, by the end of his career, you can prove me wrong I will buy you an ice-cream of your choice, and donate $10 (indexed for inflation) to your favourite charity.

Xavier Walsh will go on to be the best tall defender from this draft - bookmark it. If, by the end of his career, you can prove me wrong I will buy you an ice-cream of your choice, and donate $10 (indexed for inflation) to your favourite charity.
Boysenberry Ripple and the Sack Hinkley Fund please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back