Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Pick #52 (2023) - Lachlan Charleson

Remove this Banner Ad

F_cwh_7aAAEdk4i

Last edited:
177cm Small forward who really caught the eye with an eight-goal performance for the GWV Rebels against the Bendigo Pioneers late in the year, before following it up with a four-goal showing a fortnight later against the Murray Bushrangers. Those efforts topped off an impressive year in the Coates Talent League where he booted 24 goals and averaged 18.5 disposals and three tackles across 13 matches. Also represented Victoria Country at the National Championships and produced a sharp 2.99 seconds for the 20m sprint during Combine testing.

One of the best pressure forwards in this year's draft pool, Lachlan Charleson has traits that aren’t too dissimilar to West Coast's Noah Long. The pair share share a similar path as primarily inside midfielders that developed as small forwards in their top-aged seasons. Charleson approaches the footy inside 50 like he’s at a stoppage, hitting the ball at 100 per cent when it hits the deck and happily taking out any opponent in his way before looking to quickly dish the ball off. Celebrating big and getting under his opponents' skin is another trademark Charleson trait.

He has developed rapidly as a forward, kicking 17 of his 24 Talent League goals for the season in his final five games with less rotation into the midfield, able to show his ability as a marking option as well. His best effort was a bag of eight against Bendigo Pioneers in Round 16. Whilst a goal kicking return of 24.14 reads quite nicely, Charleson may look to refine his set shot routine to maximize his opportunities in front of the sticks, while also building some consistency when playing at higher levels given his impact reduced when playing for Vic Country this year.

Lachlan Charleson

Watching his highlights Charleson reminded me of an old time rover who rests in the forward pocket with the way he plays.

Not surprising he is an inside mid who has developed as a small forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly who I hoped we would get. His hands in close are excellent, almost Robbie Gray like, and he'll feed a lot of goals to others and is able to kick bags himself. At 177 or 178 he's Lachie Neale size and will be able to go through the midfield as well.

Exactly who I hoped we would get. His hands in close are excellent, almost Robbie Gray like, and he'll feed a lot of goals to others and is able to kick bags himself. At 177 or 178 he's Lachie Neale size and will be able to go through the midfield as well.
His midfield highlights look pretty good. Agree, he could play both roles.

He's already one of my favourites as he hails from Ballarat. Spent many happy years there before moving back to Adelaide

The local paper is running a story that's he's eager to link up with Butters. Good choice.

Last edited:
He's already one of favourites as he hails from Ballarat. Spent many happy years there before moving back to Adelaide

The local paper is running a story that's he's eager to link up with Butters. Good choice.

He and Butters will be more annoying than a mosquito in a tent at 2am.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back