The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Williams lands coaching job at Power​

Jackson Clark - August 28, 2023

Williams lands coaching job at Power

Noongar man Jason Williams has landed a development coaching position with AFL club Port Adelaide. Williams has been coaching Ballarat Football League outfit Bacchus Marsh and told the club of his job offer from the Power last week.

The Cobras coach spoke to his players before the team's final training session of the season, before informing the rest of the club at a large gathering at the final selection dinner.
Bacchus Marsh spoke about their high regard for Williams in a statement released on social media.

"Jason has reshaped the way our players think about themselves and their club," the Cobras' statement read. "He has empowered players young and old to believe they could achieve beyond their own expectations. The club has received this news with feelings of sadness at the loss of an exceptional coach, but also with an immense sense of pride that we have been a part of the progression of Jason's career and pathway to the highest level in the land."

After missing out on selection in the AFL National Draft, Williams signed with VFL club Port Melbourne and played in the club's 2012 losing grand final. Williams later played local footy and won a premiership with Riddell District Football League team Diggers Rest before a serious knee injury called time on his playing career.

Upon retirement, Williams turned to coaching and spent five years holding positions in the NAB League and VFL before joining Bacchus Marsh at the end of 2022.

Williams lands coaching job at Power​

Jackson Clark - August 28, 2023

Williams lands coaching job at Power

Noongar man Jason Williams has landed a development coaching position with AFL club Port Adelaide. Williams has been coaching Ballarat Football League outfit Bacchus Marsh and told the club of his job offer from the Power last week.

The Cobras coach spoke to his players before the team's final training session of the season, before informing the rest of the club at a large gathering at the final selection dinner.
Bacchus Marsh spoke about their high regard for Williams in a statement released on social media.

"Jason has reshaped the way our players think about themselves and their club," the Cobras' statement read. "He has empowered players young and old to believe they could achieve beyond their own expectations. The club has received this news with feelings of sadness at the loss of an exceptional coach, but also with an immense sense of pride that we have been a part of the progression of Jason's career and pathway to the highest level in the land."

After missing out on selection in the AFL National Draft, Williams signed with VFL club Port Melbourne and played in the club's 2012 losing grand final. Williams later played local footy and won a premiership with Riddell District Football League team Diggers Rest before a serious knee injury called time on his playing career.

Upon retirement, Williams turned to coaching and spent five years holding positions in the NAB League and VFL before joining Bacchus Marsh at the end of 2022.

Early signing. Interesting.

Supposedly had good AFL traits, but circumstances got in the way.

Interesting story.

THE SIX SEASONS OF JASON WILLIAMS​

IMG_7394-1170x650.jpg

MAY 31, 2022

By: Daniel Kelly (@UKurrie)

The Noongar people, from who Northern Bullants midfield coach Jason Williams draws his Indigenous heritage from, have held their traditional land, located in what is also known as South Western Australia, dear for around 50,000 years.
Having, like all Aboriginal people, a close association with nature, the Noongar believe there are six seasons each year which marks when the weather turns and a new phase begins, bringing with it changes in the landscape, flora and fauna.
The Noongar knew when a new season was approaching by seeing change in certain plants which always heralded the next season before it was upon them.
The six seasons – conception (Djilba), birth (Kambarang), the young (Birak), adolescence (Bunuru), adulthood (Djeran), and finally fertility (Makuru) – could easily be attributed to the story of Williams and the evolution of his life.
Djilba (conception) and Kambarang (birth)
Before Jason, now 28, those who went before him suffered unfathomable cruelty in an Australia which openly repressed Indigenous cultures.
“My grandmother – her mother had to give her up to a non-Aboriginal family who raised her,” Williams said. “My grandmother was very lucky that this non-Aboriginal family loved her and cared for her as if she was their own.”
“But for her to move away from her family and off country, from where she was born, and to go to a non-Aboriginal family was pretty tough.”
“My grandfather told me stories of how, every day, someone would come, and he would have to run off into the bush so that the police couldn’t come and take him away from his family.”
“He did that until he was old enough to go and work,” Williams continues. “He tells me stories of when he was walking home from work the police would stop him and go through his pockets to see if he had no money – and if he did have money – they would lock him up because they would think he had stolen it.”
Williams’ introduction to the world was thankfully – even only if relatively – easier compared to what his older generation went through.
He grew up in Narrogin, a small, predominantly Aboriginal, town around 2 hours’ drive south east of Perth, and he felt a close affinity with his heritage.
Whilst his father was Aboriginal, Williams’s mother was not, however she was key in ensuring Jason understood his history.
“I am so grateful that she made it clear to me who I am, where I am from, who my family are,” Williams said.
After his parents separated, Williams and his mother moved to Sunbury, in Melbourne, at the age of eight and he instantly noticed a change in not only the landscape but also the tangible disconnection from his culture.
“Going from a place where I could just walk across the road and be in the bush with my family to a place where I wasn’t allowed to ride my bike to school,” he said. “I didn’t understand that – I couldn’t comprehend it.”
“I remember going to school…being in year 2 and walking around the school looking for the Aboriginal people.”
“It really messed with me inside, and I struggled with my identity for a large part of my younger life.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've obviously seen something interesting in Jason. It can't hurt to add some more youth into the coaching mix. If you wanna be like everyone else, do what everyone else does, if you wanna be better you have try something different. I can imagine that the AFL system, like many large organisations and the public service, can drive a lot of the creativity and drive out of people. It can't hurt bringing somebody in with a different, fresh point of view. Especially somebody who might have a different way of connecting with some of our younger players. For Bacchus Marsh to say he "has reshaped the way our players think about themselves and their club" is a big statement. The hearts and minds of our list is the current battleground. If we can drive investment, ownership and pride in our club from the list, thats great. That's Port Adelaide.

Noongars are the Zulus of Australia according to WA indigenious expert academic Dr Sean Gorman. Maybe he brings some of that warrior spirit, that has disappeared in spades from the club in the Koch-Hinkley era.

Bacchus Marsh is Zak Butters country. Wonder if that had any link to him getting the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back