Toast Plan B

Remove this Banner Ad

A major criticism of Knights, it appears we now have a plan B. Whenever Carlton looked to be getting a run on, we switched to a more defensive mindset and stopped the bleeding.

Hopefully this continues throughout the year, and we become a harder team to score against.:thumbsu:

Personally I think our defensive side showed last year against St.Kilda. There were times they got away from us (especially in the last quarter) but most of the game we had 3 players around the play ready to tackle whenever they had the ball.

Had a stream going to watch the game, but was listening to it on the radio to hear some expert opinions also. One of the boundary guys said everytime we had the 'lightning bolt sign' going to all players, which he thought meant players had to go into defence mode; Carlton got a run on and we were trying too hard to stop the bleeding. Am not convinced it is there yet (a plan B), hopefully we can knock over West Coast next week to silence the critics.

Yeah I noticed that whole fist signal thing as well. It was definitely a sign to slow things down (a bit more subtle than the universal hold the ball up above your head signal which is ambiguous and subjective as hell).
Good strategy, so long as we can effectively initiate the basketball type screens to free up a player to take an uncontested mark further downfield.

I liked it but I must admit I had my heart in my mouth a few times, not sure if we have the foot skills to pull it off every time.

I noticed Stants working quite hard to provide an option during these plays. Didn't have a great game but I was impressed with that.

V V Good sign from Mr Knights. A step in the right direction. Stems goals. Halts opposition momentum AND gives the guys a breather.

Thought it was a good sign that Knights is actually starting to think a bit more rather than plough on with blinkers.

Keep it up Knights!

cant win can you. they complain and whinge when they hold to ball up to slow the play to stop the other teams momentum, but its the same idiot who will call talk back on the way home to have a go at knights if they didnt change up the tactics and ended up kicking to a contest and losing the game.

Im not sure if i can find any stats on it but i thought Carlton scored a lot in the first half in the last 5 minutes of the qtrs so i tend to disagree the sentiments in here. I can remember one occasion after they had scored a goal during the fist signal time that one of our on-ballers (Winderlich i think) ran off his man to chase the ball when really it should of been keeping body contact on his man. Our defenders seem to be quite good at holding up the play but some of our mids need it to be drummed into their heads a bit more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the morons in the crowd yelling "kick it!" when we're holding the ball up to stop the momentum.

I assume you're referring to the end of the third quarter, IIRC the only time we significantly halted play.

IMO there's clearly a time to move the ball on. With the zone set ups these days, we were getting forced to the goal line and skills went to s**t and if it wasn't for Carlton's insipidness we probably would have conceded some goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back