Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

charcolechaddy

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
Love the kid, is getting better at the little things with every game .

Every time we drop him it take away the opportunity to play structured football and halts his development.

Our spine need to play now every week as they are all developing.

charcolechaddy

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
I prefer forwards that can actually mark and kick more like Westhoff/Marshall than Dixon.
I like a forward line with both, if they can create forward line spacing they are extremely hard to defend.

Imagine the ball coming in and having Ryder and Marshall leading up and across we will get so many more one on one contests.

Add Charlie to the mix and our forward line looks close to elite if coached correctly and with some smart midfield play.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We would not be just giving him games for the sake of it, we are playing our most winningest player who has a demonstrable impact on team performance AND developing our most promising key position prospect since Warren G.

Early call but even in his present form I already like him more than Dixon, his quick hands and deft taps create more scoring chains, he suits our play on at all cost style, our players don't get lazy just bombing it long to a known gorilla AND he's a better finisher.
this is true, but i dont think Todd will ever develop into traditional type full forward and it would be foolishness to try and point him in that direction. His best role is the 2nd forward that works off the goal square gorilla and works for the goal square gorilla, he will always be a better player with another big body around him.

MitchIn3D

Boot-Studder
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wayne Carey said, whilst discussing Todd in the channel 7 coverage, that young key forwards don’t need to get carried away worrying about always marking the football. What they do need to worry about is making sure that they don’t get out-marked. It’s about stopping your opponent intercepting and taking them when you can.

Todd rarely gets out marked.

AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Moderator #210
Would like to see Darren Smith work one on one with Todd to reinforce the mentality you need to be a top centre half forward.

The tactics of the game have changed but the fundamentals remain the same. Command the ball, lead your defender to the contest, mark when you can and force a spillage where you can't, unbalance defenders with your mobility, win ground ball and get to as many contests as you can.

Smithy did it all over and over. He was the most reliable of set shots too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One observation I have is that he needs to lead harder. Can be a bit difficult with the unpredictability of our kicking inside 50, but I think some of his dropped marks are due to not getting enough separation from his opponent. There was some missed pushes in the back for sure but that's less of an issue if they can't reach you.

Janey

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wonder whether Todd Marshall would benefit from spending some time with Jenny Williams in a mentoring role. He has been through some really trying times outside of football and I expect that is still impacting on his game. Perhaps the motivation to play well to make his parents proud and happy is not there now. Every time I hear Jenny speak I am impressed by her enthusiasm and optimism and how much she cares about the wellbeing of the people she works with and wants them to be the best they can be. She also knows football clubs inside out and knows what is expected from the players from an on-field perspective. Of course, Todd would have to be keen on the idea too.

JUSTWORK

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I wonder whether Todd Marshall would benefit from spending some time with Jenny Williams in a mentoring role. He has been through some really trying times outside of football and I expect that is still impacting on his game. Perhaps the motivation to play well to make his parents proud and happy is not there now. Every time I hear Jenny speak I am impressed by her enthusiasm and optimism and how much she cares about the wellbeing of the people she works with and wants them to be the best they can be. She also knows football clubs inside out and knows what is expected from the players from an on-field perspective. Of course, Todd would have to be keen on the idea too.
Id quite like to get her Brother mentoring him.

portly

Club Legend
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I did once speak negatively about Jenny, mainly because it didn't seem right for her role in the team that her brother coached.

To me her strength has always been to have a go and be positive and energetic.

Yes, she just might help.

Janey

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I did once speak negatively about Jenny, mainly because it didn't seem right for her role in the team that her brother coached.

To me her strength has always been to have a go and be positive and energetic.

Yes, she just might help.
It would still be dependent on whether Todd was interested to start with, but it just seems that her priority would be the players wellbeing off the field, but she also has a strong sporting background herself and would have been a very competitive player herself.

Anyway, just a thought.

Us against the rest

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Would like to see Darren Smith work one on one with Todd to reinforce the mentality you need to be a top centre half forward.

The tactics of the game have changed but the fundamentals remain the same. Command the ball, lead your defender to the contest, mark when you can and force a spillage where you can't, unbalance defenders with your mobility, win ground ball and get to as many contests as you can.

Smithy did it all over and over. He was the most reliable of set shots too.
That was such a good era, Smith, Hodges, Hynes combo and the Ragging Bull of course.

Us against the rest

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would have liked to see Marshall and Billy play together, if they are going to put Howard back again.
Howard is exciting up forward, hope ken gives him another go up their with big Bill in this game.

Top Bottom