Playing Arrangements for 2010 and 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Brave New World

Team Captain
Oct 31, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Next year we enter the Under 18 TAC Cup (2010). In the following year (2011) we enter either the VFL or (from a newspaper report by Caroline Wilson) a new competition. This would be a new second-tier competition outside the VFL, involving seconds teams from Brisbane, the Gold Coast and the Swans, or as part of an expanded Queensland competition.

As I understand the conditions of the entry of our team to the Under 18 TAC Cup, we will recruit the initial Squad from NSW (minus those on NSW scholarships), the ACT and the Northern Territory (with zoned priority access). I couldn’t find any limits for the actual number in the Squad. At the end of the 2010 season we will be able to add up to a dozen 17 year olds born between January and April 1993, with the option to relocate to Sydney for the 2011 season.

We will also have the option to trade some of this group to secure experienced AFL players from other clubs, though I am not sure if these trades are allowed for our entry into the VFL or other competition (2011) or must wait until AFL entry in 2012. To prepare for entry in the VFL/other we further have the option to sign 10 previously-listed and nominated players in 2010 and 2011; and at the end of the 2010 season we will have in the Rookie Draft Selections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

It is the year 2011 in the VFL or other competition which particularly interests me, for only one year later we are supposedly to have a list of up to 50 senior players with nine rookies (at the start of 2012). I cannot see how such a large group (if we have that many) can be prepared with only one side in the VFL/other competition for one year (2011). Logic would dictate that we probably field some type of seconds or reserves side in 2011. It will be interesting to see how the young bodies of the Gold Coast side go next year against the mature bodies in the VFL/other and maybe this will influence our options. These would seem to be to play the ‘reserves’ in the VFL ‘seconds’ or probably more likely in a second league of lesser standard (AFL Canberra, SFL etc).

This option could be by a stand-alone side or through a linked arrangement. The Swans’ experience is that the AFL Canberra is probably the best option. A stand-alone side in 2011 in the AFL Canberra would create a bye but prepare the way for a permanent arrangement for when the seniors are playing in the AFL, the list is gradually reduced overtime and a permanent arrangement is needed for our reserves.

Alternatively, this ‘reserves’ side could begin earlier in a linked arrangement for 2010 (e.g: an existing AFL Canberra or SFL side). This would allow former NSW Scholarship players, delisted players such as Ryan Davis, etc who are over 18 years old and who may not get back onto AFL lists to play and train as a prospective GWS group to choose from for 2011.

Some interesting points there BNW....

As I understand the conditions of the entry of our team to the Under 18 TAC Cup, we will recruit the initial Squad from NSW (minus those on NSW scholarships), the ACT and the Northern Territory (with zoned priority access). I couldn’t find any limits for the actual number in the Squad. At the end of the 2010 season we will be able to add up to a dozen 17 year olds born between January and April 1993, with the option to relocate to Sydney for the 2011 season.

GWS have not been barred access from any Scholarship listed players although I understand they have chosen not to approach any of those listed by the Swans (exactly why I'm not totally sure). Although nothing is confirmed as yet if GWS choses and gains agreement from the player to go onto the GWS list then it is likely they will have to trade a pick for that to happen.

We will also have the option to trade some of this group to secure experienced AFL players from other clubs, though I am not sure if these trades are allowed for our entry into the VFL or other competition (2011) or must wait until AFL entry in 2012. To prepare for entry in the VFL/other we further have the option to sign 10 previously-listed and nominated players in 2010 and 2011; and at the end of the 2010 season we will have in the Rookie Draft Selections 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I'm pretty sure GWS could trade those picks but I doubt they'd see a lot of value in pulling an AFL grade player back into a VFL or whatever team. I think you'll see (as the Gold Coast have) any trades for experienced players not coming for GWS until the end of 2011.

It is the year 2011 in the VFL or other competition which particularly interests me, for only one year later we are supposedly to have a list of up to 50 senior players with nine rookies (at the start of 2012). I cannot see how such a large group (if we have that many) can be prepared with only one side in the VFL/other competition for one year (2011). Logic would dictate that we probably field some type of seconds or reserves side in 2011. It will be interesting to see how the young bodies of the Gold Coast side go next year against the mature bodies in the VFL/other and maybe this will influence our options. These would seem to be to play the ‘reserves’ in the VFL ‘seconds’ or probably more likely in a second league of lesser standard (AFL Canberra, SFL etc).

I think the answer there is that they *could* have an active list of up to that many but will probably chose to keep it smaller ~ 26 to 30 and just run the single team. I think that is what the GC are doing.

GWS have not been barred access from any Scholarship listed players although I understand they have chosen not to approach any of those listed by the Swans (exactly why I'm not totally sure). Although nothing is confirmed as yet if GWS choses and gains agreement from the player to go onto the GWS list then it is likely they will have to trade a pick for that to happen.

Swan's Scholarship players get to play Swan's Reserves (other scholarship players do not get invited there), and rep football ... although, it may not be so easy for them to get a run in rep sides now with the new focus!:rolleyes:

Surely the presence of the new team changes the situation so much that this sort of conclusion needs re-evaluation.

The AFL should assist the Swans with developing their own catchment beyond eastern Sydney. For example: Wollongong to the south and Central Coast- Newcastle to the north.

GWS looks to be aligning with traditional AFL areas in NSW - Riverina and ACT and perhaps Western NSW.

This leaves the huge coastal populations for the Swans which apart from the Black Diamond League around Newcastle (going as far back as the 1880-90s) have little in the way of reasonable size Australian football grass roots.

Big opportuntity to grow both pies if done right.

I think the answer there is that they *could* have an active list of up to that many but will probably chose to keep it smaller ~ 26 to 30 and just run the single team. I think that is what the GC are doing.

I agree that this is the best and probably most likely option however what does that mean for 2012? will they then have up to 20 new players + rookies for their first year in the afl? I would imagine this would be a difficult situation bringing in so many new players.

The other thing i was wondering was whether the 2nds will be playing in the VFL or AFL Canberra in 2012. Would have thought for the benefit of the club building its image in NSW AFL canberra would be best but for the team to improve its players, and with a VFL team already established they might stay in the VFL.

Don't really understand how GWS will be put together, but it doesn't appear as if you guys get the same concessions as GC17. GC17's first AFL season is 2011 and Mr D wants you guys up and running in the AFL for the 2012 season. The 2010 draft is already compromised extensively and the majority of kids from the 2011 draft won't be AFL ready immediately. Is it feasible that Mr D is expecting a current AFL team to fold or merge with you?

Don't really understand how GWS will be put together, but it doesn't appear as if you guys get the same concessions as GC17. GC17's first AFL season is 2011 and Mr D wants you guys up and running in the AFL for the 2012 season. The 2010 draft is already compromised extensively and the majority of kids from the 2011 draft won't be AFL ready immediately. Is it feasible that Mr D is expecting a current AFL team to fold or merge with you?

We're getting the same concessions as GC plus access to extra 17 year olds that we can then trade for players/picks plus access to two years of uncontracted players (because the zone access to NSW isn't as potent as zone access to Qld these days). I'm not sure how you think we're not getting the same concessions?

I agree that this is the best and probably most likely option however what does that mean for 2012? will they then have up to 20 new players + rookies for their first year in the afl? I would imagine this would be a difficult situation bringing in so many new players.

The other thing i was wondering was whether the 2nds will be playing in the VFL or AFL Canberra in 2012. Would have thought for the benefit of the club building its image in NSW AFL canberra would be best but for the team to improve its players, and with a VFL team already established they might stay in the VFL.

Good points. This is where being a year behind the GC in their respective development paths makes it really diffficult for GWS. Could easily see GWS building a partnership with one of the weaker Canberra teams next year. Could then see an expanded list next year with 8 - 10 players playing in the Canberra league and the rest in the VFL. Ditto going forward into 2012 to cover their seconds. I'm just guessing but it could be a possibility the same way those partnerships work for the Melbourne AFL teams and the VFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back