Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seems like the same people that scouted Will Phillips.

I can’t say what he’s like in a center square role, but in match sim today he had 100% DE. He has no problem putting on the jets and achieving some separation. He’s an excellent kick in space from about 10hrs of first hand viewing now.
Surely every player should be good kicking in space.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Seems like the same people that scouted Will Phillips.

I can’t say what he’s like in a center square role, but in match sim today he had 100% DE. He has no problem putting on the jets and achieving some separation. He’s an excellent kick in space from about 10hrs of first hand viewing now.
Tongue planted firmly in cheek, I'd be shocked if anyone that had watched him at Half Back previously would suggest he can't kick when in space/ out of the backline. It'll be interesting to see whether he's kept there long term or whether he joins the midfield rotation, the thought of him and JHF attending the same stoppages is scary

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely every player should be good kicking in space.

Yes, most are.

From plenty of hours of viewing now, he's a good kick in all situations.

Pre-draft hysteria in the mud IMO, anyway, people will see soon enough in a few weeks in the pre-season games.

Yes, most are.

Pre-draft hysteria in the mud IMO, anyway, people will see soon enough in a few weeks in the pre-season games.
You’ve gone and done it now.

Yes, most are.

I think a lot of strengths weakness of kids can be exaggerated.
Often people (non professionals) are working off the same limited information. If a piece of footage is easily accessible and widely spread shows a player doing something either bad or good, that may or may not be a characteristic of the player generally, that is going to form part of the perception rightfully or wrongfully.
Notes are shared between draft watchers, if someone watched a game in which player x misses a couple of kicks, this might become part of the narrative, you may start hearing it from multiple people, but it is all from the same origin.

Im not saying this is the case with Goater, but may be the case. I have heard he has question marks on his kicking, I have not seen anywhere near enough to make my own mind up.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
I think a lot of strengths weakness of kids can be exaggerated.
Often people (non professionals) are working off the same limited information. If a piece of footage is easily accessible and widely spread shows a player doing something either bad or good, that may or may not be a characteristic of the player generally, that is going to form part of the perception rightfully or wrongfully.
Notes are shared between draft watchers, if someone watched a game in which player x misses a couple of kicks, this might become part of the narrative, you may start hearing it from multiple people, but it is all from the same origin.

Im not saying this is the case with Goater, but may be the case. I have heard he has question marks on his kicking, I have not seen anywhere near enough to make my own mind up.
It all snowballs pretty quickly, especially around draft time where you go from a few voices making comments off of watching full games to suddenly everyone making comments off of highlights or those few voices comments and adding some mayo to make it their 'own', it can get frustrating when someone brings your own comments back to you that they've reworded as well.

On the sharing notes, I can't speak for others but I know those that I talk to regularly will just compare notes but very rarely does it result in any of us changing our actual rankings or what we say about a player, it becomes something you note down and start to look for moreso than straight up going 'Yeah ok I'll go with that too'

It all snowballs pretty quickly, especially around draft time where you go from a few voices making comments off of watching full games to suddenly everyone making comments off of highlights or those few voices comments and adding some mayo to make it their 'own', it can get frustrating when someone brings your own comments back to you that they've reworded as well.

On the sharing notes, I can't speak for others but I know those that I talk to regularly will just compare notes but very rarely does it result in any of us changing our actual rankings or what we say about a player, it becomes something you note down and start to look for moreso than straight up going 'Yeah ok I'll go with that too'
exactly how it works.

The more you see of someone the less influenced you are by others. But if you have limited viewing of a player, human nature is to take the information you have to form your opinion, the less you have, the more you weight on things like what such and such as said.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
exactly how it works.

The more you see of someone the less influenced you are by others. But if you have limited viewing of a player, human nature is to take the information you have to form your opinion, the less you have, the more you weight on things like what such and such as said.
In that case, I am an incredibly skilled footy player and would've made it to the big leagues if it weren't for injury

In that case, I am an incredibly skilled footy player and would've made it to the big leagues if it weren't for injury
unfortunately for you the credibility of the source of information is a factor.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
unfortunately for you the credibility of the source of information is a factor.
I look forward to following the Goose 2022 Draft Thread

The on named that of course, there's plenty of existing Threads from Geese

Id be simply taking the information of others more qualified and averaging their opinions weighted on my perceived reliability.

As such I would have claimed Goater was a poor kick.

I haven't said this in a while, but re-confirming, I wasnt happy with your picks for us in the phantom.

Much happier with who we did grab.

FK58OraLFH6g4Te0QOasHm5ScEs=.gif

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yousef Dibb was pretty impressive in North's intraclub as a top up player today. Nice size, nice wheels and an excellent kick.

What the hell were Collingwood thinking not nominating him as an NGA player and then taking him as a Cat B rookie if undrafted?

Madness for a rebuilding side.

If he plays like that in the VFL, he will be a MSD candidate imo.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Yousef Dibb was pretty impressive in North's intraclub as a top up player today. Nice size, nice wheels and an excellent kick.

What the hell were Collingwood thinking not nominating him as an NGA player and then taking him as a Cat B rookie if undrafted?

Madness for a rebuilding side.

If he plays like that in the VFL, he will be a MSD candidate imo.
Must have worked on his kicking over the break if it really was excellent, was probably his biggest controllable weakness last year

Must have worked on his kicking over the break if it really was excellent, was probably his biggest controllable weakness last year
Going to play for north’s vfl side, so some coaching and training with afl players may have helped.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

He had a shaved head and no moustache, but track watchers seem to think it was Dibb who has signed with North VFL. So it would make sense from that perspective, if it wasn't him, I would certainly like to know who it was.

His footskills stood out tbh, he hit 3-4 absolute bullets in through the corridor in windy conditions.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
He had a shaved head and no moustache, but track watchers seem to think it was Dibb who has signed with North VFL. So it would make sense from that perspective, if it wasn't him, I would certainly like to know who it was.

His footskills stood out tbh, he hit 3-4 absolute bullets in through the corridor in windy conditions.
Ah yeah that could be it, penetration was never an issue but placement, particularly under pressure, was, and consistency. I liked him, I thought for Collingwood especially he could've been really handy as a pressure forward

Back