Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not really a great draft for rucks unfortunately, Jordan Lukac could be one from SA that isn't club linked that is available late, but I'd be holding off until next year given everything we've seen so far suggests it'll be a good ruck draft

How about Oscar Steene? Obviously has been added to the National Combine and I reckon he will surprise a number with his testing.

How about Oscar Steene? Obviously has been added to the National Combine and I reckon he will surprise a number with his testing.
He's been pretty well beaten in the ruck everytime I've seen him, nothing really stands out as a "Needs to be on a list" trait to me, especially when you could wait a year to try and get one of the guys in 2022

He's been pretty well beaten in the ruck everytime I've seen him, nothing really stands out as a "Needs to be on a list" trait to me, especially when you could wait a year to try and get one of the guys in 2022

Didn't he get pantsed by South a few weeks ago?

I know that but wasn't South playing in game 1?
Yeah it was, probably less negative getting beaten by a physically stronger and more well developed ruck than a 16 year old though, even if that 16 year old is also a man mountain

Yeah it was, probably less negative getting beaten by a physically stronger and more well developed ruck than a 16 year old though, even if that 16 year old is also a man mountain

I watched Broadbent in that game was impressed by him.

I don't know what his measurements are but, yep, big bulky bastard.

He's officially on the radar now.

And, having being beaten by someone a year younger that you instead of someone your age, that dints the ego a bit.

I watched Broadbent in that game was impressed by him.

I don't know what his measurements are but, yep, big bulky bastard.

He's officially on the radar now.

And, having being beaten by someone a year younger that you instead of someone your age, that dints the ego a bit.
Broadbent is 205 cm and 92 kg to be fair, he could very realistically be the number 1 ruck for an AFL side next year with his measurements

Hey PMBangers how is next years talent out of SA trending at the moment?
Really good, I assume by now everyone has heard about Harry Lemmey given his form over the past month and a bit as a key forward, he'll be one that goes into next year as a Pick 1 contender I'd have thought and has a bit of JJK about him imo. Kobe Ryan, Adam D'Aloia and Jaiden Magor are 3 midfielders that look like they'll start the year in or around the top 10, Magor more forward atm but will almost certainly push in, then you have Isaac Keeler, Will Verrall and Harry Barnett that'll likely be seen as around the first round mark heading in to the year as well. Some more guys after that top handful that I've like are Tyson Walls, Nick Sadler, Mattaes Phillipou, Max Blacker and Brodie Tuck, and I know Max Michalanny has fans as well, so looking solid from my perspective, but guys like Chris25 and ModernArtillery are gonna be able to give you better insight than me

Really good, I assume by now everyone has heard about Harry Lemmey given his form over the past month and a bit as a key forward, he'll be one that goes into next year as a Pick 1 contender I'd have thought and has a bit of JJK about him imo. Kobe Ryan, Adam D'Aloia and Jaiden Magor are 3 midfielders that look like they'll start the year in or around the top 10, Magor more forward atm but will almost certainly push in, then you have Isaac Keeler, Will Verrall and Harry Barnett that'll likely be seen as around the first round mark heading in to the year as well. Some more guys after that top handful that I've like are Tyson Walls, Nick Sadler, Mattaes Phillipou, Max Blacker and Brodie Tuck, and I know Max Michalanny has fans as well, so looking solid from my perspective, but guys like Chris25 and ModernArtillery are gonna be able to give you better insight than me
Beaut- cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who'll be the 2022 equivalent of BFONE?
So many to choose from it's hard to nail down, if we're going for the following criteria;

- Universally loved on Bigfooty
- Western Australian
- PSA player
- Can play Mid and forward

Then it's probably Edward Allen or Jack Cleaver (Cleaver can play defense too) . If it's more broad as just 'Universally loved on bigfooty' it'll be Tsatas, Hollands or Clark I reckon

So many to choose from it's hard to nail down, if we're going for the following criteria;

- Western Australian
- PSA player

Then it's probably Edward Allen or Jack Cleaver (Cleaver can play defense too) . If it's more broad as just 'Universally loved on bigfooty' it'll be Tsatas, Hollands or Clark I reckon

Just keep your grubby hands off of Wardlaw please.

He's mine.

- Western Australian
- PSA player

Surely a name like Jack Cleaver has to have some sort of Jack the Ripper themed nickname

Just keep your grubby hands off of Wardlaw please.

He's mine.
I can already see the queries on some obscure trait that no one thinks of for any other player though, we could be in for another JHF v Daicos year with Wardlaw v Ashcroft

I can already see the queries on some obscure trait that no one thinks of for any other player though, we could be in for another JHF v Daicos year with Wardlaw v Ashcroft
As long as you never say anything bad about Ashcroft yet still have him slipping to 15 we promise it won't happen.

As long as you never say anything bad about Ashcroft yet still have him slipping to 15 we promise it won't happen.

Okay.

Tsatas.
Wardlaw.
Lemmey.
Hollands.
Jefferson.
Clark.
Cleaver.
Busslinger.
D'Aloia.
Long.
Kobe Ryan.
Rahui.
Hagan.
Keeler.
W. Verrell.
Broadbent.
Condon.
Windsor.
Payne.
Sheezel.
Magor.
Tuck.
Ashcroft.

Happy with this?

Okay.

Tsatas.
Wardlaw.
Lemmey.
Hollands.
Jefferson.
Clark.
Cleaver.
Busslinger.
D'Aloia.
Long.
Kobe Ryan.
Rahui.
Hagan.
Keeler.
W. Verrell.
Broadbent.
Condon.
Windsor.
Payne.
Sheezel.
Magor.
Tuck.
Ashcroft.

Happy with this?
Where's Jaspa Fletcher? Second best kid in the class behind he-who-shall-not-be-named.
In all seriousness though shout-out to all the draft watchers who are game enough to put their opinions out there, is a pretty tough gig but I always appreciate the effort and different views/opinions on players.

Where's Jaspa Fletcher? Second best kid in the class behind he-who-shall-not-be-named.
In all seriousness though shout-out to all the draft watchers who are game enough to put their opinions out there, is a pretty tough gig but I always appreciate the effort and different views/opinions on players.

SHH!

He who shan't be talked about won't be talked about.

Oh what a year of underage footy hey, looking forward to the weeks ahead but one final scouting notes for the year... I hope (and my favourite from each writer)

#4 Tyson Walls (Norwood)

Walls was a little warrior in the midfield, showing his stature had no say on his impact. He offered plenty of drive from the midfield, winning his fair share of contested ball but also spreading hard to have impact on the outside. The Norwood prospect showed great agility around the ground, proving hard to tackle but having no trouble tackling others. In those instances, he was tenacious not just with his tackles, but also his attack on the ball. Walls formed a great partnership with the likes of Nick Sadler and Kobe Ryan, with all three showing great work rate all day.

#9 Elijah Hewett (Swan Districts)

After a starring role in the WAFL Colts Grand Final the previous week, Hewett backed that up with a best-on-ground performance against the SA 17s, as he racked up possessions through the midfield and used the ball effectively going forward. Hewett demonstrated a high level work rate throughout the game, consistently repeating his efforts when required, working hard to tackle and pressure opponents, and running repeatedly to get the ball back after giving it off. Hewett was relentless in his hunt for the ball, running through opponents and even teammates at times to win it at ground level or lay a hard tackle on an opponent. Hewett did his best work in the contest, but he wasn’t slack with his work on the outside, linking up to get handballs and happy to run his distance and take a bounce before moving the ball on. Hewett also hit the scoreboard twice; one coming as he took advantage of a teammate’s free kick on the wing, ran to the 50-metre mark and kicked well for his first.

#11 Harvey Harrison (North Adelaide)

Harrison consistently presented as an option through the corridor, where he was often used when rebounding out of defence or to switch the play to the open side. Always looking to move the ball on quickly, Harrison used his burst of speed to create separation from his opponent and find some space to deliver to his teammates. Primarily a midfielder for North Adelaide in the SANFL Under 18’s, Harrison has adjusted well to his role across half forward in his appearances for South Australia where his ability to apply pressure around the football, link up with teammates through the middle of the ground and distribute effectively by hand and foot have been key in his performances at the level.

#26 Shay Linke (Central District)

Linke was perhaps South Australia’s best performer in its narrow defeat to Western Australia. Running through the midfield, he had a couple of quick kicks early in the contest and was quick to apply pressure on the ball carrier. The tough, defensive stuff would continue to be a feature of the Barossa product’s match as the game wore on. His cleanness at ground level and ability to weave his way through traffic set him apart from the other SA on-ballers. Linke also used the ball to good effect even when under pressure. He used his extra height to good effect too, taking numerous strong overhead marks in the forward half of the ground in a strong display.

#7 Angus Sheldrick (Claremont)

Awarded best on ground for the game, Sheldrick just kept racking up contested possessions for fun through the contest, with SA not having a proper answer for his strength on the inside of the contest. To go along with his superior contested game, Sheldrick was at his best with his ball use, hitting some impressive kicks into the centre corridor from the defensive half of the ground, starting off a few promising attacking plays. The continued workrate from Sheldrick to get contest-to-contest meant opponents were forced to cut corners at times to slow him down, giving Sheldrick some valuable free kicks. When the game was on the line, it was Sheldrick who stepped up late, intercepting an opposition handball, running into an open goal and easily slotting it.

#20 James Tunstill (East Perth)

One of the better West Australians on the day, was at least cleaner more often than not, particularly via hand, able to open the game up with long 45-degree handballs to a running teammate. Not only did he find plenty of the ball, but his second and third efforts through defensive pressure and shepherds were also noticeable, and he kept winning the pill throughout the match. He had a nice kick positioning well to Arthur Jones in the final quarter, and kept trying to move the ball in transition.

First attempt at a phantom
So everyone else is doing it and I hate being left out, here's a quick crack. This'll certainly change over the course of the next 6 weeks as I FINALLY get to rewatch some vic footage and remind how good those kids are (for example, rewatched the first Sandy v Oakleigh game and was reminded that Daicos was battling a corkie issue for the majority of the season, insanity) and go back through WA and SA footy looking out for bottom agers in particular, I'm sure some draft eligible guys this year will pop back up into my mind.
pt 1.PNG
pt 2.PNG
*There's no guarantee my maths here is correct, so don't @ me about it

I think there's still guys that we haven't spoken about much on bigfooty that'll end up bolting into the top 35-40, Caminiti is my guess personally as one that could go high, I personally think he's a better prospect than Jack Williams given his athletic advantage, but it's just one of hundreds of those little debates that'll be had. A few names I considered at various points that I think will be in contention as well; Jamieson Ballentyne, Jake Soligo, Taj Woewodin, Kade Dittmar, Jai Serong. I'm still not super convinced on a lot of SA guys, but Cooper Beecken, Lewis Rayson and Morgan Ferres I considered for some of those picks past 45 as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back