Phantom Draft Adzy's 2023 Phantom (Full Phantom posted 16/11/23)

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 PHANTOM DRAFT
Ages as of draft night

Round one

Pick 1, West Coast
Harley Reid | Utility 185cm/85kg
VIC Country | Bendigo Pioneers
Plays like: Christian Petracca
Profile: Contested ball-winning mid with strength who can boot goals up forward and take big marks.

Rationale: There isn’t much more to say than we already know about Harley Reid. He will go at #1 no matter which club holds the pick, and he will start as Rising Star favourite. I expect the Eagles to retain the pick and groom Reid into the team immediately in 2024. He will likely be a star in years to come.

Pick 2, Gold Coast [academy bid]
Suns need 2014 points to match. Lose picks 24, 26, 27. Gain picks 2 and Pick 56.

Jed Walter | Key Forward 194cm/91kg
Allies | GC Academy
Plays like: Charlie Curnow
Profile: Strong key forward with natural goal sense. Also has decent ground level game.

Rationale: The Suns will match any bid for Walter. Not too far off being the #1 prospect (in my opinion), Walter will see playing opportunities at the Suns in 2024.

Pick 3, North Melbourne
Zane Duursma | General Forward 189cm/79kg
VIC Country | Gippsland Power
Plays like: Jordan De Goey
Profile: Aerially gifted medium forward with scoreboard impact and ball-winning potential

Rationale: The mercurial forward will almost certainly become a Roo in order to boost Clarkson’s goal kicking stocks, with potential to grow into an attacking midfielder in years to come.

Pick 4, North Melbourne [McKay compensation pick]
Colby McKercher | Inside Midfielder 181cm/73kg
Allies | Tasmania Devils
Plays like: Josh Kelly
Profile: Sharp-using ball winning midfielder who has stood well above in most of his outings.

Rationale: North Melbourne already have an abundance of up-and-coming midfielders but I don’t think you can pass up a player like McKercher when you have the opportunity to get them. A near complete midfielder, with LDU, Wardlaw, Phillips and Thomas, these boys can form a formidable midfield group in the 2020’s.

Pick 5, Hawthorn
Daniel Curtin | Key Defender 195cm/93kg
Western Australia | Claremont
Plays like: Tom Stewart
Profile: Wonderfully versatile defender who performs on the big occasions.

Rationale: Curtin is the embodiment of the modern tall defender – strong, mobile, finely skilled and a big game player. The Hawks unsuccessfully targeted Ben McKay in the trade period, so they were obviously prepared to spend big on a tall defender. Should Curtin stand before them on the night, I think he’s the way to go. Grainger-Barras just hasn’t been able to secure his spot in the side that the Hawks spent big on in 2020.

Pick 6, Western Bulldogs [from Gold Coast]
Nick Watson | Small Forward 170cm/67kg
VIC Metro | Eastern Ranges
Plays like: Tom Papley
Profile: Blissfully skilled little forward who is equally as creative as he is clinical.

Rationale: The Western Bulldogs have been a little behind the game in recent times with regards to the importance of speed and skill inside forward fifty. It is their biggest fault in their list. Besides Weightman, the cupboard is bare. Size is no concern for Watson given his attack on the footy and acceleration away from contests. He marks well and kicks beautifully. Exactly what the Bulldogs need.

Pick 7, Melbourne [from Fremantle]
Ryley Sanders | Inside Midfielder 186cm/85kg
Allies | Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Adam Cerra
Profile: Tough well-rounded ball winning mid with elite handballing and positioning

Rationale: Though their midfield is not old by any stretch of the imagination, the Demons have a large age gap in their midfield group and it’s time to make amends. They shed Harmes, Jordon and Dunstan from their midfield depth over the off-season and added nobody. I think they’d love Sanders to add another big body to boost the rotations, and allow the flexibility of shifting Petracca forward more. Sanders has clean skills and could be a best 22 addition to Melbourne during their premiership window.

Pick 8, GWS Giants [from Richmond]
Nate Caddy | Key Forward/Midfielder 192cm/91kg
VIC Metro | Northern Knights
Plays like: Darcy Fogarty
Profile: Dynamic big forward with midfield potential.

Rationale: Best available at this selection and to me Caddy is a great fit. Will provide great competition to the forwards already at the club.

Pick 9, Gold Coast [matched bid]
Suns need 1175 points to match. Lose picks 30, 34 and 36. Gain picks 9 and 37.

Ethan Read | Ruck 200cm/88kg
Allies | Gold Coast Academy
Plays like: Tim English
Profile: Strong-marking athletic ruck with elite tank

Rationale: Like Walter, the Suns won’t pass up Read who will be the successor to Jarrod Witts. I expect the bid to come from Geelong.

Pick 10, Geelong
Connor O’Sullivan | Key Defender 198cm/82kg
Allies | Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Jeremy McGovern
Profile: Proactive defender who racks it up and rebounds efficiently

Rationale: O’Sullivan is a ripping big defender and super likely to become a great player at the top level. The Cats surprised me last year when they didn’t take a defender in the draft, after holding Esava to his contract. Now that he’s gone, the reserves are bare. Not a worry though, O’Sullivan is exactly the type of player who want to sit at centre half-back in front of De Koning for 10 years.

Pick 11, Western Bulldogs [matched bid]
Bulldogs need 1063 points to match. Lose picks 44, 46, 48 and 49. Gain picks 11 and 55

Jordan Croft | Key Forward 201cm/80kg
VIC Metro | Calder Cannons
Plays like: Eric Hipwood
Profile: Agile big forward-ruck with plenty of improvement to come.

Rationale: An earlier bid than fancied by most, the Dogs may have to pay up a bit for Croft but they’ll be happy to get him. With Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Darcy already spearheading their attack for the next decade, it’ll be interesting to see if Croft is developed down back, if the Dogs don’t switch Darcy or Naughton.

Pick 12, Essendon
Darcy Wilson | Balanced Midfielder 185cm/73kg
VIC Country | Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Chad Warner
Profile: Clever, evasive midfielder with scoreboard impact.

Rationale: There’s one last player in what I consider to be category 2 of this draft and that is Wilson. He’s got a few more strings to his bow than some of the current Essendon midfielders – including the ability to play half-forward – and that’s why I expect him to appeal to them. No stranger to the scoreboard, he’s got the skills and slick ball movement to add to Essendon’s depth of mids..

Pick 13, Adelaide
Caleb Windsor | Outside Midfielder 184cm/74kg
Plays like: Ed Langdon
Profile: Energetic winger with rapid speed and runs both ways

Rationale: Run and carry, and urgent movement toward their strong forward line is what can take Adelaide to the next level. Windsor provides this and seems a great fit.

Pick 14, Melbourne [from Western Bulldogs, via Gold Coast]
James Leake | Utility 188cm/74kg
Allies | Tasmania
Plays like: Jeremy Howe
Profile: Versatile mid-size option who has looked terrific up forward and down back.

Rationale: Noted for his ability to play well at both ends, I think Leake is a great best available selection for Melbourne in order to boost their marking stocks at either end. Personally, I think he should be developed as an intercepting defender in his early days.

Pick 15, Sydney Swans
Koltyn Tholstrup | Inside Midfielder/General Forward 186cm/86kg
Western Australia | Subiaco
Plays like: Zac Bailey
Profile: Zippy midfield-forward with strong hands and good touch

Rationale: Tholstrup’s flair and goal kicking will be a welcome addition to Sydney’s midfield group. He is a classy user forward of centre, and just seems a type of player who will thrive under Longmire, like Gulden before him.

Pick 16, Gold Coast [matched bid]
Suns need 854 points to match. Lose picks 37, 50, 60. Gain picks 16 and 70.

Jake Rogers | Inside Midfielder 172cm/69kg
Plays like: Dylan Moore
Profile: Tough, nuggety two-way running midfielder with forward potential

Rationale: The third Suns’ academy prospect set to stay home, Rogers is a ripping talent forward of centre with his grittiness, speed and ability to cause damage up forward.

Pick 17, St Kilda
Harry DeMattia | Inside Midfielder/Utility 185cm/78kg
VIC Metro | Dandenong Country
Plays like: Taylor Adams
Profile: Explosive athlete with speed to burn. Runs both ways and is versatile.

Rationale: It’s not easy to get speed out of the middle at this stage in the draft, but the Saints may be able to secure it in DeMattia who is equipped to burst out of the middle and use the ball well, and also able to get back and defend when things are going the other way.

Pick 18, Adelaide [from Melbourne, via Gold Coast]
Charlie Edwards | Inside Midfielder 190cm/82kg
VIC Metro | Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Jarrod Berry
Profile: Tall ball-winning midfielder with gusto and acceleration

Rationale: The Crows need midfield depth more than anything in my opinion. Edwards is a unique midfielder in this draft who will likely take more time to blossom, but the Crows have time on their side. Upside is a word that drives me nuts but he has it, and a lot of it if he can really put it together.

Pick 19, Hawthorn [matched bid]
Hawks need 758 points to match. Lose picks 39 and 42. Gain picks 19 and 66.

Will McCabe | Key Defender 197cm/81kg
South Australia | Central District
Plays like: Nick Blakey
Profile: Quick, mobile big defender who can intercepts and sets up play.

Rationale: The Hawks will match any unreasonable bid on McCabe which looks set to come after 15. Following some midfield heavy drafts, Curtin and McCabe can set up the posts for a strong Hawks back line in years to come.

Pick 20, North Melbourne [from Port Adelaide]
Ollie Murphy | Key Defender 200cm/85kg
Plays like: Charlie Ballard
Profile: Clever intercepting defender whose attack on the footy is a standout

Rationale: If North don’t take Curtin early, they’ll need defenders later and if Murphy is available at this selection, I think it’s a no-brainer. Murphy is strong and reliable in contested situations down back.

Pick 21, GWS Giants
Koen Sanchez | Balanced Midfielder/Small Forward 177cm/69kg
Western Australia | East Fremantle
Plays like: Liam Baker
Profile: Crafty and efficient goal kicking midfielder with great marking hands for his size

Rationale: One of my favourite prospects, Sanchez has the skillset to make it in any non-key position on the ground in my opinion. His skills are a true weapon and his ability to link up with teammates and read the play ahead of time is a pleasure to watch. I think he’s comparable to Brent Daniels but with better midfield ability. A great fit for the Giants – best available again.

Pick 22, North Melbourne [from Carlton]
Lance Collard | Small Forward 185cm/66kg
Plays like: Will Hayward
Profile: Opportunistic and mercurial ground level forward who is capable as a marking target

Rationale: A small forward as prolific in big games as Collard has been won’t be sitting for too much longer I wouldn’t think. A player who can make something from nothing will really boost North during their rebuild, and can help turn them into a competitive side once more.

Pick 23, North Melbourne [from Brisbane Lions, via Western Bulldogs via Gold Coast]
Archie Roberts | General Defender 184cm/77kg
Plays like: Wil Powell
Profile: Confident driving defender who is reliable from kick ins and gels with teammates

Rationale: The fifth selection for North who have ticked a few boxes and lastly, I think they really need an aggressive rebounding defender who can move the ball with ease and take kick ins.

Pick 24, Collingwood
Arie Schoenmaker | Key Defender 194cm/91kg
Allies | Tasmania
Plays like: Shannon Hurn
Profile: Booming playmaking defender who marks strongly and moves the ball with ease

Rationale: Following the uncertainty of Nathan Murphy’s future, I’d be stunned if the Pies didn’t look to add to their defensive depth this draft. Schoenmaker’s ability to clear 60 metres from the last line of defence will suit McRae’s fast rebounding game style. Could improve his defensive application but that can be coached.

Pick 25, Adelaide [Doedee compensation pick]
Angus Hastie | Medium Defender 190cm/74kg
VIC Country | Geelong Falcons
Plays like: Lachie Whitfield
Profile: Quick, skilful and ambitious rebounding defender who intercepts well too

Rationale: Hastie is a player that could surprise on the night and go top 20 in my opinion. The importance of players with daring overlapping run and good skills from defence has never been greater. He can really boost Adelaide’s ball movement from defence to the benefit of their great forward line.

Pick 26, St Kilda [Gresham compensation pick]
Harvey Johnston | Balanced Midfielder 183cm/79kg
Plays like: Ben Keays
Profile: Swift attacking midfielder who can play inside or out, and hurt forward of centre.

Rationale: Another boost to St Kilda’s midfield. Johnston is a reliable second touch midfielder who the Saints will like moving the ball to their forwards.

Pick 27, Carlton [North Melbourne 2023 assistance pick]
Jack Delean | Small Forward 181cm/77kg
South Australia | South Adelaide
Plays like: Jamie Elliott
Profile: Prolific goal kicking small forward with a spring in his step

Rationale: I think Delean projects to be better than any little forward currently on the Blues’ list. They’ve got capable crumbing options, but Delean is not only a good crumbing forward option but he’s a frequent leading target and reads the flight of the ball well. Can give the Blues another consistent goal kicking option.

Round two

Pick 28, West Coast
Joel Freijah | Wing 190cm/88kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Plays like: Kyle Langford
Profile: Tall skilful outside mid with the frame and skillset to fill roles across the ground

Rationale: The Eagles are still shallow for emerging midfield depth and Freijah could be a bargain buy in the second round. He is able to get forward and hit the scoreboard often as a marking target, and he covers plenty of ground through the middle.

Pick 29, Geelong [North Melbourne 2022 assistance pick, via Fremantle via Port Adelaide]
Billy Wilson | General Defender/Inside Midfielder 182cm/71kg
VIC Country | Dandenong Stingrays
Plays like: Jye Caldwell
Profile: Accumulating ball-winning midfielder with strong rebounding game

Rationale: Though he has spent much of his junior footy playing half-back, it has been Wilson’s late season midfield form which has seen him rise up the rankings, by winning plenty of footy, linking well with teammates and getting it inside 50. A prospering midfield option, I think he’s a nice boost to Geelong’s young midfield group.

Pick 30, Carlton [from Hawthorn, via Sydney via North Melbourne]
Will Green | Ruck 204cm/89kg
Plays like: Toby Nankervis
Profile: Strong marking around the ground ruck.

Rationale: Although Pittonet and De Koning re-signed last season, I still think Carlton would like another developing ruck option for the future. I think Green has a good skillset and can be a complimentary piece in a two-ruck side.

Pick 31, Richmond
Phoenix Gothard | Small Forward 178cm/72kg
Plays like: Lincoln McCarthy
Profile: Crafty and creative little forward whose speed forward of centre is a force

Rationale: With no first round selection, the Tigers need to make the most of their selections and take the best available. At this stage it’s Gothard who projects to be better than any small forward currently getting games at Tiger land. His skill and pressure will be loved at Punt Road, and he is a reliable goal kicker too.

Pick 32, Sydney Swans [matched bid]
Swans need 467 points to match. Lose picks 43 and 48. Gain picks 32 and 55.

Caiden Cleary | Inside Midfielder 182cm/79kg
Allies | Swans Academy
Plays like: Willem Drew
Profile: Hungry ground-level midfielder with good touch and smarts

Rationale: The Swans should match any unreasonable bid for Cleary, and he’ll provide additional midfield depth for the Swans for years to come. A potential bargain buy.

Pick 33, Brisbane Lions [from Geelong]
Luamon Lual | General Defender 182cm/72kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Plays like: Isaac Quaynor
Profile: Rapid running defender with aggressive ball movement

Rationale: Would love him to go earlier as I love this kid’s potential. Brisbane have a great side as it is, but sometimes I think they could do with another speedy runner out of defence. The need for speed is great in today’s game, and I think Lual would be a super fit for the grand finalists.

Pick 34, Essendon
Archer Reid | Key Forward/Ruck 203cm/93kg
Plays like: Hayden McLean
Profile: Capable dual-position forward with good hands and a hunger for the contest

Rationale: A genuine second forward than can ruck is a glaring hole on the Bombers’ list and they don’t want to use their primary forward option Wright in that role. Never minding the fact that Reid’s brother is already at Essendon, Archer is definitely somebody that should be in the mix for the Bombers’ second pick.

Pick 35, Collingwood [from Western Bulldogs via Hawthorn]
Riley Hardeman | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 188cm/80kg
Western Australia | Swan Districts
Plays like: Mason Redman
Profile: Well-rounded rebounding defender who runs all day and links up well

Rationale: A slider at 35, Hardeman could feature in the top 25 on draft night but a raft of half-back options around this mark sees him slide. The Pies are not short on half-back options right now but I think with his impressive endurance and accumulation, he can be developed as a winger which the Pies are in need of.

Pick 36, Fremantle [from Sydney Swans via Collingwood]
Zane Zakostelsky | Key Defender/Ruck 196cm/89kg
Plays like: Noah Balta
Profile: Athletic and mobile intercepting defender who can ruck

Rationale: Lost some depth with Hamling’s departure and probably need to rectify that. Zakostelsky is highly rated by many and a chance to go much earlier.

Pick 37, Essendon [from St Kilda]
Tew Jiath | General Defender 188cm/72kg
Gippsland Power
Plays like: Changkuoth Jiath
Profile: Speedy and evasive rebounding defender who reads the play well.

Rationale: A similar height and weight to his Hawk brother Tew plays similarly but I think his intercepting and reading of the flight of the ball is superior. I think Essendon’s biggest shortfall is their inability to move the ball quickly enough out of defence, and Tew likes to get it and go. A nice boost to Essendon’s defence.

Pick 38, West Coast [from Port Adelaide]
Luke Lloyd | Key Forward 193cm/87kg
Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Jake Riccardi
Profile: Playmaking centre half-forward with good hands and an eye for goal

Rationale: With no successor to Darling emerging so far, the Eagles should draft a tall or two this year in the early stages of their rebuild to try and develop into good players once they’re ready to push for finals once more. Lloyd could be really good support for Allen who plays his best footy deep. He played decently for Frankston in the VFL when he had the chance.

Pick 39, Gold Coast [matched bid]
Suns need 357 points to match. Lose picks 65 and 68. Gain pick 39 and go into 2024 with 208-point deficit.

Will Graham | Inside Midfielder/General Defender 186cm/81kg
Plays like: Mark O’Connor
Profile: Consistent athletic ball-winning mid who splits his minutes with playing half-back

Rationale: The last notable Suns academy option this year, and occasionally forgotten; I expect Graham to still be thereabouts on draft night, and I think he’s decent enough for the Suns to sacrifice a small deficit for. He’ll need to work on his tank to become a full-time midfielder, but perhaps with an already established midfield group, the Suns would actually nurture him to be a tough half-back who can just support the mids.

Pick 40, Brisbane [from Carlton via Collingwood via Hawthorn]
George Stevens | Inside Midfielder/General Defender 189cm/101kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Plays like: Tom Sparrow
Profile: Tough defensive-minded midfielder who has the body to play senior footy early

Rationale: The Lions don’t have a great deal of midfield depth and with Lyons approaching the end of his contract at 32 years of age, I think now is the time to recruit and Stevens provides a big body that could play next season. Should be a better player than Mathieson who played his fair share of games over the years.

Pick 41, St Kilda [from Brisbane Lions via Western Bulldogs]
Ashton Moir | General Forward 187cm/85kg
South Australia | Glenelg
Plays like: Paul Curtis
Profile: Skilful dual-sided forward once considered an early pick contender

Rationale: It’s a shame we didn’t see the best of Moir this year but we saw glimpses. The Saints liked Isaac Keeler’s upside enough to take him in the 40’s last year, so I reckon Moir is another in the same mould that could really appeal. If he can improve consistency, he could be a star.

Pick 42, Richmond [from Collingwood via GWS Giants via Port Adelaide]
Logan Morris | Key Forward 191cm/90kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Plays like: Brody Mihocek
Profile: Tough contested marking forward with a great set shot routine

Rationale: Should he last this long, he won’t drift much further. Morris albeit a touch undersized for a true key forward, has clean strong hands and a great kick for goal. A great fit for the Tigers.

Pick 43, Fremantle [matched bid]
Dockers need 302 points to match. Lose pick 45 and gain pick 43.

Mitch Edwards | Ruck 206cm/88kg
Western Australia | Peel Thunder
Plays like: Tom De Koning
Profile: Athletically gifted ruck with good hands and improving forward craft

Rationale: A drifter, Edwards has made it outside the 40 and will be eligible to join Fremantle via their NGA. It’s not that I don’t rate Edwards, but I don’t think many clubs in the 20’s and 30’s are in dire need of rucks. The Dockers would be stoked should this occur on the night.

Pick 44, Melbourne [James Jordon compensation]
Taylor Goad | Ruck 206cm/97kg
Plays like: Ned Reeves
Profile: Monster ruck prospect with good foot speed

Rationale: The Demons probably want another developing ruck with Gawn in the twilight of his career. Goad will take time but he is steadily improving.

Pick 45, GWS Giants [Matt Flynn compensation]
Cooper Simpson | Inside Midfielder/General Forward 181cm/79kg
Plays like: Jade Gresham
Profile: Speedy goal kicking midfielder

Rationale: An underrated midfield prospect in this draft, Simpson’s numbers have been consistently impressive so much so I expect him to be taken. The Giants need additional midfield depth in my opinion and Simpson is one who can be developed into a good player.
Great read. Well done.

2023 PHANTOM DRAFT
Ages as of draft night

Round one

Pick 1, West Coast
Harley Reid | Utility 185cm/85kg
VIC Country | Bendigo Pioneers
Plays like: Christian Petracca
Profile: Contested ball-winning mid with strength who can boot goals up forward and take big marks.

Rationale: There isn’t much more to say than we already know about Harley Reid. He will go at #1 no matter which club holds the pick, and he will start as Rising Star favourite. I expect the Eagles to retain the pick and groom Reid into the team immediately in 2024. He will likely be a star in years to come.

Pick 2, Gold Coast [academy bid]
Suns need 2014 points to match. Lose picks 24, 26, 27. Gain picks 2 and Pick 56.

Jed Walter | Key Forward 194cm/91kg
Allies | GC Academy
Plays like: Charlie Curnow
Profile: Strong key forward with natural goal sense. Also has decent ground level game.

Rationale: The Suns will match any bid for Walter. Not too far off being the #1 prospect (in my opinion), Walter will see playing opportunities at the Suns in 2024.

Pick 3, North Melbourne
Zane Duursma | General Forward 189cm/79kg
Plays like: Jordan De Goey
Profile: Aerially gifted medium forward with scoreboard impact and ball-winning potential

Rationale: The mercurial forward will almost certainly become a Roo in order to boost Clarkson’s goal kicking stocks, with potential to grow into an attacking midfielder in years to come.

Pick 4, North Melbourne [McKay compensation pick]
Colby McKercher | Inside Midfielder 181cm/73kg
Allies | Tasmania Devils
Plays like: Josh Kelly
Profile: Sharp-using ball winning midfielder who has stood well above in most of his outings.

Rationale: North Melbourne already have an abundance of up-and-coming midfielders but I don’t think you can pass up a player like McKercher when you have the opportunity to get them. A near complete midfielder, with LDU, Wardlaw, Phillips and Thomas, these boys can form a formidable midfield group in the 2020’s.

Pick 5, Hawthorn
Daniel Curtin | Key Defender 195cm/93kg
Plays like: Tom Stewart
Profile: Wonderfully versatile defender who performs on the big occasions.

Rationale: Curtin is the embodiment of the modern tall defender – strong, mobile, finely skilled and a big game player. The Hawks unsuccessfully targeted Ben McKay in the trade period, so they were obviously prepared to spend big on a tall defender. Should Curtin stand before them on the night, I think he’s the way to go. Grainger-Barras just hasn’t been able to secure his spot in the side that the Hawks spent big on in 2020.

Pick 6, Western Bulldogs [from Gold Coast]
Nick Watson | Small Forward 170cm/67kg
Plays like: Tom Papley
Profile: Blissfully skilled little forward who is equally as creative as he is clinical.

Rationale: The Western Bulldogs have been a little behind the game in recent times with regards to the importance of speed and skill inside forward fifty. It is their biggest fault in their list. Besides Weightman, the cupboard is bare. Size is no concern for Watson given his attack on the footy and acceleration away from contests. He marks well and kicks beautifully. Exactly what the Bulldogs need.

Pick 7, Melbourne [from Fremantle]
Ryley Sanders | Inside Midfielder 186cm/85kg
Allies | Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Adam Cerra
Profile: Tough well-rounded ball winning mid with elite handballing and positioning

Rationale: Though their midfield is not old by any stretch of the imagination, the Demons have a large age gap in their midfield group and it’s time to make amends. They shed Harmes, Jordon and Dunstan from their midfield depth over the off-season and added nobody. I think they’d love Sanders to add another big body to boost the rotations, and allow the flexibility of shifting Petracca forward more. Sanders has clean skills and could be a best 22 addition to Melbourne during their premiership window.

Pick 8, GWS Giants [from Richmond]
Nate Caddy | Key Forward/Midfielder 192cm/91kg
Plays like: Darcy Fogarty
Profile: Dynamic big forward with midfield potential.

Rationale: Best available at this selection and to me Caddy is a great fit. Will provide great competition to the forwards already at the club.

Pick 9, Gold Coast [matched bid]
Suns need 1175 points to match. Lose picks 30, 34 and 36. Gain picks 9 and 37.

Ethan Read | Ruck 200cm/88kg
Plays like: Tim English
Profile: Strong-marking athletic ruck with elite tank

Rationale: Like Walter, the Suns won’t pass up Read who will be the successor to Jarrod Witts. I expect the bid to come from Geelong.

Pick 10, Geelong
Connor O’Sullivan | Key Defender 198cm/82kg
Plays like: Jeremy McGovern
Profile: Proactive defender who racks it up and rebounds efficiently

Rationale: O’Sullivan is a ripping big defender and super likely to become a great player at the top level. The Cats surprised me last year when they didn’t take a defender in the draft, after holding Esava to his contract. Now that he’s gone, the reserves are bare. Not a worry though, O’Sullivan is exactly the type of player who want to sit at centre half-back in front of De Koning for 10 years.

Pick 11, Western Bulldogs [matched bid]
Bulldogs need 1063 points to match. Lose picks 44, 46, 48 and 49. Gain picks 11 and 55

Jordan Croft | Key Forward 201cm/80kg
VIC Metro | Calder Cannons
Plays like: Eric Hipwood
Profile: Agile big forward-ruck with plenty of improvement to come.

Rationale: An earlier bid than fancied by most, the Dogs may have to pay up a bit for Croft but they’ll be happy to get him. With Naughton, Ugle-Hagan and Darcy already spearheading their attack for the next decade, it’ll be interesting to see if Croft is developed down back, if the Dogs don’t switch Darcy or Naughton.

Pick 12, Essendon
Darcy Wilson | Balanced Midfielder 185cm/73kg
VIC Country | Murray Bushrangers
Plays like: Chad Warner
Profile: Clever, evasive midfielder with scoreboard impact.

Rationale: There’s one last player in what I consider to be category 2 of this draft and that is Wilson. He’s got a few more strings to his bow than some of the current Essendon midfielders – including the ability to play half-forward – and that’s why I expect him to appeal to them. No stranger to the scoreboard, he’s got the skills and slick ball movement to add to Essendon’s depth of mids..

Pick 13, Adelaide
Caleb Windsor | Outside Midfielder 184cm/74kg
Plays like: Ed Langdon
Profile: Energetic winger with rapid speed and runs both ways

Rationale: Run and carry, and urgent movement toward their strong forward line is what can take Adelaide to the next level. Windsor provides this and seems a great fit.

Pick 14, Melbourne [from Western Bulldogs, via Gold Coast]
James Leake | Utility 188cm/74kg
Allies | Tasmania
Plays like: Jeremy Howe
Profile: Versatile mid-size option who has looked terrific up forward and down back.

Rationale: Noted for his ability to play well at both ends, I think Leake is a great best available selection for Melbourne in order to boost their marking stocks at either end. Personally, I think he should be developed as an intercepting defender in his early days.

Pick 15, Sydney Swans
Koltyn Tholstrup | Inside Midfielder/General Forward 186cm/86kg
Plays like: Zac Bailey
Profile: Zippy midfield-forward with strong hands and good touch

Rationale: Tholstrup’s flair and goal kicking will be a welcome addition to Sydney’s midfield group. He is a classy user forward of centre, and just seems a type of player who will thrive under Longmire, like Gulden before him.

Pick 16, Gold Coast [matched bid]
Suns need 854 points to match. Lose picks 37, 50, 60. Gain picks 16 and 70.

Jake Rogers | Inside Midfielder 172cm/69kg
Plays like: Dylan Moore
Profile: Tough, nuggety two-way running midfielder with forward potential

Rationale: The third Suns’ academy prospect set to stay home, Rogers is a ripping talent forward of centre with his grittiness, speed and ability to cause damage up forward.

Pick 17, St Kilda
Harry DeMattia | Inside Midfielder/Utility 185cm/78kg
VIC Metro | Dandenong Country
Plays like: Taylor Adams
Profile: Explosive athlete with speed to burn. Runs both ways and is versatile.

Rationale: It’s not easy to get speed out of the middle at this stage in the draft, but the Saints may be able to secure it in DeMattia who is equipped to burst out of the middle and use the ball well, and also able to get back and defend when things are going the other way.

Pick 18, Adelaide [from Melbourne, via Gold Coast]
Charlie Edwards | Inside Midfielder 190cm/82kg
Plays like: Jarrod Berry
Profile: Tall ball-winning midfielder with gusto and acceleration

Rationale: The Crows need midfield depth more than anything in my opinion. Edwards is a unique midfielder in this draft who will likely take more time to blossom, but the Crows have time on their side. Upside is a word that drives me nuts but he has it, and a lot of it if he can really put it together.

Pick 19, Hawthorn [matched bid]
Hawks need 758 points to match. Lose picks 39 and 42. Gain picks 19 and 66.

Will McCabe | Key Defender 197cm/81kg
South Australia | Central District
Plays like: Nick Blakey
Profile: Quick, mobile big defender who can intercepts and sets up play.

Rationale: The Hawks will match any unreasonable bid on McCabe which looks set to come after 15. Following some midfield heavy drafts, Curtin and McCabe can set up the posts for a strong Hawks back line in years to come.

Pick 20, North Melbourne [from Port Adelaide]
Ollie Murphy | Key Defender 200cm/85kg
Plays like: Charlie Ballard
Profile: Clever intercepting defender whose attack on the footy is a standout

Rationale: If North don’t take Curtin early, they’ll need defenders later and if Murphy is available at this selection, I think it’s a no-brainer. Murphy is strong and reliable in contested situations down back.

Pick 21, GWS Giants
Koen Sanchez | Balanced Midfielder/Small Forward 177cm/69kg
Western Australia | East Fremantle
Plays like: Liam Baker
Profile: Crafty and efficient goal kicking midfielder with great marking hands for his size

Rationale: One of my favourite prospects, Sanchez has the skillset to make it in any non-key position on the ground in my opinion. His skills are a true weapon and his ability to link up with teammates and read the play ahead of time is a pleasure to watch. I think he’s comparable to Brent Daniels but with better midfield ability. A great fit for the Giants – best available again.

Pick 22, North Melbourne [from Carlton]
Lance Collard | Small Forward 185cm/66kg
Plays like: Will Hayward
Profile: Opportunistic and mercurial ground level forward who is capable as a marking target

Rationale: A small forward as prolific in big games as Collard has been won’t be sitting for too much longer I wouldn’t think. A player who can make something from nothing will really boost North during their rebuild, and can help turn them into a competitive side once more.

Pick 23, North Melbourne [from Brisbane Lions, via Western Bulldogs via Gold Coast]
Archie Roberts | General Defender 184cm/77kg
Plays like: Wil Powell
Profile: Confident driving defender who is reliable from kick ins and gels with teammates

Rationale: The fifth selection for North who have ticked a few boxes and lastly, I think they really need an aggressive rebounding defender who can move the ball with ease and take kick ins.

Pick 24, Collingwood
Arie Schoenmaker | Key Defender 194cm/91kg
Allies | Tasmania
Plays like: Shannon Hurn
Profile: Booming playmaking defender who marks strongly and moves the ball with ease

Rationale: Following the uncertainty of Nathan Murphy’s future, I’d be stunned if the Pies didn’t look to add to their defensive depth this draft. Schoenmaker’s ability to clear 60 metres from the last line of defence will suit McRae’s fast rebounding game style. Could improve his defensive application but that can be coached.

Pick 25, Adelaide [Doedee compensation pick]
Angus Hastie | Medium Defender 190cm/74kg
VIC Country | Geelong Falcons
Plays like: Lachie Whitfield
Profile: Quick, skilful and ambitious rebounding defender who intercepts well too

Rationale: Hastie is a player that could surprise on the night and go top 20 in my opinion. The importance of players with daring overlapping run and good skills from defence has never been greater. He can really boost Adelaide’s ball movement from defence to the benefit of their great forward line.

Pick 26, St Kilda [Gresham compensation pick]
Harvey Johnston | Balanced Midfielder 183cm/79kg
Plays like: Ben Keays
Profile: Swift attacking midfielder who can play inside or out, and hurt forward of centre.

Rationale: Another boost to St Kilda’s midfield. Johnston is a reliable second touch midfielder who the Saints will like moving the ball to their forwards.

Pick 27, Carlton [North Melbourne 2023 assistance pick]
Jack Delean | Small Forward 181cm/77kg
Plays like: Jamie Elliott
Profile: Prolific goal kicking small forward with a spring in his step

Rationale: I think Delean projects to be better than any little forward currently on the Blues’ list. They’ve got capable crumbing options, but Delean is not only a good crumbing forward option but he’s a frequent leading target and reads the flight of the ball well. Can give the Blues another consistent goal kicking option.

Round two

Pick 28, West Coast
Joel Freijah | Wing 190cm/88kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Plays like: Kyle Langford
Profile: Tall skilful outside mid with the frame and skillset to fill roles across the ground

Rationale: The Eagles are still shallow for emerging midfield depth and Freijah could be a bargain buy in the second round. He is able to get forward and hit the scoreboard often as a marking target, and he covers plenty of ground through the middle.

Pick 29, Geelong [North Melbourne 2022 assistance pick, via Fremantle via Port Adelaide]

Rationale: Though he has spent much of his junior footy playing half-back, it has been Wilson’s late season midfield form which has seen him rise up the rankings, by winning plenty of footy, linking well with teammates and getting it inside 50. A prospering midfield option, I think he’s a nice boost to Geelong’s young midfield group.

Pick 30, Carlton [from Hawthorn, via Sydney via North Melbourne]
Will Green | Ruck 204cm/89kg
Plays like: Toby Nankervis
Profile: Strong marking around the ground ruck.

Rationale: Although Pittonet and De Koning re-signed last season, I still think Carlton would like another developing ruck option for the future. I think Green has a good skillset and can be a complimentary piece in a two-ruck side.

Pick 31, Richmond
Phoenix Gothard | Small Forward 178cm/72kg
Plays like: Lincoln McCarthy
Profile: Crafty and creative little forward whose speed forward of centre is a force

Rationale: With no first round selection, the Tigers need to make the most of their selections and take the best available. At this stage it’s Gothard who projects to be better than any small forward currently getting games at Tiger land. His skill and pressure will be loved at Punt Road, and he is a reliable goal kicker too.

Pick 32, Sydney Swans [matched bid]
Swans need 467 points to match. Lose picks 43 and 48. Gain picks 32 and 55.

Caiden Cleary | Inside Midfielder 182cm/79kg
Allies | Swans Academy
Plays like: Willem Drew
Profile: Hungry ground-level midfielder with good touch and smarts

Rationale: The Swans should match any unreasonable bid for Cleary, and he’ll provide additional midfield depth for the Swans for years to come. A potential bargain buy.

Pick 33, Brisbane Lions [from Geelong]
Luamon Lual | General Defender 182cm/72kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Plays like: Isaac Quaynor
Profile: Rapid running defender with aggressive ball movement

Rationale: Would love him to go earlier as I love this kid’s potential. Brisbane have a great side as it is, but sometimes I think they could do with another speedy runner out of defence. The need for speed is great in today’s game, and I think Lual would be a super fit for the grand finalists.

Pick 34, Essendon
Archer Reid | Key Forward/Ruck 203cm/93kg
Plays like: Hayden McLean
Profile: Capable dual-position forward with good hands and a hunger for the contest

Rationale: A genuine second forward than can ruck is a glaring hole on the Bombers’ list and they don’t want to use their primary forward option Wright in that role. Never minding the fact that Reid’s brother is already at Essendon, Archer is definitely somebody that should be in the mix for the Bombers’ second pick.

Pick 35, Collingwood [from Western Bulldogs via Hawthorn]
Riley Hardeman | General Defender/Outside Midfielder 188cm/80kg
Western Australia | Swan Districts
Plays like: Mason Redman
Profile: Well-rounded rebounding defender who runs all day and links up well

Rationale: A slider at 35, Hardeman could feature in the top 25 on draft night but a raft of half-back options around this mark sees him slide. The Pies are not short on half-back options right now but I think with his impressive endurance and accumulation, he can be developed as a winger which the Pies are in need of.

Pick 36, Fremantle [from Sydney Swans via Collingwood]
Zane Zakostelsky | Key Defender/Ruck 196cm/89kg
Plays like: Noah Balta
Profile: Athletic and mobile intercepting defender who can ruck

Rationale: Lost some depth with Hamling’s departure and probably need to rectify that. Zakostelsky is highly rated by many and a chance to go much earlier.

Pick 37, Essendon [from St Kilda]
Tew Jiath | General Defender 188cm/72kg
Gippsland Power
Plays like: Changkuoth Jiath
Profile: Speedy and evasive rebounding defender who reads the play well.

Rationale: A similar height and weight to his Hawk brother Tew plays similarly but I think his intercepting and reading of the flight of the ball is superior. I think Essendon’s biggest shortfall is their inability to move the ball quickly enough out of defence, and Tew likes to get it and go. A nice boost to Essendon’s defence.

Pick 38, West Coast [from Port Adelaide]
Luke Lloyd | Key Forward 193cm/87kg
Sandringham Dragons
Plays like: Jake Riccardi
Profile: Playmaking centre half-forward with good hands and an eye for goal

Rationale: With no successor to Darling emerging so far, the Eagles should draft a tall or two this year in the early stages of their rebuild to try and develop into good players once they’re ready to push for finals once more. Lloyd could be really good support for Allen who plays his best footy deep. He played decently for Frankston in the VFL when he had the chance.

Pick 39, Gold Coast [matched bid]
Suns need 357 points to match. Lose picks 65 and 68. Gain pick 39 and go into 2024 with 208-point deficit.

Will Graham | Inside Midfielder/General Defender 186cm/81kg
Plays like: Mark O’Connor
Profile: Consistent athletic ball-winning mid who splits his minutes with playing half-back

Rationale: The last notable Suns academy option this year, and occasionally forgotten; I expect Graham to still be thereabouts on draft night, and I think he’s decent enough for the Suns to sacrifice a small deficit for. He’ll need to work on his tank to become a full-time midfielder, but perhaps with an already established midfield group, the Suns would actually nurture him to be a tough half-back who can just support the mids.

Pick 40, Brisbane [from Carlton via Collingwood via Hawthorn]
George Stevens | Inside Midfielder/General Defender 189cm/101kg
VIC Country | GWV Rebels
Plays like: Tom Sparrow
Profile: Tough defensive-minded midfielder who has the body to play senior footy early

Rationale: The Lions don’t have a great deal of midfield depth and with Lyons approaching the end of his contract at 32 years of age, I think now is the time to recruit and Stevens provides a big body that could play next season. Should be a better player than Mathieson who played his fair share of games over the years.

Pick 41, St Kilda [from Brisbane Lions via Western Bulldogs]
Ashton Moir | General Forward 187cm/85kg
South Australia | Glenelg
Plays like: Paul Curtis
Profile: Skilful dual-sided forward once considered an early pick contender

Rationale: It’s a shame we didn’t see the best of Moir this year but we saw glimpses. The Saints liked Isaac Keeler’s upside enough to take him in the 40’s last year, so I reckon Moir is another in the same mould that could really appeal. If he can improve consistency, he could be a star.

Pick 42, Richmond [from Collingwood via GWS Giants via Port Adelaide]
Logan Morris | Key Forward 191cm/90kg
VIC Metro | Western Jets
Plays like: Brody Mihocek
Profile: Tough contested marking forward with a great set shot routine

Rationale: Should he last this long, he won’t drift much further. Morris albeit a touch undersized for a true key forward, has clean strong hands and a great kick for goal. A great fit for the Tigers.

Pick 43, Fremantle [matched bid]
Dockers need 302 points to match. Lose pick 45 and gain pick 43.

Mitch Edwards | Ruck 206cm/88kg
Western Australia | Peel Thunder
Plays like: Tom De Koning
Profile: Athletically gifted ruck with good hands and improving forward craft

Rationale: A drifter, Edwards has made it outside the 40 and will be eligible to join Fremantle via their NGA. It’s not that I don’t rate Edwards, but I don’t think many clubs in the 20’s and 30’s are in dire need of rucks. The Dockers would be stoked should this occur on the night.

Pick 44, Melbourne [James Jordon compensation]
Taylor Goad | Ruck 206cm/97kg
Plays like: Ned Reeves
Profile: Monster ruck prospect with good foot speed

Rationale: The Demons probably want another developing ruck with Gawn in the twilight of his career. Goad will take time but he is steadily improving.

Pick 45, GWS Giants [Matt Flynn compensation]
Cooper Simpson | Inside Midfielder/General Forward 181cm/79kg
Plays like: Jade Gresham
Profile: Speedy goal kicking midfielder

Rationale: An underrated midfield prospect in this draft, Simpson’s numbers have been consistently impressive so much so I expect him to be taken. The Giants need additional midfield depth in my opinion and Simpson is one who can be developed into a good player.

Not a bad effort. North definitely need a project ruck with one of our late first round picks. I like the Ollie Murphy pick as a key defender and it would be great for us to pick up a KPF late in the draft or rookie. Wetherill or Kentfield look like possibilities.

Is that half decent inside knowledge? Not that they don't need him but reckon Watson is perfect for them.
I understand the argument that their mids are like 29-30 but they have plenty left. Watson makes them better next year. Reckon they'd be mad to go past him.

Not sure I'd be happy with Richmond taking a small forward when Reid is on the board still, while I'd love to nab Stevens with our second pick as they are 2 areas I believe Richmond are most in need of addressing.

For the record, Billy spent all of his junior footy playing midfield and it was only when he got to Stingrays he was asked to play Half Back for some speed in the backline. Most clubs would only be looking at his backline capabilities and thus will overlook him which I think is why he was only invited to state combine and not national. But his end of season midfield stint was elite level though, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs look at him for a first round pick as a midfield talent they can develop.

For the record, Billy spent all of his junior footy playing midfield and it was only when he got to Stingrays he was asked to play Half Back for some speed in the backline. Most clubs would only be looking at his backline capabilities and thus will overlook him which I think is why he was only invited to state combine and not national. But his end of season midfield stint was elite level though, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs look at him for a first round pick as a midfield talent they can develop.
G’day Mr Wilson.

Fair enough. Can’t say I have the best knowledge of the last two years. Played catch-up following the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really enjoyed reading your write ups on all the players - thanks

From a Pies’ perspective, I’d be really disappointed if we took another small forward, esp at our first.
I think we’ll go for mids (or players that can rotate through there)
Maybe a KPP if one they rate slides

I like the Archer Reid selection, a bit Meh about the George Stevens selection particularly when your "plays like" is Charlie Constable... we don't want slow moving mids.

Don't mind Fonti and Brown selections although I think we will take a maximum of 3 players in the draft.

Some pretty good prospects available relatively late in the draft IMO, I like all of Jack Delean, Cooper Simpson, Riley Weatherill, Wil Dawson, Joel Freijah, Logan Morris who all fall between your George Stevens and Will Brown selections for the Lions.

I like the Archer Reid selection, a bit Meh about the George Stevens selection particularly when your "plays like" is Charlie Constable... we don't want slow moving mids.

Don't mind Fonti and Brown selections although I think we will take a maximum of 3 players in the draft.

Some pretty good prospects available relatively late in the draft IMO, I like all of Jack Delean, Cooper Simpson, Riley Weatherill, Wil Dawson, Joel Freijah, Logan Morris who all fall between your George Stevens and Will Brown selections for the Lions.
Stevens is definitely polarising, and personally I’m not the biggest fan but his ability to find the footy is outstanding and he is deceptively quick for his size. With Neale entering his 30’s and Lyons at the end, I think there’s a need for a fresh big bodied option.

Really enjoyed reading your write ups on all the players - thanks

From a Pies’ perspective, I’d be really disappointed if we took another small forward, esp at our first.
I think we’ll go for mids (or players that can rotate through there)
Maybe a KPP if one they rate slides
Whilst Sanchez probably plays some early footy forward, I think he ends up being a good midfielder inside and out and can see him playing some half back too. Plenty of tricks up his sleeve.

Stevens is definitely polarising, and personally I’m not the biggest fan but his ability to find the footy is outstanding and he is deceptively quick for his size. With Neale entering his 30’s and Lyons at the end, I think there’s a need for a fresh big bodied option.
Oh I agree, I like Kane McAuliffe who didn't go in your Phantom, do you think he has more upside than Stevens or you just don't rate him?

Stevens plays like Patrick Cripps would have given me more confidence.:think:;)

Robertson and Tunstall Answerth all seem next in line all played well at VFL last season

Oh I agree, I like Kane McAuliffe who didn't go in your Phantom, do you think he has more upside than Stevens or you just don't rate him?

Stevens plays like Patrick Cripps would have given me more confidence.:think:;)
McAuliffe is a chance for certain but he doesn't have Stevens' numbers so I do rate Stevens higher. Stevens churned out 29 touches against a Collingwood VFL team with 17 listed players. McCauliffe's better games were against poorer opposition.

Great work. Appreciate the effort. Very enjoyable reading.

p.s. if Freo take a defender I'll throw Peter Bell out of the nearest window.
Was trying to tick boxes with Freo's picks. Reckon Mannagh as a Schuktz replacement and a tall like Morris were clear needs, and an attacking-minded winger like O'Driscoll made too much sense at that stage in the draft. Fourth selection was tough because with Johnson and Erasmus emerging, I decided not to go with a mid. Even Chapman could still yet be a gun mid or winger I think. Who would you prefer at that pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back