Games & Recreation Pointless Trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wall of Sound is fifty.

Owlsley "Bear" Stanley III, the same guy that cooked Hendrix's purple haze acid designed this looking for the perfect distortion free sound but it was so huge and OTT they only used to for six glorious months. Stanley emigrated here in the early 80s and died in a car accident in Queensland fifteen years ago.

Hannah Montana was originally going to be called Alexis Texas because, well I’m sure I shouldn’t have to tell you guys

Another interesting piece of trivia about the Hannah Montana character involved a singing doll of the fictional teenage pop-star which was released around Christmas 2008, the doll singing a number of different Christmas songs. Hannah Montana was very popular with girls in the late 2000s, so as one could imagine the doll was a big seller that year.

However, controversy arose when some parents who had purchased the doll for their daughters claimed that in one of the tracks, 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree', the doll appeared to sing the line 'later we'll have some pumpkin pie and we'll do some caroling' as 'later we'll have some ******* pie and we'll do some caroling'. However, this alleged problem was not apparent in all the dolls, and from what I heard one mother who claimed her daughters had one of the defective dolls compared it to another doll purchased by a friend for her own daughters, and that this doll distinctly sang the word pumpkin rather than the alleged curse-word sang by the doll she had purchased. Others claimed not to have heard anything wrong, and that they only ever heard the dolls say pumpkin.

Whether some of the dolls had a slightly defective audio at this particular point in this particular song or whether it was some urban myth that spread around at the time causing people to hear things that weren't there was never ascertained, and 16 years later the Hannah Montana Christmas singing doll would no doubt be a valuable item for collectors, regardless of which word she appears to sing in 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree'.

American singer Suzi Quattro who rose to superstardom in the 1970s has a strong and powerful singing voice, but amazingly this singer stands at a petite 5 feet tall with a slight build. The same is true of Scottish singer Lulu, who came to prominence in the UK as a teenager around 1963. Like Quattro Lulu stands at 5'0 and is slightly built, and if only hearing the audio of her early songs one could scarcely believe that small-statured girl aged in her mid-teens is singing.

Even smaller in stature than Lulu and Suzie Quattro was the late Judy Garland, who stood only 4'11 but had the same powerful voice. Jokes about munchkins aside, the Wizard of Oz from 1939 must have had a reasonably short cast, as Judy Garland (aged 16 but playing a girl aged about 10) doesn't seem to be very much shorter than her co-stars.

However the award for the smallest female singer with the most powerful voice would probably be Australian singer Bev Harrell from Adelaide. Bursting onto the scene in 1966 as a 19-year-old with 'What Am I Doing Here With You?' - her first and best-known of several hit songs - the elfin Harrell stands at just 4 feet 9 inches. A video clip of 'What Am I Doing Here With You?' features Harrell standing on a podium singing while two pairs of dancers perform alongside her. Her tiny stature is clear when the dancers, both the two guys and the two girls stand much taller than her, despite the fact that she is standing several inches above them on the podium.

Late Tasmanian politician Aubrey Luck from Devonport had an unusual lifespan. Born in November 1900, he lived in every year of the 1900s but not outside of it, dying in July 1999 at age 98, a few months short of his 99th birthday. I wonder if there are any other famous people whose lifespan ran exactly from 1900-1999?

Aubrey Luck was not the only politician from Tasmania to have an unusual date of birth and date of death. As I mentioned previously, James Milne Wilson a former Tasmanian Premier was born on 29th February 1812 and died on 29th February 1880 at age 68 (or 17).

Roberto Duran and Jack Johnson both boxed professionally across 5 decades, Johnson making his debut in 1897 and his last fight was in 1931. Duran debuted in 1968 and had his last fight in 2001.
Duran's brother Duran also made great music in the 80s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to the mid-1950s when they left for their new venue at Lathlain Park, WAFL team the Perth Demons played their home matches at the WACA Ground which is located in East Perth. Meanwhile local WAFL rivals East Perth were based at Perth Oval, which as its name suggests is in the suburb of Perth. East Perth left this venue after the 1999 season to move to Leederville Oval, which was vacated by West Perth in 1994 to move to Joondalup in Perth's northern suburbs. For a time Perth shared its Lathlain venue with WAFA/Sunday League Club South Perth before this team left and formed a joint venture with Canning and Victoria Park and based at Bentley from the early 2000s. Just where the mysterious and long defunct North Perth Football Club, which played in the WAFA and Amateurs and which folded some time in the early 1980s played its home matches is not known.

In South Australia, the South Adelaide Panthers prior to their move to a flash new venue at Noarlunga for the 1995 SANFL season always played their home matches (with the exception of one year in the early 1900s) at the Adelaide Oval, which is located on the northern side of the River Torrens in North Adelaide, and where one can find rival SANFL team the North Adelaide Roosters. The Roosters however have played their home matches at Prospect Oval since the early 1920s.

While the Woodstock music festival of 1969 became a legend, other music festivals over the years have become mired in infamy. Woodstock 99 which descended into anarchy that year and the Fyre Festival in 2017 are well known debacles, and another failed music festival now forgotten through the years is the Bull Island Music Festival of 1972 on the border of Illinois and Indiana on the Labour Day Long Weekend.

If I was to list all the problems at this festival I would be here all night, but one of the biggest problems that caused increasing ill feeling among the crowd throughout the weekend was that many headline acts such as Joe Cocker, Rod Stewart & the Faces, Black Sabbath, The Doors and Fleetwood Mac failed to take the stage. To be fair, all of these acts turned up to the Bull Island festival, but having seen the anarchy and dangerous conditions sensibly refused to perform.

At one stage a relatively unknown band from California played some extended sets to try and fill the long gaps between performances, but it failed to impress the angry crowds, who were furious that the headline acts they paid good money to see didn't perform. But who were these obscure young musicians from Los Angeles who bravely took the stage in such an atrocious place? They were called The Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back