AFLW Erin Phillips is home!

Remove this Banner Ad

She's fairly non-committal to the Crows when interviewed about her future

Cross-town rival Port Adelaide is looming on the horizon, set to enter the NAB AFLW competition in 2023, but Phillips said she has not had any contact from the club her father captained.

"I haven't had a conversation with them, no. I know they're really respectful of all the players who are playing this year," she said.

"No doubt they'll be contacting a lot of us South Australian girls to see what our plans are for next season, and if you're Port Adelaide, you'd definitely be poaching Adelaide Crows players.

"I'm honestly just focusing on this season. We're hoping to make a Grand Final and get back to where we were last season. I'm completely focused on playing with the Adelaide Crows, and after the season, we'll see how we go."

uh oh...

If that is 12 months out then she probably retires or if she doesn't, where she rehabs might determine if she stays with the crows.

If the 2022/23 starts in December, and she doesn't retire. then we probably wont see her play for Port if we sign her up, until mid January at earliest. There is no feeder comp to come back thru at that time of the year.

uh oh...

That link has now changed to - relief for the crows.

Relief for Crows after scans clear superstar of serious injury​

ADELAIDE is breathing a sigh of relief after scans on Sunday revealed that superstar Erin Phillips suffered nothing more serious than a sprain to her left knee.

Phillips was hurt during the final term of the Crows' thumping 40-point win over Greater Western Sydney.

The 36-year-old pulled in a strong contested mark while grappling with Giant Pepa Randall, and while she didn't go to ground, came away from the contest hobbling and opted to handball instead of kick.

Looks like a sprain and not a tear so there is still a chance we will see Erin Phillips in a Port guernsey. Given her history with knee injuries even if Erin does return to Alberton it is not likely to be a long career but it would be nice to see her in a Port guernsey albeit if it is only for a season.

Watched Erin on 9 news skilfully avoid answering outright where she would play next year and even the question of who she was supporting in the Port v crows junior academy game on the weekend.

Most importantly for the Crows' competitors, the growth of AFLW will see the belated introduction of a Port Adelaide side, splitting the South Australian talent pool for the first time.

With an inevitable raid coming from their cross-town rivals, Adelaide's envied culture is set to face its most strenuous test yet.
and two-time Premiership captain), two-time league best and fairest, two-time best on ground in a grand final, two-time club champion, three-time All-Australian… the list goes on.

There's nothing she has left to prove, nothing left to achieve.

Except, of course, the romance of leading the club her father won eight SANFL premierships for, the club she once said had "been my life, the life of my family."

"I have no idea what I'm doing to be honest," Phillips told ABC Sport in the rooms after the game
haven't made a decision. All the talk around my future is just other people predicting things."
Phillips never set out to play for Port Adelaide's fiercest rival.

Back in 2015 she was publicly revealed as Port Adelaide's first "signing" (pending the club's admission into the league).

In fact, in a press conference held for the announcement, she went so far as to say "if you cut me open, I've got black and white blood".
The irony of the Power twice opting not to apply for an AFL license is that it has gifted the tricolours the greatest player in the history of the women's game.

Port's own goal is Adelaide's win, no matter what Phillips chooses to do next.

She also hinted that the decision may not be as simple as Adelaide or Port.
This could be my last game," said Phillips.

Phillips added that she would need to discuss her future with wife Tracy Gahan, who she met playing basketball in the United States.

"She hasn't been back home to Dallas for two and a half years," said Phillips.

"She had made the ultimate sacrifice to allow me to live out my dream. We've got three kids, a beautiful life together, and the biggest thing [I have to think about] is how do we get back home first?

"That's been so hard for her, I can't tell you how unbelievably strong she's been."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She's coming back to port to play for a minimum 1 season,help us get up and running

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back