2nds Port Adelaide vs South Adelaide - Round 6 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point pieman but you may recall Bruce Light was accused of consistently over running the ball, and/or failing to pick it up when he had time and space back in the late 1960's, and he became a state player by the early 1970's and a premiership wingman in 1977.

Lachie Jones may not reach those heights but yesterday's last qtr suggests that if it eventually does click for him the wait could be well worth it.

No, I do not remember as the Colonel was before my time. :p

Lachie Jones seems to take a quarter to get focused and start handling the ball cleanly. Yesterday in that first quarter Lachie spilled an easy chest mark and fumbled one near the boundary and both clangers cost us goals. In the last quarter he took a couple of strong one grab marks and had no trouble picking up the football. As I posted I am not sure that he is a defender as he seems better suited in the mid field or on the ball. Lachie is capable of good football but like so many of the players on our list he needs someone to work with him and iron out the kinks.

This weeks game against the Dees monolith rucks would be the ideal time to play Lycett and Hayes in tandem, the former for the bash and crash stuff and the latter to change off the bench with him as required.

Dixon is arguably the only other `ruckman' on the Port list who is currently capable of doing the heavy lifting against blokes like them, but if he is fit enough to suit up he should be spending the majority of time in the forward 50, and not risking any further injury at bounce downs.

I would not object to Lycett and Teakle but one thing is for sure setting Teakle on his own against Gawn and Grundy is asking for trouble. With Dixon under a cloud I suspect that Ken will stick with Teakle supported by Finlayson which will do nothing to curb the Melbourne ruck ascendancy while robbing us of our most effective forward. Lycett cannot jump and I reckon you could run faster than him '54 but at least he has experience can can make a contest. Those people who say that rucks do not matter might get a lesson on Friday. We all saw what happened against Essendon when they won the first nine centre clearances, they had three goals to zip on the board in almost no time. If our rucks are that bad against Melbourne I reckon they might have more than three on the board.

It amazes me how these top sides can find room for two genuine ruckmen while we haven't really got one. :(

Last edited:

Obviously too late but I think you'd have had to ring the club during the week.
I was curious so looked at the SANFL site and it does say "... by pre-purchasing a Game Day Ticket online - Adults $18, Concession $11 and Under 18s free! You can purchase online through the home club’s website, then just print this ticket or download it to your smartphone. And if you can’t manage to buy online, tickets are still available at the gate – Adults $20, Concession $12 and Under 18s are still free". This does not seem to apply to us. I can't see anything about buying a one-off SANFL ticket on Port's website. Tickets for Port's AFL games are sold off of Tiketek but our SANFL games aren't even mentioned there.
yep. you came to same conclusion I did. I got an email from the club the Monday after the game and that basically confirmed tickets for Port Adelaide SANFL home games can't be purchased online on a one off basis - seems you need to buy a season ticket or similar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back