Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good on Port for trying something different. I'd be more than happy for us to be playing them but not at the expense of a home game. I think the $500k figure paid to the Suns would have to be atleast 5 or 6 times that to give up a home game

Hi Lance Uppercut,
The potential for food poisoning is one that all travelers face. Pathogens in the food may cause discomfort, gastroenteritis or other aliments. This isn't a reflection on the quality of the food, it is a condition of the lack of exposure to region specific agents. Whilst it is true that high heat preparation and other techniques can essentially sterilize the product, trying convincing a bunch of young men that it is not a good idea to eat the meat-on-stick from the street vendor the day before an important event.

I don't believe that anywhere within the afl.com.au article did Darren Burgess make comments contrary to this.

I am sure that post-game the team, officials and supporters will get among the local attractions and have a blast - but given the importance event and relative cost, it is prudent to explore these higher risk activities after core business is conducted.
I've had food poisoning in Melbourne and Adelaide before but in 9 trips to China I've never once got sick eating their food. I hope the lads are able to get out after the game and enjoy some of the wonderful street food on offer

Hi Tim Evans Beard,

Regardless, I can't think of a single good reason to discuss that publicly and offend one's hosts. Can you?
Thanks LU,
I think it is part of movement to ensure interested parties (like me, you and the rest of this board) know that football operations side of Port Adelaide are taking this venture seriously. By demonstrating they are doing everything they can to control the variables within their control (e.g. food, staged business class flights, etc) and acknowledging things out of their control (possible weather events) the Port Adelaide message continues to be that there is serious intent to win this game and exploring commercial partnerships will not come come at the expense of a commitment to win games.
I will admit that the club has stumbled with its message at times, but I am willing to take the messages from a 'goodwill' perspective knowing we are all heading down uncharted waters together! (and hopefully can be move succinct in the future)

Thanks LU,
I think it is part of movement to ensure interested parties (like me, you and the rest of this board) know that football operations side of Port Adelaide are taking this venture seriously. By demonstrating they are doing everything they can to control the variables within their control (e.g. food, staged business class flights, etc) and acknowledging things out of their control (possible weather events) the Port Adelaide message continues to be that there is serious intent to win this game and exploring commercial partnerships will not come come at the expense of a commitment to win games.
I will admit that the club has stumbled with its message at times, but I am willing to take the messages from a 'goodwill' perspective knowing we are all heading down uncharted waters together! (and hopefully can be move succinct in the future)
Yeah I get that broadly speaking but I refuse to believe anyone would think that Port are not approaching it professionally if they didn't publicly and specifically air an issue that has offended many of the stakeholders the game is designed to woo.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that if an AFL club - any AFL club - is playing a game overseas, my default opinion is that they are doing everything they can do apply world's best practice to players safety.

To me it seems like just another unnecessary own goal that is counter-productive and just shouldn't have become an issue

Good on Port for trying something different. I'd be more than happy for us to be playing them but not at the expense of a home game. I think the $500k figure paid to the Suns would have to be atleast 5 or 6 times that to give up a home game
I think with some creative scheduling it might be able to be scheduled as an away game for both of us? Therefore no-one loses a home game. I think it would be great if Port Adelaide got play once a year against different clubs and the supporters from both clubs turned it into a real carnival event.
(I think there are stadium agreements, but surely they would covered with a portion of $500,000 - if that is the yearly payoff?)

Whilst it is true that high heat preparation and other techniques can essentially sterilize the product, trying convincing a bunch of young men that it is not a good idea to eat the meat-on-stick from the street vendor the day before an important event.
This reminds me of the month I once spent there. I used to have no qualms scoffing down street food and one day in a more rural area I had this meat on a stick thing that tasted a bit weird. Was thinking about it a bit later on and then thought uh oh. Anyway I decided not to think about it any more. Lol, good times.

This reminds me of the month I once spent there. I used to have no qualms scoffing down street food and one day in a more rural area I had this meat on a stick thing that tasted a bit weird. Was thinking about it a bit later on and then thought uh oh. Anyway I decided not to think about it any more. Lol, good times.
Meat on a stick is the best - I recall many street food adventures were I struggled to identify what type of 'meat' it was.
Bloody delicious though.

Yeah I get that broadly speaking but I refuse to believe anyone would think that Port are not approaching it professionally if they didn't publicly and specifically air an issue that has offended many of the stakeholders the game is designed to woo.

In fact, I'd go so far to say that if an AFL club - any AFL club - is playing a game overseas, my default opinion is that they are doing everything they can do apply world's best practice to players safety.

To me it seems like just another unnecessary own goal that is counter-productive and just shouldn't have become an issue

Pfffft. Let the lads enjoy it. Go get the street food. It is fresher and more well cooked than the processed crap here.

For all the junket talk who wouldn't love 5 nights overseas. Enjoy it FFS. Just come to play. (Just lay off the cheap booze and night clubs/functions the 2 nights before the game).

If the gold coast do not recover well from that game and if there are issues with the players then that 500k will become 2 million very quickly

I think with some creative scheduling it might be able to be scheduled as an away game for both of us? Therefore no-one loses a home game. I think it would be great if Port Adelaide got play once a year against different clubs and the supporters from both clubs turned it into a real carnival event.
(I think there are stadium agreements, but surely they would covered with a portion of $500,000 - if that is the yearly payoff?)

The only way you can make a china game an away game for both teams is to have one game a dual home game for two other teams

This wouldnt be possible though, because even if you did it at the g with two low drawing teams, you cant share corporate suites, coterie areas, presidents lunchs, etc

So one of the home teams.would have to forfeit their corporate/coterie rights to the game, which means a second club port need to pay off

I listened to Simon Lethlean before on 3AW and to be honest it really doesn't sound like they are taking this game with full focus. Case in point on broadcast into China "we are still working through that detail"........heck me its next weekend and you have had what 12-18 months planning this.

Still struggling to fathom how the players aren't flying business class, did they forget the little detail on actually getting over there and book the flights last week?? Though that seems to be GC rather than Port.

Not sure if this will be a repeat event.

So many Port supporters quoting the $6m figure, none can break it down to validate it.
Yet at the same time they accuse other supporters of not understanding the China arrangement.
I'd go as far as saying most Port supporters don't understand it either but just parrot rhetoric.
Prove me wrong, someone, anyone.....Bueller, Bueller......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No worries mate. I will never forget Round 5 2013 and your kind hospitality. It was the night it all started, the night I gave Kochie a tie with three feathers on it at half time and we came from 41 points down in the 3rd to win by 5. What an omen. As you know, I flew back to HK inspired, asking myself how can I help my Club to survive. Now we have S. Kidman & Co. holding their board meeting in Shanghai this Friday so that Gina can come to the match and sit among new friends at Jiangwan Stadium. Life can get interesting when the negativities are treated like tall poppies, cut down and trampled on.
If anyone needed a concrete reason why this China thing is happening then your Gina example is it.

Yes I would like to win the game, but my club's financial health, longevity and ability to grow is more important here.

Keep the ideas flowing LR.

Seriously the club have talked about underwriting, be careful of the Chinese they offer the world but when it comes to delivering and paying up, it isn't a done deal with them until the money is in the bank

But that's just being pessimistic but mark my words on that one

It's definetly a whats in it for me, with the Chinese and logic says there isn't much in it for them
A tad racist don't you think?

Why do we think the game needs to be "international"? Just concentrate on Australia, get the new generation of kids into the game and promote the game aggressively within migrant communities and all will be sweet.

We don't want the game to become global with players earning as much in a week as they now earn in a year, they'll all be strutting around like self entitled, pretentious snobs staging for free kicks ah la European soccer players and Buddy yesterday.

Essentially, it's either expand the game, or expect to die as other forms of entertainment muscle into your space at home.

Essentially, it's either expand the game, or expect to die as other forms of entertainment muscle into your space at home.
I'm quite happy for Australian Rules to be a niche market here in little ole Australia, IMO there is no way in hell Australian Rules will make any significant inroads into the psyche of the global sporting public. Association Football has the global market and there is now way I can see that changing in the foreseeable future. I'll be long gone if it ever happens that is for sure.

I'm quite happy for Australian Rules to be a niche market here in little ole Australia, IMO there is no way in hell Australian Rules will make any significant inroads into the psyche of the global sporting public. Association Football has the global market and there is now way I can see that changing in the foreseeable future. I'll be long gone if it ever happens that is for sure.

It's not a niche market in Australia it struggles in QLD and NSW which truth be known is over half of Australia's population. The clubs require financial backing to stay afloat and competitive up there

It's Very much a southern states sport but it is changing but will take time and money

I don't mind the overseas experiments but are we ready do the AFL have the funds to invest into the northern states, women's Football and take the game off shore, pretty sure they don't have a whole lot of spare cash ATM

We could go half baked like we are doing with NZ and now China, will that help or hinder it if you can't do it properly

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not a niche market in Australia it struggles in QLD and NSW which truth be known is over half of Australia's population. The clubs require financial backing to stay afloat and competitive up there

It's Very much a southern states sport but it is changing but will take time and money

I don't mind the overseas experiments but are we ready do the AFL have the funds to invest into the northern states, women's Football and take the game off shore, pretty sure they don't have a whole lot of spare cash ATM

We could go half baked like we are doing with NZ and now China, will that help or hinder it if you can't do it properly

I meant a niche market on a global level. I would love AFL to dominate the northern states like it does in the south, the attempt to penetrate global markets is a distraction and as you alluded to I think the AFL should concentrate on dominating Australia in all states before contemplating a sporting coup on a global level. Why the AFL and certain football administrators have a fascination with going "international" is beyond me.

That's all pretty unfortunate

I meant a niche market on a global level. I would love AFL to dominate the northern states like it does in the south, the attempt to penetrate global markets is a distraction and as you alluded to I think the AFL should concentrate on dominating Australia in all states before contemplating a sporting coup on a global level. Why the AFL and certain football administrators have a fascination with going "international" is beyond me.

They don't have the cash to expand globally ATM one thing at a time you would think but now the interest shown in the women's league it may be worthwhile investing in that and the northern states until they can get some cash reserves back before jumping elsewhere

Good to know that your faith in "governance" hasn't been lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back