Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
the game against essendon last year that we beamed into china got the most viewers of any AFL game in a decade, from memory, so people = money, to make it simple for the thread! we saw there was more to gain for the club to expose the game to the chinese rather than anywhere else in australia (or new zealand), this year we're actually taking it to them which they very much appreciate, who knows where this new partnership could take our club and country?

If it rated so well, why's this match not being shown in China on tv?

If the AFL sold 10,000 AFL live passes in China, they'd be pretty happy.

If they sold 100 to non-expats in China I'd be surprised.

Listen to Keith Thomas, Port CEO, who is in China now. You might learn something

People don't want to learn stuff, they want to base opinions on possible trolling opportunities.

I listened to Simon Lethlean before on 3AW and to be honest it really doesn't sound like they are taking this game with full focus. Case in point on broadcast into China "we are still working through that detail"........**** me its next weekend and you have had what 12-18 months planning this.
Who is Simon Lethlean and what does he have to do with Ports China strategy? As long as we are making money we'll keep going back.
are you referring to when A-League clubs go and play games in China and the like in order to win the Asian Cup Champsionships? You know, a trophy that would be as coveted as the domestic prize, if not possibly even more coveted?
China won 26 gold medals at the last Olympics. I think our athletes will survive 5 days in that environment.
To me it seems like just another unnecessary own goal that is counter-productive and just shouldn't have become an issue
Again, you posting that it is an issue doesn't actually make it an issue.

Who is Simon Lethlean and what does he have to do with Ports China strategy? As long as we are making money we'll keep going back.

What an arrogant post.

To bring you up to speed with the state of the game, Simon Lethlean is the AFL Football Operations Manager and before that- the General Manager of Broadcasting, Scheduling & Major Projects at AFL. It was he who enabled this China game to take place. Yes, Port Adelaide have done the "hard work", I am not denying that, but it was he who through the AFL's scheduling and willingness to bring forward the bye by more than a month (giving Port Adelaide and the Suns an acceptable amount of recovery time)- allowed this game to go ahead.

So sure, he isn't on Port Adelaide's pay-roll but if he doesn't see the match as being beneficial for the AFL- he can cut the cord at any time and Port can instead play an internal trial in Shanghai.

So it will be a success because Gina Rinehart is watching now?
My venerable Jewish business tutor, who was a director of Sassoons in Shanghai in the 1930s, was interned by the Japanese in Weihsien for three years and took over what was left of the company in Hong Kong in 1949 - having twice lost everything and three times built a fortune - told me: "If it's your ambition to make money and be successful, then rub shoulders with those who are already rich and are successful ... and invite them to watch a football match with you; if they accept your invitation, you're on your way."

Who is Simon Lethlean.....only the AFL Football Operations Manager and the guy who along with Gill gave the go-ahead for this ridiculous
Chinese adventure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will lead to interest and exposure the Chinese academy and Port will sign the "Jeremy Lin of the AFL". When the parents see the odds of making it as an AFL player compared to other sports they will stop coaching their 3 year olds tennis 8 times a week and force them into AFL.

Jeremy Lin is American.

If Port are looking for the Jeremy Lin of the AFL they should be targeting the nearly 1m Chinese Australians.

All i see is the rest of the competition of the opinion this China game is a waste of time and energy.

The only defence i see of the experiment is coming from Port Power and its supporters.
Congratulations. You have just defined step 1 in the PAFC China Strategy est. 2013.

All i see is the rest of the competition of the opinion this China game is a waste of time and energy.

The only defence i see of the experiment is coming from Port Power and its supporters.
Hi Phenom and others,
I see a lot of suggestions on how the process could have been improved and ways to better take advantage of the situation rather than a flat out debasing of the strategy. I have found (admittedly anecdotally) most of the positions from other supporters are seeking clarity on the benefit to GC; why PA has such a dominant position in the relationship; and what the long term benefits are. This is compounded by the absence of readily digestible data.

The PA support defences have centered on referring to readily available public releases and sound bites or openly dismissing the position of others (I assume sometimes out of frustration in response to the negativity).

I don't think any of us will know some of the outcomes of the China partnership until much later in the year. And even then, determining whether it is a successful venture is dependent on the position of each individual. I think part of the confusion relates to the fact that many posters and commentators have taken a position on what a successful outcome for this partnership is, without considering how the key stakeholders and partnership participants have defined success.

I don't think we will know 'what success looks like' for the relationship partners for a very long time as this has 'commercial venture' components that may be subject to commercial confidence at this early stage.

In the meantime we can accept that the game is planned to go ahead this weekend, the 'China Strategy' partnership is getting a reasonable amount of media traction, and Cathy Pacific is a superior carrier when considering your Asian region travel needs!

TEB

Not with the appalling way that your President and other staff members (KT aside) have acted throughout this fiasco. Why would any club do Port Adelaide a favour and give up a home-game, only for Port Adelaide to act like self-entitled pricks who seemingly "invented" China, yet have done nothing but criticise the Suns and their management throughout the process. Without Gold Coast, Port Adelaide would not have a game in China.

And they can claim the game is a sell-out, but only because they configured the stadium to less than half of its capacity. Jiangwan Stadium has 25,000 seats, but Port Adelaide have only released 11,000 tickets. That would be like the Lions shutting off the entire top tier of the GABBA so they can only sell 17,500 tickets and then claiming they have "sold-out" every single week.

Port Adelaide have done a number of very positive things to grow the AFL in China, but their conduct throughout the preparation for this game leaves a lot to be desired.

It would be like a team placing tarps over the seats to pretend more showed up at a game than there actually was...

Good luck to Port but unfortunately it will be hard to assess and sift spin from facts as to how well this venture goes if the funding, grants and money "made" from it isn't transparently disclosed. The whole thing could die in the arse and any figure could be rolled out as gospel and touted as a benefit.
Personally I think it's very important that any AFL and government money is fully disclosed by Port.
It would also be nice to gauge if Port are bound to spend any of that money in China only.
Guess we'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back