Port and Richmond, why isn't there a rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe because when Adelaide was introduced into the AFL we were the only side that voted "Yes" for Port to be the side added to the AFL first.

Richmond supported PA's bid to join the AFL, and in return they gave us Dimma :trophy::trophy::trophy: It's almost like a love story.

Richmond have been sh*t for decades whereas Port have always been up and about since their inception into the league. It's difficult to build any rivalry if you are as inconsistent as what Richmond are.

Foundation club with only 10 flags .
44 year premiership drought broken only in 2007.
One average season away from going broke . .
And Richmond is inconsistent??
What a genius .

Another chapter could be written this week, or if Hinkley becomes Richmond's next coach, or if Hardwick becomes Port's next coach, or all of the above or one or two of the above.

I reckon both Port and Richmond understand they are 90% club and 10% entertainers.
That 10% is important.
I mean free flowing, professional and hard at it.
Without it the clubs' support base runs morbid.
We've been without it for a few years, but it seems in the last few weeks we have rediscovered it. Who knows if it lasts.
When supporters are up and about it's the perfect incubator for rivalry.

Another chapter could be written this week, or if Hinkley becomes Richmond's next coach, or if Hardwick becomes Port's next coach, or all of the above or one or two of the above.

Wouldn't have thought so.

Hinkley will sign an extension at Port and Richmond are most likely to go for a young/non experienced assistant as their new coach.

Port were magnificent last Friday night, so impressive. A lot tougher than I previously thought, and if it's wet again I reckon they might give us a bit of a lesson. Be interesting to see that up against the typical "caretaker sugar hit" most teams seem to get.

And if the Tiges truly on the way out for the next year or three, I'd have no problem watching that Port Power side from last week go all the way this year.

Sorry if that doesn't sound like a furious rivalry should.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've beaten them a few times at Adelaide Oval in important games we beat them twice last year but I feel we are going worse this year and they going a lot better this year should be interesting.

You would feel the boys are up for this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back