Review Port beats Pies - 2021 R19

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood board going on about how perennially blessed Dixon is with the umpires. He actually should get a lot more free kicks than he does.
'Perenially', hell no. Not even close.

Last night though? Probably. Not sure what got into the umps, but it was nice to see us on the good end of a reaming for a change.

I'm not too sure what game some people were watching, the wobblers left so much open real estate on the wings and through the midfield in the 2nd term, and the first half of the 3rd, that an STA bus driver would have had the time and space to park his bus and get out to receive a handball from any number of Power players running past.

Regardless of their close losses this season that was the weakest wobblewood team to run on the park for years, they lost their major playmaker before qtr time yet still got the margin to single digits during the 2nd half.
That should have been a 50 plus Port win, but yet again our players switched off when they should have gone in for the kill!

STA. Lol. What was the bus that went down Port Road? The 30, 31, 30D from memory.

I did think the umps looked after Charlie a bit last night but it may be that I'm just indoctrinated to them giving him no love for years.

Its about time. If he got the free kicks in front of goal that he deserved he’d be leading the Coleman right now.

Watching the replay of that contentious ‘push’ by Dixon on Roughead and two things stand out. Dixon’s hands make contact under Roughheads arm, so the push is in the side. Secondly, it looks to me like Roughead exaggerated the contact.

If this is what sets Collingwood fans of about umpiring, god help them if they ever experience the standard that we regularly cop.
Umpiring was always going to be the excuse after former Prot player David Rodan made the correct decision to review a goal line decision early in the game.

When you consider we have McKenzie, Burton and to a lesser extent Houston all in the backline with beautiful kicks, Jonas should never be anywhere near a kickout. I did like the Cannon going up the middle a few times, I imagine when guys like Duursma, Rozee and Butters are back to match fitness and can swarm after those bombs into the centre we'll see a few more of them pay off.
The only reason I can see them have Jonas take the kick outs is because when we inevitably turn it over it leaves him as our last line of defence rather than up the field. Feels like a bit of a negative mindset to me.

This commentators whining over Dixon giving Roughead a little push after he was already in the air and missing the ball anyway were ridiculous, especially when you consider Hawkins that gives defenders the hard, two handed shove in the middle of the back at every contest he's involved in.
The first one where he sprayed the kick from 20m out should probably be called a push. 2 hands in the back, light force but enough that if they paid it no one would complain. The second one clearly in the side, and until they make push in the side a rule, it’s not a free kick to be stronger than your opponent. They would have to pay 20 extra free kicks a game if they paid that one.

The first one where he sprayed the kick from 20m out should probably be called a push. 2 hands in the back, light force but enough that if they paid it no one would complain. The second one clearly in the side, and until they make push in the side a rule, it’s not a free kick to be stronger than your opponent. They would have to pay 20 extra free kicks a game if they paid that one.

Agreed. Players ragdoll eachother all the time in the contest too, especially in the ruck. Seems a fine line between holding the man and simply being too strong for your opponent.

Watching the replay of that contentious ‘push’ by Dixon on Roughead and two things stand out. Dixon’s hands make contact under Roughheads arm, so the push is in the side. Secondly, it looks to me like Roughead exaggerated the contact.

If this is what sets Collingwood fans of about umpiring, god help them if they ever experience the standard that we regularly cop.
Imagine Collingwood copping a 38-15 like the one we endured against North Melbourne, or the 2015 reaming at the MCG against Carlton. The bigfooty server would be down for days.

Gotta say - Drew was fantastic last night.

Every bit the player we needed in the midfield. Kept it ticking when Wines was quiet. Add in Amon’s very impressive form and we finally have a well rounded midfield.

Also, he might be older now but Robbie will make this team 3-4 goals better. Bursts in midfield and forward just makes it so much more dynamic.

If GWS don’t have Mumford then I see no problem for Port.

Oh and people can go jump re: Dixon. He’s been one of the most unrewarded forwards in the competition over the last 5 seasons. Both a product of the officiating and our coach. Let him out body a player without having kittens.

My favourite moment was when our mole-in-the-goals D-Rod called Jamie Elliott's set shot touched and dared the ARC to prove him wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uggh.
Dreadful to watch.
But we got the points, which is what counts.

So disappointing to see so many fumbles, so many miskicks when under absolutely no pressure, lack of two way running and manning up, constantly running into team mates and spoiling them, and so the numerous missed/feeble tackles.

We should have started a slow, progressive build up in form a month back, so as to hit the finals running. Too late to flick a switch now IMHO, but then, who really knows?
All we can do is keep falling across the finish line in front on the scorebard, and see what happens in September.

Keep winning guys.

Funny old side this year the Pies. Biggest loss 30 points, biggest win 21 points. Lot of kids out there last night though, and effectively minus Pendles.

Speaking of odd we certainly got the better of several important umpiring calls, Bonner was great when attacking things, and this afternoon the Suns seem to be doing us a bit of a favour.

There was very little in this and is 50-50 to get paid. Charlie propped him, was barely a push.

It's funny how we are so traumatised by bad umpiring, when we break even we think we've made off like bandits.

Blew an opportunity to increase the percentage. I’ve got a feeling percentage is going to be an important factor deciding the ladder placement.

Blew an opportunity to increase the percentage. I’ve got a feeling percentage is going to be an important factor deciding the ladder placement.

I don’t think so. The gap is too big we’d need a few 100 point monsterings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back