Review Port beats Pies - 2021 R19

Remove this Banner Ad

We did absolutely nothing tonight which should make any of us confident of going deep into September.

We needed to make a point and build percentage. We did neither once again.

For those that say a win is a win, unless you think we will win every game for the rest of the season, tonight was another failed opportunity and another reason we will likely miss top 4 on percentage.

We are behind in percentage and needed to take our chance. You can guarantee teams around us would have won by 10+ goals tonight against this Collingwood team.

We’re just not up to it.

Good to get a game into Duursma and Butters again but it’s our same issues. Forward transition and our defence. Fail
Actually we did a few things.

Our tall forwars kicked goals.

Our young guns returned without injury.

We played on and attacked through the corridor.

We hit forwards on the lead.

There were signs there of a game plan that could win finals. Sure it was rusty but it was there in patches. More of that please.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Tipped port to win by 22 and we win by 28. Pretty much went according to plan. Not sure what more to expect from then giving what we were up against in the last couple weeks and the fact Collingwood haven’t been that bad this year, have they been flogged at all this year? A 28 point win against them I thought was slightly above par if anything. Much better than the 1 point win against them earlier in the year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

tenor.gif

This has become my default Port-watching face to the point I'm worried it's getting permanently etched onto my skin.

Double feint from Amon noteworthy.
Boy can play.
I might be wrong, but my impression is that Amon wasn't selling the second one. He went for the kick, but picked the ball midair when he realized he wouldn't be able to do it.

Should be happy with that, and I am. Solid performance all around the grounds. Especially for an out of routine week for our boys, on training session if I am correct. Not a great lead up, where as the Pies....

Dix--- huge!! needs a rest, always limping over the line....
Ladhams playing for his future... good performance...
Marshall, redeeming himself after some poor games...
Rozee, really starting to getting into gear...
Durs and Butters.... OK, good to see them get through the game unscathed.
Drew, how can you not consider this bloke to be in the best 18....
Burton, what an asset....
Wines, SSP, Berg, Amon, Alir, Houston, all solid...
Boak, not one of his best games...... but happy for the team to carry him through this one.
Bonner..... ok, but I would prefer to see Lachie Jones instead once he his fit.
Lycett, did what he had to do against Grundy....
Johnas, Mackenz below par tonight...
DBJ, one of his better games but only just...
54b.gif

Onward to next week.....

We are behind in percentage and needed to take our chance. You can guarantee teams around us would have won by 10+ goals tonight against this Collingwood team.

Collingwood are hardly an uncompetitive rabble.

They beat Melbourne.

The Bulldogs beat them by 16.

Geelong beat them by 10.

Brisbane beat them by 1.

They also beat Richmond.

It was a solid performance and anyone expecting a 10 goal win was expecting too much.

Collingwood are hardly an uncompetitive rabble.

They beat Melbourne.

The Bulldogs beat them by 16.

Geelong beat them by 10.

Brisbane beat them by 1.

They also beat Richmond.

It was a solid performance and anyone expecting a 10 goal win was expecting too much.
True, but tonight was probably their weakest side all year, especially after Pendlebury was subbed out at quarter time.

We're still a midfielder short.

What are the chances or Rockliff being available before finals? And where is SPP at?

Too much being left to Boak, Wines and Drew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the chances or Rockliff being available before finals? And where is SPP at?

I suspect when they've got their match fitness back we'll see more of Butters and Rozee in the middle.

Tipped port to win by 22 and we win by 28. Pretty much went according to plan. Not sure what more to expect from then giving what we were up against in the last couple weeks and the fact Collingwood haven’t been that bad this year, have they been flogged at all this year? A 28 point win against them I thought was slightly above par if anything. Much better than the 1 point win against them earlier in the year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ya, I had Port by 8 to 16 points, so they outperformed that soundly.

Seriously?! Boak’s mom was forbidden to join the SEN crew for her son’s 300th game!?

I can’t believe it…

It's an issue. People a lot of people are doing it really tough out there and getting a little creative with the rules is just going to come back and bite. Club can do something for Boaky later. We need to be classy about this.

SPP was pretty important.. smashed in hard and a few footsteps were heard…

i think we are going ok at the minute. By that I mean we aren’t playing that well, but still controlling games and clearly the better side despite not quite clicking.. if it does click as we get players back it could be anything…

If SPP could keep his feet and stop slipping over it would be great

There's a pretty good footballer that can pinch hint through the mid who's sitting on the outer atm.

His name is Robbie Gray.

I'm not too sure what game some people were watching, the wobblers left so much open real estate on the wings and through the midfield in the 2nd term, and the first half of the 3rd, that an STA bus driver would have had the time and space to park his bus and get out to receive a handball from any number of Power players running past.

Regardless of their close losses this season that was the weakest wobblewood team to run on the park for years, they lost their major playmaker before qtr time yet still got the margin to single digits during the 2nd half.
That should have been a 50 plus Port win, but yet again our players switched off when they should have gone in for the kill!

Would be interested in a summary of our kickouts.

Cannon tried a few variables, some worked. He should take every kickout.

Jonas should take zero kickouts. Every one of his came straight back at him. It’s because he is the main culprit of kick it out to the right of the centre square every time, and has no distance or real power in his kicking. Opposition lick their lips when he takes the kickout.

Give the ball to someone else, Tom, and get out of the square.

When you consider we have McKenzie, Burton and to a lesser extent Houston all in the backline with beautiful kicks, Jonas should never be anywhere near a kickout. I did like the Cannon going up the middle a few times, I imagine when guys like Duursma, Rozee and Butters are back to match fitness and can swarm after those bombs into the centre we'll see a few more of them pay off.

I take a fair bit from that game, mainly the intent to play on quickly and transition the ball from d50 was a huge change from previous weeks.

We were shaky with some execution, especially the last possession going inside 50, but we’ve got 4 weeks to get it sorted and then just maybe we could do something come finals.

The confidence of have the holy trinity back is evident. X and Butters getting through unscathed was alone a highlight and Rozee looked his speedy best albeit with some uncharacteristic execution errors.

I'm not too sure what game some people were watching, the wobblers left so much open real estate on the wings and through the midfield in the 2nd term, and the first half of the 3rd, that an STA bus driver would have had the time and space to park his bus and get out to receive a handball from any number of Power players running past.

Regardless of their close losses this season that was the weakest wobblewood team to run on the park for years, they lost their major playmaker before qtr time yet still got the margin to single digits during the 2nd half.
That should have been a 50 plus Port win, but yet again our players switched off when they should have gone in for the kill!

That space is where Motlop lives!
We missed his role last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back