Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its finally happened to me. For years I've heard others say it.

I've loved footy my entire life and would religiously (if home) would watch non Port games on Thurs/Fri/Sat night.

But of all these "blockbusters" that have been on so far, I have barely watched. They just don't seem to be holding my interest. They might be on in the back ground, but they just don't hold my attention.

The only game I've properly watched so far is ours.

Will be interesting to see if this pattern continues through to the winter months. Kenny, Koch, Richardson, the shitful commentary, the absolute VicBias may have finally gotten to me. Time will Tell.

Geelong will be fine. They're without Stewart, Duncan and a bunch of other decent players and still only narrowly went down to Collingwood and Carlton, who will both finish top 6 IMO.

Their next 3 are SUNS, Hawks and Eagles so they'll go 3-2. Then they've got 9 of their last 18 at GMHBA. They'll still get to 15 wins minimum.
Thank goodness, they really need to catch a break.

I think that's the difference between a player running through an opponent as if they're not really there, vs a player leaping headlong, off the ground to take out an opponent. Franklin's can at least be interpreted as a footballing action (a poorly executed shepherd). There is no doubt what McAdam intended at all, and it wasn't to shepherd or block.

Buddy has history for this sort of 'poorly executed shepherd'. He knew what he was doing.

‘It’s not fine anymore’: Buddy urged to change ways after two potentially dangerous clashes in four weeks

And I fully agree with McAdam's 3 weeks suspension.

I've loved footy my entire life and would religiously (if home) would watch non Port games on Thurs/Fri/Sat night.

But of all these "blockbusters" that have been on so far, I have barely watched. They just don't seem to be holding my interest. They might be on in the back ground, but they just don't hold my attention.

Will be interesting to see if this pattern continues through to the winter months. Kenny, Koch, Richardson, the shitful commentary, the absolute VicBias may have finally gotten to me. Time will Tell.
I was broken some time back I believe the change in game style over the years has caused a lot of people to turn off.
This 30 possessions for 25 yards gained is total BS.
Neutral games was worth watching just for the match ups now it’s the best thing for putting you to sleep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were trying to get it down to two not get him off, however unlikely I don't mind clubs sticking up for a player.

We accept & roll over just about always.
More than half the time the appeal is an absolutely s**t one, that's the problem.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The AFL isn't dying though. The influx of the younger generation + nuffies taking it from strength to strength will mean that all of us who are disillusioned with it are going to be Principal Skinners, and aside from local competitions there will be no outlet to enjoy the best sport in the world.

Australian football isn't my first code of choice. Fully invested in Port, I'll watch them and other games that have an impact on Ports ladder position. But the sport itself can't really hold my attention on its own. At the moment I'm sort of meandering in and out of the game, but my television is almost permanently fixed to channel 502 rather than 504.

I watched the NRL last night - was an absolutely cracking game, very few (but still some) umpire blunders but the whole game was intense.

I do follow the NRL but slowly it is taking over from afl as a preferred sport.

For all those that complain about the afl - most still follow it regardless of the shitheap it is.

I watched the NRL last night - was an absolutely cracking game, very few (but still some) umpire blunders but the whole game was intense.

I do follow the NRL but slowly it is taking over from afl as a preferred sport.

For all those that complain about the afl - most still follow it regardless of the shitheap it is.

I like the commentary in the NRL. They will call out s**t referee decisions no matter which side it affects.

The AFL isn't dying though. The influx of the younger generation + nuffies taking it from strength to strength will mean that all of us who are disillusioned with it are going to be Principal Skinners, and aside from local competitions there will be no outlet to enjoy the best sport in the world.

The youff are definitely becoming less interested.

Amateur teams (and schools) are struggling for players, kids don't 'identify' as a club anymore, other sports are available and going to the game isn't as much fun as it used to seem.

Same for me. Don't give a * anymore for the most part. I absolutely don't want to watch other teams play etc. because the competition is a joke.

Same for me. Don't give a * anymore for the most part. I absolutely don't want to watch other teams play etc. because the competition is a joke.
I used to watch all the games, I now only watch Port and occasional Crows.

The quality of the broadcast puts me off! I don't even watch Port away games on telly half the time!

I watch the home games at the ground, if I can't get to the game for any reason I'll rarely watch the broadcast.

The youff are definitely becoming less interested.

Amateur teams (and schools) are struggling for players, kids don't 'identify' as a club anymore, other sports are available and going to the game isn't as much fun as it used to seem.

Players won't necessarily translate to support. Most clubs continue to break or push membership records. Ratings continue to grow. TV deals grow. There's probably a record number of people that are betting on footy. Social media followers of players and personalities and clubs only go one way.

Also I have experienced guys who weren't all that interested in sport as a kid becoming interested as a teen and adult. Although that could be because I lived before social media and back then in a small town if you wanted to be a someone you had to play a sport.

You go have a chat to a old teen or young guy and talk about how the game and league sucks compared to past times and see how engaged they are in your point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back