Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the hell do the reigning premier's get such a soft draw.

Suns, Hawks, Eagles, Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide

Basically all the bottom sides from last year except Sydney, and they draw Sydney at home.

They'll be 6-2 in a heartbeat.

Vic govt and AFL sponsored club, to prop up shithole town

How the hell do the reigning premier's get such a soft draw.

Suns, Hawks, Eagles, Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide

Basically all the bottom sides from last year except Sydney, and they draw Sydney at home.

They'll be 6-2 in a heartbeat.
Sydney have a great record at Kardinia Park, so they might lose one.

I started out laughing then ended up feeling a bit sad for her as it looks like it's having a detrimental effect on her mental health.

The AFL have gone as over the top as the security on this one.
I agree. I imagine the ban was predominantly for violence towards the police when she was arrested, but how many of us here would have moments at games that we would be embarrassed about and want to take back if someone filmed us and it got on tv. I know I would.

Doing some little AFL sponsored program is not gonna fix this dude's issues. Sounds like he needs a shrink, but more importantly the will to actually change and improve himself

IF ...​

the Crows had every right to use the convoluted AFL judiciary system to try to get Shane McAdam off his ridiculous shoulder charge on Jacob Wehr ...

THEN ...​

they also wasted their and everyone else's time. Lucky he didn't get four weeks

Lol. Damien Barrett

IF ...​

the Crows had every right to use the convoluted AFL judiciary system to try to get Shane McAdam off his ridiculous shoulder charge on Jacob Wehr ...

THEN ...​

they also wasted their and everyone else's time. Lucky he didn't get four weeks

Lol. Damien Barrett

IF ...​

pissant interstate clubs expect justice from the convoluted AFL judiciary system set up to rig the game to favour Victorian clubs ...

THEN ...​

they are kidding themselves, this is the VFL baby!

Early days for Ratugolea as a key defender atm but from what I have seen so far he is a very one dimensional player who hasn't yet worked out that going for a spoil to kill the contest can often be the best option.
His decision making when the ball is on the turf isn't that great either, and whilst I expect he will improve when Stewart comes back into the team I suspect that what we offered for him in the trade period was about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taryn Thomas will be in jail within 5 years. North need to get him off their books ASAP before he embarrasses them further.
The thing is that for him to go to jail it likely means he goes beyond the texting and threats to actually delivering on something, and for this to happen it means there is a more extreme victim who has to go through god knows what.

So in a way I do understand the desire to actually change this behaviour and prevent that person from ever being victimised. Is it possible to do this? I don't know. It clearly won't happen if its not taken extremely seriously, but I do respect that they aren't just immediately sending the problem back out in to the world to become someone else's issue.

I do sympathise with the crows a bit, as the Pickett bump was virtually exactly the same (arguably worse).
Wehr went off, Smith didn't. Only difference. Has been for years. Amazing that some people still don't understand it. You don't have to like it (and I don't), but professional football clubs and highly paid KC's should understand it.

The thing is that for him to go to jail it likely means he goes beyond the texting and threats to actually delivering on something, and for this to happen it means there is a more extreme victim who has to go through god knows what.

So in a way I do understand the desire to actually change this behaviour and prevent that person from ever being victimised. Is it possible to do this? I don't know. It clearly won't happen if its not taken extremely seriously, but I do respect that they aren't just immediately sending the problem back out in to the world to become someone else's issue.
They've gone down the education path and evidently it hasn't worked. Taryn either can't or won't change. You're quite right that this probably ends with some poor woman being assaulted (or worse).

Wehr went off, Smith didn't. Only difference. Has been for years. Amazing that some people still don't understand it. You don't have to like it (and I don't), but professional football clubs and highly paid KC's should understand it.
He “went off”. I would accept it it Wehr suffered concussion, but he didn’t. Seems to me that the outcome is the same in both cases.

Because it's not a draw, it's a fixture.

It's just as well Geelong have never benefited from AFL trade rorting like getting a top 10 pick and a former top 10 pick player for a future third round pick ... oh wait ...

McAdams himself isn't hard done by, it's the Pickett/Franklin type incidents which are the ones in the wrong here and make the McAdam's decision look mindboggling. The fact that Pickett jumped, after the ball had been disposed of, smashed a guy in the head without the ball, and only got 2 weeks is an absolute joke in itself. The MRO is so stupid when you can't argue the two and/or precedence and the whole system is favoured towards the AFL's favourite sons.

There's no way that if SPP did what Pickett did that he would only get 2 weeks.

The comparison shouldn't be between Pickett and McAdam but McAdam and Franklin.

McAdam and Franklin bumps had the same outcome but one player was given 3 games and the other player one game.

So it is wrong to say the only factor involved in grading is the outcome.

With the introduction of the power of the MRP officer to upgrade impact based on potential to cause injury, there is a new interpretive element to grading suspensions.

Franklin's bump was graded medium impact as was McAdam's. But then McAdam's impact assessment was increased two levels to severe because of potential to cause injury. Franklin's was not, even though he hit Collins fully in the head with his shoulder. The ump didn't even pay a free then a couple of seconds later paid a free to Franklin for holding, giving him a shot on goal.

Four umpires, working a treat. MRP even more confusing. Good job AFL.

I've made this comparison before, but consider the below progression:
1) Compete for the ball legally
2) Compete for the ball legally, with incidental head high contact resulting in injury (Example: Bruhn & Cerra in the last quarter last night)
3) Bump with head high contact that doesn't result in injury (Pickett)
4) Bump with head high contact that results in injury (Arguably Adams, there was at the least more impact than Pickett's though that had more to do with luck and anything else)

The above and below are pretty much the same:
1) Drive at the speed limit
2) Drive at the speed limit and someone walks out in front of you when it's too late to stop
3) Drive above the speed limit but don't hit anyone, or hit someone that doesn't result in injury
- Punishment ranges from demerit points to losing license to losing car
4) Drive above the speed limit and hit someone
- Punishment is entirely dependent on severity of injury, right up to manslaughter if they die

I'm interested in whether people agree/disagree, and also whether we think speeding drivers should get punished as if they've hit and injured someone, even when they haven't? Because that's what punishing the act, rather than the outcome, actually means.

The comparison shouldn't be between Pickett and McAdam but McAdam and Franklin.

McAdam and Franklin bumps had the same outcome but one player was given 3 games and the other player one game.

So it is wrong to say the only factor involved in grading is the outcome.

With the introduction of the power of the MRP officer to upgrade impact based on potential to cause injury, there is a new interpretive element to grading suspensions.

Franklin's bump was graded medium impact as was McAdam's. But then McAdam's impact assessment was increased two levels to severe because of potential to cause injury. Franklin's was not, even though he hit Collins fully in the head with his shoulder. The ump didn't even pay a free then a couple of seconds later paid a free to Franklin for holding, giving him a shot on goal.

Four umpires, working a treat. MRP even more confusing. Good job AFL.
I think that's the difference between a player running through an opponent as if they're not really there, vs a player leaping headlong, off the ground to take out an opponent. Franklin's can at least be interpreted as a footballing action (a poorly executed shepherd). There is no doubt what McAdam intended at all, and it wasn't to shepherd or block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back