Game Day Port v Melbourne @ the 'G

Remove this Banner Ad

Game day at last!

Back to where the Hinkley era began in 2013, kicking off our season against Melbourne at the 'G. And this feels like a new beginning in itself - 4 debutants, 6 club debutants, a revamped coaching panel and a promise to do a full 180 on last year's ultra defensive game style.

It's also Robbie Gray's 200th game which coincides nicely with our grey guernsey's 1st official game.

Let's see what we've got, campaigners.

Just get stuck in and put the pressure on lads

Game day at last!

Back to where the Hinkley era began in 2013, kicking off our season against Melbourne at the 'G. And this feels like a new beginning in itself - 4 debutants, 6 club debutants, a revamped coaching panel and a promise to do a full 180 on last year's ultra defensive game style.

It's also Robbie Gray's 200th game which coincides nicely with our grey guernsey's 1st official game.

Port's games are like Uruguayana's weather: one must be ready for everything. They are favourites, but not by much. It wouldn't be an upset if we win. So, JUST WIN, PORT!!!

P.S.: I am taking my Port guernsey to the office this afternoon to celebrate the start of our season.

Bounce-off at 11:45pm Friday, here. Game day came earlier to me!
I know how you feel. I regularly watch soccer in the middle of the night, games that are before midnight are celebrated.

Port's games are like Uruguayana's weather: one must be ready for everything. They are favourites, but not by much. It wouldn't be an upset if we win. So, JUST WIN, PORT!!!

P.S.: I am taking my Port guernsey to the office this afternoon to celebrate the start of our season.

Speaking of weather it’s gonna be 32 degrees with a morning shower and reasonable humidity, so it’ll be hard work out there and probably a bit slippery too. It’s not often you wear shorts to the footy!

Keen af to see how the new players and new philosophy pan out. Ports by 18.

Also congratulations to Justin Westhoff who now has the longest streak of consecutive games in the AFL after Zac Tuohy missed for Geelong this evening.
Would be +100 or so games on that streak if it wasn’t for a bullishit striking suspension (he effectively didn’t make contact with Cale Hooker) against Essendon.

Incredibly durable.

And so it begins, again.

I haven't got a clue if we are going to be terrible, competitive or decent.

Not sure if the coaching will be any better now or throughout the year. Haven't got a real good take on Rockliff as yet, the young guys have potential but again, are they ready. Will Lycett and Ryder work? Can we discover some run and carry from the back half? Will our mids look capable of moving the ball smoothly and with speed? Will we have a forward line after the first hint of pressure on the scoreboard is applied?

I'd love to just see something I can start believing in again. Doesn't have to mean a win but needs to be something the aligns with the core of being Port Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Starting 1045pm here, perfect :fire::fire:

The start of a new era and very fitting it's at the G, where we announced ourselves in 2004 and the false rebirth of 2013.

Let's see which of Butters, Rozee, Duursma (and Drew) will announce themselves first.

Game day at last!

Nice to recognise Robbie Gray's milestone but I am not sure I am going to celebrate a grey guernsey. We have tried this before and the grey was supposed to symbolise the silver in our official colours. Apparently the grey was approved by the players so it is sure to contribute to on field success. Didn't bother with AFLX so I have not seen the guernsey in action and hopefully this one has black numbers and not white ones like that previous abortion. When the players were on the other side of the ground many of us with older eyes couldn't make the numbers out.

Regardless as to what we are wearing a lot of things have to go right for us to win but here is hoping.

GO THE POWER! - let's start as we mean to finish. :D

Last edited:
We could play well and look good and still lose today if melbourne bring their A game. Whatever the result we will know if we are heading in the right direction after today. 4 points would be great but how we play and soak up the pressure is as important, lets put 2015 - 2018 behind us for good and start a new era today. Go ports

Excited that footy is back, but nervous about this game!

Melbourne by 19 points. I think we'll stay right with them for most of the match, but at some point we'll have a little lapse for 5 minutes which allows them to get a few unanswered goals that we can't peg back. Make no mistake though - we are absolutely capable of winning this match if we stay switched on.

It was not that long ago that we went to play Sydney in Sydney Round 1 in a game we couldn't win, but we did.
Anything is possible Round 1.

Hoping for the right attitude, the right structures and the right execution, the rest would then take care of itself.

We know that we have at least 3 players that will be stepping into the first 22 when they are able (4 if you think broady and hammer can play in the same side). Competition for spots should be fierce.

Looking forward to seeing the steel strip in action.

Congratulations on 200 Robbie.

Good luck lads.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back