Positional Try-outs

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the season gone, and the next few years potentially bleak is it time for the AFC to try some of our guys out in different positions? I think most of us will say yes.

We have seen Neil try one this year that has worked in Jaenschy, plus another couple of others, please add thoughts on the merit, obvious and not so obvious included.

Petrenko, Knights, Wright and Danger (Remaining in the centre for the year) -Petrenko is a guy who hasn't got the best skills yet and sometimes tries too much, but most of all he tries and goes in hard for the footy. The other three has been talked about, Danger some time consistently in there, Knights in there other than junk time and Wright is showing a bit already.

Sloane and Douglas (half forward) - These guys get some time around here but need more like 70% of their game time in these positions. Sloane is a very good overhead and leading mark and Dougy still has the goal kicking capabilities.

L Thompson, Moran and Sellar (tried up forward at some point each for a few games) - We need more forward marking capabilities and we might as well see if these boys can add a bit up there.

Hendo and Tambling (on the wings) - Hendo has been used there but I think it is worth adding tambling onto a wing

Moran (wing) - an alternative. The guys might not be everyone's favourite but is starting to do well defensively at Westies and a wing could be very good for him. Tall marking option out wide, has speed and gives him space.

Gunston (defender) - Craig has been trying it, worth persisting

I'd be throwing them around week to week.

Danger to HBF or CHB would be one worth trying first. Let him run straight at the footy, impact contests and try and run forward. If after 2 or 3 games his use is a problem then we look to change. Better yet.. how about giving him game situations to run and be challenged to improve.....

Knights more through the midfield.

VB to forward defensive blanket.

Tips to a leading CHF role, so long as we figure out a decent structure behind him!

Tambling used as a defensive forward or crumbing forward.

Loved to see this. However, will it happen? When pigs fly i guess

Anything different would be nice.

Hear me out now, but chuck K Tip at FB for a while and Rutten to FF, it's a bit U11's I know, but it's all about learining, K Tip can learn how to make position, blocking, leading etc and he has the strength to do it as well. Rutten was an under age forward so he has experience there as well

I'd be throwing them around week to week.

Danger to HBF or CHB would be one worth trying first. Let him run straight at the footy, impact contests and try and run forward. If after 2 or 3 games his use is a problem then we look to change. Better yet.. how about giving him game situations to run and be challenged to improve.....

Knights more through the midfield.

VB to forward defensive blanket.

Tips to a leading CHF role, so long as we figure out a decent structure behind him!

You good sir have posted nearly everything I intended to say.

The only difference is that I wanted to used van Berlo as our tagger & I just want Reilly out of our midfield in general.

Maybe give Jaensch a shot on the ball for short bursts if he can handle it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back