Review Positives and negatives season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfes work inside was insanely good vs Pies. Everyone harps on about the big bodied bollocking mid, well that was his role on the weekend. His pressure, body work and deft touches inside the contest was first rate.
Some people just see the flying for marks and not coming down with it and judge his whole game on that it seems.
He did say he wants to be able to do more outside work though. We need someone else, maybe Blakely + maybe one more, to pick up some of the slack. We want Fyfe to be able to express his all-round talents a bit more.

Positives:
-Won the games we should have won: 8 wins with one of the youngest and inexperienced 22s is reasonable
-Ryan and Langdon solid best 18 contributors now
-Banfield, Cerra, Brayshaw all show promise to be
-A.Pearce slotted back in, Darcy not just a flash from last year and Cox is a KPF we can build around (that he only just turned 20 is amazing). With Hamling and Tabs there is an ok spine that could become a very good one
-Duman, Nyhuis, Giro, Switkowski all played some games where there were clear flashes so next year will be interesting there.
-Wilson a great in, the backline is really settling down nicely.

Negatives:
-Cam Mac needs to sort his head out. All the talent in the world just needs clear coaching direction, some confidence in his play and to seriously dedicate himself to football. I am still a believer but next year is make or break.
-Forwards WTF is this s**t seriously. Need more talent and more structure.
-Going whole halves without kicking goals is just putrid even for a young team near the end of season
-S.Hill, Dixon, Blakely and Logue injuries a real bummer

Neutral/Not Sure:
-Ethan Hughes showed flashes last year but seemed to regress. The last game was very promising. Does he have a future in the backline? Not sure.
-Kersten move back somewhat resurrected what was a surefire dead career - but is he a net positive long term? Not sure.
-Crowden. Clearly has the ability, will he get used to the pace of the game at AFL level or will size and style limit him? Probably the one who showed the least at AFL level even if his WAFL year was good for a small 18 year old.

Ross. I still think the list is where most of the issues are, especially how we have really gone all out play the kids and turn over the list. The list is basically completely turned over now though, and I think people do underestimate just how much of a cut it has been. Next year I will judge him, given we will have a few players crossing into the 30-60 game mark where I really expect them to start to be positive contributors week in week out. Plus another top-10 pick. Skills and structure need to improve forward of centre as well. He clearly still has the players and is clearly still able to at times have them playing good footy. The Dogs and Lions will improve next year, and even though we are a bit behind those teams in terms of profile, that's the mark where I think we need to be. 10 wins and more consistently competitive football is the benchmark for me.

ross constantly harps on about how the "skills come from the system - by the time they get to Fremantle there is not much you can do - its too late". I've heard his assistants say the exact same line... absolute nonsense.

I assume Mason Cox arrives at Fremantle and we go "oh well - its too late now"...?
It's such a load of s**t. You still have the capacity to learn after 18, the brain is still wiring itself. While you have stopped growing in height by the time you're 18, your musculature doesn't really finish developing until you're in your mid-late 20s. It seems highly unlikely that skills development can have minimal impact after you reach AFL - in fact it is more likely that it can have the greatest impact in those early years when professional training can hone the skills before they 'set'.

It sounds like some moronic country football rule of thumb from 30 years ago. Is there any scientific literature that agrees with Lyon's claim?

ross constantly harps on about how the "skills come from the system - by the time they get to Fremantle there is not much you can do - its too late". I've heard his assistants say the exact same line... absolute nonsense.

I assume Mason Cox arrives at Fremantle and we go "oh well - its too late now"...?

Got some sauce for that quote bud

Webb was actually running an extra skills program this year

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...improvement-in-accuracy-by-foot-ng-b88878503z

Last edited:
Short and sweet/sour

Positives
Young blokes showed some fantastic signs, particularly Cerra, Cox, Brayshaw and Banfield
Our start to the year was promising. Some good attacking displays and excellent ball movement
Blakely, Tabs and Langdon affirming themselves as B22

Negatives
Injuries
Our end of the year - firing blanks, no reward for effort, ugly footy
Skills
Geelong

I'm looking forward to a break after the finals. This year was a slog.

Got some sauce for that quote bud

Webb was actually running an extra skills program this year

https://thewest.com.au/sport/freman...improvement-in-accuracy-by-foot-ng-b88878503z

Isn't that just highlighting the problem. We ignore skills training to such a degree that players have to train it outside the main program.

This was legitimately the first thing that came up. Little dated perhaps but anecdotally I think he's affirmed pretty much all of this in this year's pressers.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/ross-lyon-qa---extended-edition-ng-b88419049z

''When you get to AFL football you can work on your skill and execution but it is by degrees from there... I have never been one to focus on skill level. We work on it and we acknowledge it but for whatever reason it crept into our vernacular and our coaching about execution of skill and we shifted away from things that you can control with effort, intensity. The players noticed the shift and said let’s stop talking about skill execution and let’s value what we always have which is collective effort and great preparation and teamsmanship and those sort of things.''

He basically affirms that he'll always value effort over skills because that's 'who he is.' Little worrying for mine.

Blokes that have never played the game are at an advantage since they didn't learn a whole bunch of terrible habits growing up. They literally get taught by experts from scratch.

Positives
Its free real estate's avatar - makes me laugh every time I see it.

Negatives
Freo supporters starting threads on the Scandals and Rumours board essentially airing the coach/clubs rumoured "dirty washing" - Really what purpose does it serve????????
The purpose is to make losers feel better about their own lives - deadly serious about that too.

Isn't that just highlighting the problem. We ignore skills training to such a degree that players have to train it outside the main program.

This was legitimately the first thing that came up. Little dated perhaps but anecdotally I think he's affirmed pretty much all of this in this year's pressers.

''When you get to AFL football you can work on your skill and execution but it is by degrees from there... I have never been one to focus on skill level. We work on it and we acknowledge it but for whatever reason it crept into our vernacular and our coaching about execution of skill and we shifted away from things that you can control with effort, intensity. The players noticed the shift and said let’s stop talking about skill execution and let’s value what we always have which is collective effort and great preparation and teamsmanship and those sort of things.''

He basically affirms that he'll always value effort over skills because that's 'who he is.' Little worrying for mine.

Skill execution under pressure IS modern football. That doesn't mean disregarding the off the ball work, pressure and intensity. Gone are the days when you can focus on one or the other and make it your gameplan, all the decent sides these days - the top 12 or so are able to do both and the top 4 sides have the best skills under pressure. It needs to be a muscle memory thing, which is based on training. It is clear from the onfield performance that that training hasn't been happening, or the program has been poorly executed.

Skill execution under pressure IS modern football. That doesn't mean disregarding the off the ball work, pressure and intensity. Gone are the days when you can focus on one or the other and make it your gameplan, all the decent sides these days - the top 12 or so are able to do both and the top 4 sides have the best skills under pressure. It needs to be a muscle memory thing, which is based on training. It is clear from the onfield performance that that training hasn't been happening, or the program has been poorly executed.

Of the drills that we do in a group (the 2 team training sessions per week), it is the high intensity stuff group stuff. It's working the ball through congestion because a load of people gives you congestion... Do drills based on your tactics, set 2 rucks against each other with midfielders under their feet and do clearance drills, high intensity handball drills etc.

You listed 2 possibilities on skills under pressure training, 1 hasn't been happening or 2 poorly executed. I think it's a fraction of 2 and mostly 3 - that it takes time, we've turned over half our list in 2 years and it takes longer than people would think to get it drilled. I'm a guitarist, it takes years before you wake up and realise that you are a competent guitarist - muscle memory that you mention takes a lot of repetition.

New trades who have a wealth of AFL experience, let alone draftees, take time to work out the new group, to translate what is so simple on a whiteboard when you have plenty of time to ask questions, compared to the heat of the moment when your team isn't in perfect position and the opponents are doing their best to thwart your attempts to dispose where you only had 1 second to see the field and make a decision. Wilson for example, his individual game was great from the start (sublime kicks etc) but the team side of his game took time to develop at Freo, people don't spread to where you are used to compared to when you played for the other team, to get to know the strengths and weaknesses of your team mates (e.g. don't instantly pass the ball to Zac Dawson unless their aren't any other options - and even then...).

Also, weak/inexperienced players (kids) make things look worse. For example, tackling when you are a skinny rake is harder to do than when you've bulked up. When they started the season the young midfielders were getting 12-14 disposals which increased upwards over the season, but a long way still from what will be expected as seasoned veterans. A game is filled with chains of possession and with low disposal/accumulation by the kids, they introduce weakness to those chains, particularly when they tire before their opponent.

Last edited:
teaching someone with bad habits is just harder. its a cop out.
No, it is not. It is the truth.

Don't make me go find the Clarkson article where he explicitly states that good kicks are drafted because I am not doing that again. If you search for me talking about this topic before you will find it. No BF guru is going to convince me over Clarko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it's a worry. To get anywhere near a grand final we need a combination of factors going our way - skills, teamwork/chemistry, tactics/game plan, discipline, effort etc. We need to be above average in all of those areas. it is having all these things in combination which makes it work and makes it hard for the opposition to copy. As far as effort goes, yes it is important of course, but it is probably the easiest component to copy - take a better skilled team with more effective tactics and get them motivated up to the same level of effort and they'll still beat a Ross Lyon coached team in a grand final.

Positives
Its free real estate's avatar - makes me laugh every time I see it.

Negatives
Freo supporters starting threads on the Scandals and Rumours board essentially airing the coach/clubs rumoured "dirty washing" - Really what purpose does it serve????????
Gosh, just read the original post. What a complete dickhead. And all based on Hardie and Hagdorn rumours. OMFG

The tools on the AFL wash up site gave us 3 and 2 out of ten. Barrett such a dickhead. If we're not winning the premiership we're building to do so..meaning sometimes we get belted. We will be in the 8 next year, I have no doubt and we wont drop out of it again until the likes of Fyfe and Neale are looking at retiring.

The tools on the AFL wash up site gave us 3 and 2 out of ten. Barrett such a dickhead. If we're not winning the premiership we're building to do so..meaning sometimes we get belted. We will be in the 8 next year, I have no doubt and we wont drop out of it again until the likes of Fyfe and Neale are looking at retiring.
Watched it, fingernail deep analysis at best.

Who are your tips for dropping out of the eight?

We will be in the 8 next year, I have no doubt and we wont drop out of it again until the likes of Fyfe and Neale are looking at retiring.

I've been enjoying the rebuild since the end of 2016 and have been fairly optimistic since, this year I am pretty happy with 8 wins despite thinking we could of won around 10 or more if we had better availability and we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot during some games. Next year we should be winning at least 10 games, 12 should be the goal and we should be considered potential finals contenders at some stage. No 100pt losses. No excuse for that. Surely some things in the staff department and within the game-plan will be fine tuned on top of us having better luck next year with injuries.

Who are your tips for dropping out of the eight?

Sydney will have a lot of players on their last legs next year, if they push hard this finals series and fall short they may bomb out similar to us - but probably not as bad. If GWS lose talent again and have even half the injuries they had next year you would assume faith among the playing group will drop. Eagles are sort of similar to Sydney especially without Gaff, but not as bad I think, probably won't make the 4 and will have their Top 8 spot threatened.

I decided to go round by round.

Round 1: Port - Loss

Pos: Dardy’s goal. A.Pearce return.

Neg: Terrible structure. Old team.

Round 2: Essendon - Win

Pos: 1st win at Optus Stadium. Wilson+Langdon show skills. Tabs showed what we wanted to see. 100+ points. Cerra kicking 2.

Neg: Let them in late. Should have been a 6+goal win. Freo’s halftime kiddy side was absolutely demolished.

Round 3: Gold Coast - Win

Pos: Dardy kicks 3. Fyfe being Fyfe. Walters looked like a breakout season. I got a free pint of swan at the Camfield because the bloke next to me didn’t want it.

Neg: Took 3 quarters to get going. Constantly locked in the back half for the first half of footy

Round 4: GWS - Loss

Pos: Stephen Hill looked good. Fyfe/Neale/Mundy all showed something

Neg: Skills (this is a regular throughout the season). Team Cohesion. Game plan.

Round 5: Bulldogs - Win

Pos: Attacking football. Fyfe. Skills & game plan looked good

Neg: Tabs :’( I forgot to redeem my free big mac that Monday

Round 6: Slime - Loss

Pos: Took it to them the whole game. Neale working hard. Back 6 started to take shape.

Neg: Walters injury. Umpires. F**kin Umpires. Kicking it to MGov. I drove so was sober the whole game.

Round 7: Richmond - Loss

Pos: Fyfe. Basically just Fyfe. Oh, they didn’t kick a goal in the 3rd quarter!

Neg: Gameplan. Skills. Execution. Being witches’ hats.

Round 8: Saints - Win

Pos: Fyfe. Langdon showing what he can do. Back 6 again.

Neg: We made St Kilda look competitive. Still struggled with skills. Boring game.

Round 9: Sydney - Loss

Pos: My girlfriend and her friends were watching the royal wedding, playing drinking games with red wine so I missed the game.

Neg: We lost and forgot that you need to kick goals. Shiraz is not as good as CabSav. The royal wedding is boring even when you’re red wine drunk.

Round 10: North - Loss

Pos: During the game, Jarred Waite slipped over running for the ball and Wilson laughed at him which I found funny.

Neg: Basically everything else. Umpiring. Sandi concussion. Not knowing how to kick a f**king goal.

Round 11: Pies - Loss

Pos: First goals to Jones/Giro. Giro looked good on debut. Walters tried hard.

Neg: Fyfe getting suspended for going for the ball. Forgetting to kick goals. The Dunsborough Jazz festival was actually pretty average.

Round 12: Crows – Win. Best win of our season.

Pos: Cox stepping up. Cerra showing what he’s capable of. Tough win against decent opposition. I remembered to get my big mac this Monday (members can go to multiple Maccas with their lanyards, I may or may not have had 4 big macs that day). Winning without Sandi/Fyfe.

Neg: Sonny’s brain snap. Spending an unfathomable amount on celebratory pints afterwards.

Round 13: Blues - Win

Pos: Our biggest win of the season. First half showed us what we can do. An attacking mindset.

Neg: Should’ve been a 100+ win.

Bye Round: At this point I was happy. At this point, I thought we’d scrap to 11 or so wins and get some momentum for 2019. This next half of our season hurt.

Pos: I discovered some awesome bars in the city

Neg: My bank balance never recovered.

Round 14: Brisbane – Loss. Worst loss of the season

Pos: It’s over. Langdon showed he’s in our top 10 players.

Neg: Everything basically. Fyfe injury. Where our season went after this.

Round 15: Melbourne - Loss

Pos: Brayshaw V Brayshaw was great. Cerra stepped up. Gawn gave Darcy loads of advice after the game. Nice guy. Christ Tarrant didn’t flash anyone in a nightclub.

Neg: Gameplan and structure. Never looked like showing up.

Round 16: Port - Win

Pos: Mundy just being Mundy. Ground out a tough win. Luke Ryan showing how close he is to being a gun. Cox kicking a clutch goal in the third.

Neg: Goalkicking (0.7 in the second quarter). Nyhuis getting 3 weeks. Halftime Freo kids got belted.

Round 17: Essendon - Loss

Pos: Remained in the game until the last. Banfield tried hard. Wilson giving run. My friend’s wedding was quite nice and free booze always helps a loss.

Neg: Structurally our forward line sucked. Darcy getting injured. Skills once again sucked.

Round 18: Hawks – Loss.

Pos: I got to drink full-strength beer. Langdon again showed he can play well in a loss.

Neg: Basically everything else. One of our worst losses for the season.

Round 19: Slime - Loss

Pos: Walters mark. The aftermath of everything showing the rest of Australia what campaigners that other mob is.

Neg: I won’t go into it, you all know.

Round 20: Blues - Win

Pos: We won. Dardy kicked 3. Neale showed us why he’s so good.

Neg: Walters (almost) injury. We looked like a bottom 4 team for most of the game. We still never looked like putting them away.

Round 21: Cats – A shellacking

Pos: Fyfe showed why we love him.

Neg: Literally everything else. See Richmond game.

Round 22: Pies - Loss

Pos: Seasons over. We put up a fight. Farewelled MJ with a competitive performance.

Neg: Same as always, skills, game plan, forward 50 entries. D.Pearce should've played in hindsight.

As for the season as a whole:

Positives:
Ryan, Langdon, Brayshaw, Cerra, Blakely (pre-injury), Cox & Banfield all look like they can make the next step next year.
Tabs taking the next step.
Mundy turning back the clock.
Fyfe's first half of the season. Neale's second half.
Back 6 looking good. Wilson was a good get
Lots of games into 1st, 2nd and 3rd-year players.

Negatives:
Injuries.
Game plan - We seem to struggle to score even when we dominate.
The number of heavy losses.
Dardy going backwards.

Positives
1. Cerra looks a real player
2. Backline looks epic. Ryan, hamling, Pearce, hill, Blakey etc is a bloody good group
3. The win against Adelaide is one of The best I can remember in the last few years

Negatives
1. Brayshaws kicking. He may turn into a good player, but it bothers me that we have used pick 2 on a guy who whilst tough, fit and has a great competitive streak... doesn’t seem to be able to kick....
2. Can McCarthy. Not fit enough, and playing as a kpf in our forwardline doesn’t have the presence. Real concern.... think of the bullet we dodged by gws not accepting two first rounders!
3. Potential departure of cerra. If he hasn’t signed an extension by now... will he? I think he may not commit and subsequently be traded.
4. Away form. Completely uncompetitive
5. The eagles... I’m still staggered that a team with scrubs such as masten, hutchings, redden, jetta and Cripps are even in the top 8, let alone likely to win the flag... just makes this year so much worse

Positives:
1. we have now a Premiership winning backline in Alex P, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson, Stevie H(if they can sort out his quad issues), & Duman/Logue
2. Langdon and Blakely are nearly A graders need to take the next step.Tucker could be but needs to be more consistent.
3. Darcy needs to study Grundy as the type of ruckman he need to aspire to.
4. Brayshaw & Cera are worth their 2 & 5 Draft standings
5. Mundy & Neale kept the midfield from caving in.

Negatives:
1. Does RTB listen to his assistants? also his rebuild fits"too" neatly into his contract length.
2. re-signing a 36 Yr old in Sandilands . Injury prone and if the club wants him around our emerging ruckmen then sign him as a full time ruck coach and move eastaugh on. Can not see Sandi and Darcy in the same side. would mean that cox or tabs miss out.
3. connection between midfield and the forwards
4. Supposedly had an extra skills session each week but our skill level is still very average for an AFL side.
5. McCarthy plays at Peel early on in 2019 till his form warrants selection.

Positives

5. The eagles... I’m still staggered that a team with scrubs such as masten, hutchings, redden, jetta and Cripps are even in the top 8, let alone likely to win the flag... just makes this year so much worse

its the culture of their organization - expect to play finals every year and they have had 8 debutants this yr.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back