Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how serious people are when they demand a Premiership from Buddy's contract. I want my club to strive to be the best in Australia on and off the field. That means playing list, facilities, player welfare, supporter engagement, competitiveness, sponsorship book, memberships, entertainment value...the lot.

A lot of that has happened with Buddy on the books - cup or no. Was Buddy the sole reason? No. Was Buddy a factor? Hell yes.

If an a-grade player asks if we're interested in recruiting him and we are, I don't see us telling them we want you but only if we win the flag.

I'm not sure how serious people are when they demand a Premiership from Buddy's contract. I want my club to strive to be the best in Australia on and off the field. That means playing list, facilities, player welfare, supporter engagement, competitiveness, sponsorship book, memberships, entertainment value...the lot.

A lot of that has happened with Buddy on the books - cup or no. Was Buddy the sole reason? No. Was Buddy a factor? Hell yes.

If an a-grade player asks if we're interested in recruiting him and we are, I don't see us telling them we want you but only if we win the flag.

9 years 10 million to a 27 year old when you are a year off your last flag are key facts in this

I love what Buddy brings, but he didnt waltz in and asked to join a great side, we paid out the nose for a superstar to join an already good team

He came at unprecedented cost

I don't get the premiership argument either. Every single year, 18 clubs spend $10million (or whatever the exact salary cap is) and 17 of them don't win premierships. If we don't get one we're no more of a failure than the other clubs who didn't win a premiership over that period, which at bare minimum will be 11 (Hawthorn have won the first 2). We've chosen to spend our salary cap in a particular way, just as everyone else has.

I don't get the premiership argument either. Every single year, 18 clubs spend $10million (or whatever the exact salary cap is) and 17 of them don't win premierships. If we don't get one we're no more of a failure than the other clubs who didn't win a premiership over that period, which at bare minimum will be 11 (Hawthorn have won the first 2). We've chosen to spend our salary cap in a particular way, just as everyone else has.

Well I sure look forward to the being the narrative should Buddy never taste success in Sydney ..

Well I sure look forward to the being the narrative should Buddy never taste success in Sydney ..
The only team it can come from is Hawthorn. What are Collingwood going to say?

"LOL Sydney spent their whole salary cap for the past 9 years and didn't win a Premiership. Yeah we didn't win s**t either and they actually played finals but LOL Sydney!"

Who cares.

"LOL Sydney spent their whole salary cap for the past 9 years and didn't win a Premiership. Yeah we didn't win s**t either and they actually played finals but LOL Sydney!"

Who cares.
Your quote was spot on I reckon.

Who cares.

Dont disagree with you, I am fairly confident if Buddy steps away without a swans flag the media bitch fest on Sydney and their cap spend will be endless, especially the earlier he goes

Off field the Buddy deal is unquestionably a success.

On field it has to be considered what kind of position we'd be in had we not done the Buddy deal. We would probably still have Mumford, Malceski, Everitt, White, and maybe Biggs. We may have also been able to add another fringe player or two to fill gaps in our list with the extra salary space which may have given us better depth and balance. However, on exposed form, Mal is cooked and Mumford is often injured, none of those guys foreseeably add close to what Buddy does.

We made a prelim in 2013 before Buddy, since then we made the GF, made top 4 before going out in straight sets after a heap of injuries, and look set to make top 4 again. Clearly our premiership chances haven't been hurt by the Buddy, whether it would result in a premiership time will tell, but so far it's hard to see how we could have been in a better position without it.

Off field the Buddy deal is unquestionably a success.

On field it has to be considered what kind of position we'd be in had we not done the Buddy deal. We would probably still have Mumford, Malceski, Everitt, White, and maybe Biggs. We may have also been able to add another fringe player or two to fill gaps in our list with the extra salary space which may have given us better depth and balance. However, on exposed form, Mal is cooked and Mumford is often injured, none of those guys foreseeably add close to what Buddy does.

We made a prelim in 2013 before Buddy, since then we made the GF, made top 4 before going out in straight sets after a heap of injuries, and look set to make top 4 again. Clearly our premiership chances haven't been hurt by the Buddy, whether it would result in a premiership time will tell, but so far it's hard to see how we could have been in a better position without it.
Then saying that Mal & Mumford have had to become the #1 with little support. Mumford in particular has had to carry their side a fair few times (particularly early on). He would have had Tippo, Pykey, Nank & Naisy all to help carry the load. Not to mention a midfield which wouldn't have needed his follow up work as much. All of that would have probably meant less injury & more consistency had he stayed.

Then saying that Mal & Mumford have had to become the #1 with little support. Mumford in particular has had to carry their side a fair few times (particularly early on). He would have had Tippo, Pykey, Nank & Naisy all to help carry the load. Not to mention a midfield which wouldn't have needed his follow up work as much. All of that would have probably meant less injury & more consistency had he stayed.
Guess it's hard to say how they would have performed had they stayed. Mal is one of those players who probably worked better in our system as well. In any case, even if they continued their form from their final seasons at the club it's hard to see them outweighing what Buddy's been able to bring.

Interesting that had we won the games against Richmond, Hawks and WB (all lost with under a minute to go) our season looks like one of the most dominant in years.

AZiIQaI.jpg

EDIT: Ignore the losses column.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way this is even an issue when buddy retires as it wasn't with Alastair lynch's contract which was large when he signed and very cheap when he retired. Buddy's will probably only be relatively expensive in his final years that he may or not play out. I would do that every decade for a player like buddy. Good on the swans for having a crack. The players who left are not in the same league

McVeigh starting to get back to that type of form. Seriously, I don't get why people think he should retire.

He was struggling earlier in the season, but I think older guys can be slow starters and don't hit form until later in the year. We've seen it with Goodes before.

He was struggling earlier in the season, but I think older guys can be slow starters and don't hit form until later in the year. We've seen it with Goodes before.
Of course he was struggling, he had no pre season. Anyways, I'll make like that Frozen kid and let it go. Think he's set for a big finals series.

Of course he was struggling, he had no pre season.

Yeah, I remember a few people pointed that out, but somehow the idea that he should retire gathered momentum. BF is funny that way in how some ideas take hold. Cunningham is scared of any physical contact, Mitchell is slow and can't kick, Hanners is a ball butcher, Jack can't kick on his right foot, etc etc. One thing you can be sure of is that whatever weakness a player has, it will be magnified on here. I just wonder how we are on top of the ladder with so many spuds in our team.

Yeah, I remember a few people pointed that out, but somehow the idea that he should retire gathered momentum. BF is funny that way in how some ideas take hold. Cunningham is scared of any physical contact, Mitchell is slow and can't kick, Hanners is a ball butcher, Jack can't kick on his right foot, etc etc. One thing you can be sure of is that whatever weakness a player has, it will be magnified on here. I just wonder how we are on top of the ladder with so many spuds in our team.
We have a horse coaching us as well......

Of course he was struggling, he had no pre season. Anyways, I'll make like that Frozen kid and let it go. Think he's set for a big finals series.

Cheers Tick...that song being stuck in my head was exactly what I needed just before bed time! :mad:

Cheers Tick...that song being stuck in my head was exactly what I needed just before bed time! :mad:

I actually like it :oops: though having said that, the cold never bothered me anyway ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back