Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

For the greatest indigenous footballer

In fairness it'd be hard to match Buddy up with anyone in that realm besides maybe Goodes and Polly Farmer.

Top of my head

goodes
franklin
farmer * didnt see going on reputation/reading
mcleod
s burgoyne
matera

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Top of my head

goodes
franklin
mcleod
s burgoyne
matera

They aren't just asking about Buddy and Betts. They have set up a whole bracket which includes them and all they players you listed, plus a few more honourable mentions (Wanganeen, Long, Rioli, Winmar...). Eddie and Buddy is just the first match up as they whittle the list down to one player. You can see the whole thing here:

They aren't just asking about Buddy and Betts. They have set up a whole bracket which includes them and all they players you listed, plus a few more honourable mentions (Wanganeen, Long, Rioli, Winmar...). Eddie and Buddy is just the first match up as they whittle the list down to one player. You can see the whole thing here:

well thats very different then, just a bracket

cheers

Top of my head

goodes
franklin
mcleod
s burgoyne
matera

Yeah seems there would be a clear top three. Buddy & Goodes are miles ahead as the two best I've seen in my lifetime, not sure how anyone could see it differently as well, and Farmer's reputation is miles ahead of his peers from that era.

Matera & McLeod would round out my top five, though I've just consulted with my granddad and he said Maurice Rioli was an unbelievable player, saw him play all the time in the flesh both for Richmond and South Fremantle.

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As someone who is finally clicking over 250 posts I'm in awe of the numbers some of you have chalked up. How do you have time for life rituals, like lining up for toilet paper? I'm exhausted, are you machines? If I was a little more computer-savvy I'd mock up one of those are you a robot things and ask you to blank out the photos with traffic lights.

A83B370E-0FA7-437F-881A-93DFA8DD0685.jpeg

The pain of losing a prelim in 13 was nothing compared to losing 14 and 16.

If we make it to a GF I want to win it. Rather not make it than lose it
I hear this said a lot but always with the benefit of hindsight after knowing the GF is lost.
Nobody ever says during prelim final week, 'hope we lose so we cant lose the GF' even if the other team in the grand final is a juggernaut and the chances of winning are only like 10%

I hear this said a lot but always with the benefit of hindsight after knowing the GF is lost.
Nobody ever says during prelim final week, 'hope we lose so we cant lose the GF' even if the other team in the grand final is a juggernaut and the chances of winning are only like 10%
I literally said something similar to that to my brother in law when we went to see the 16 prelim. I went to him "I'd much rather lose today than lose next week". Obviously I want to win both. But I'd be a lot less upset about losing the prelim than I about the GF from that year

I literally said something similar to that to my brother in law when we went to see the 16 prelim. I went to him "I'd much rather lose today than lose next week". Obviously I want to win both. But I'd be a lot less upset about losing the prelim than I about the GF from that year
I think with that logic you could probably extrapolate that to earlier finals though, like I'd rather lose a SF than PF, rather lose a EF than SF, rather not make finals than lose a EF.

But i reckon its just logically preferable to go as far as possible in finals even if you don't end up winning since there's enough inductive evidence to suggest that experience in that context matters among other things. For example, Clarkson changed buddy's after 2012 because the flaws of being too buddy centric were shown to him in that grand final and it can help that team win future premierships.

I think with that logic you could probably extrapolate that to earlier finals though, like I'd rather lose a SF than PF, rather lose a EF than SF, rather not make finals than lose a EF.

But i reckon its just logically preferable to go as far as possible in finals even if you don't end up winning since there's enough inductive evidence to suggest that experience in that context matters among other things. For example, Clarkson changed buddy's after 2012 because the flaws of being too buddy centric were shown to him in that grand final and it can help that team win future premierships.
Don't think GWS fans would agree with you at this moment in time.

Don't think GWS fans would agree with you at this moment in time.
Doesn't really matter what fans think. Geelong fans wouldn't agree with that after 2008, Hawkes fans wouldnt agree with it after 2012, West Coast fans wouldn't agree with it in 2015.

I imagine Collingwood fans would have preferred to lose in the GF than to lose to a team in the PF that didn't even put up a fight against Richmond

Doesn't really matter what fans think. Geelong fans wouldn't agree with that after 2008, Hawkes fans wouldnt agree with it after 2012, West Coast fans wouldn't agree with it in 2015.
Sorry my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, didn't think to add an emoji.

Tippett at his best was better than Pyke at his best don't ban me
I would if I could

There's no way Goodes should be full forward, put Tippett there and ditch one of the smalls

Back