POTY v Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'll kick it off.

5 - Montgomery - best game he's had this year. Every time the Saints got it out the centre it seemed he was there taking a mark and stopping the attack in it's tracks.
4 - Stevens. No coincidence the time the Saints looked the most dangerous out of the centre was when Nick and Brogan were off in the second quarter. Never stopped running and courage to come back after half time when the easy thing would have been to rest up.
3 - Brogan. With an undermanned Saints ruck unit got first use of the ball and helped us get it out of the centre again and again. Took telling defensive marks as well.
2 - Carr. Got Port off to the start it wanted. Had the Saints on the back foot from early on. One of his best games this year.
1 - P. Burgoyne. Along with Stevens excellent work out of the centre and chipped in with a couple of goals.

Honourable mentions. S. Burgoyne for keeping the dangerous Milne to only 1 goal and Cochrane. First time this year haven't had SuperGav in the votes. Looking a bit tired the last couple of weeks. The break couldn't come soon enough for him I think after the number of times he's done the impossible for us this year.

Coaching - 9 out of 10. Everything worked from almost the first bounce. The only time we looked bad was when Stevens and Brogan were off with injuries.
Umpires - 9 out of 10. Hardly noticed them. Barely paid any frees. Makes a change for the better instead of the tv magnets too many of them are.

5 Montgomery
4 Stevens
3 Burgoyne P
2 Carr
1 Burgoyne S

5 - Brogan. Had bugger all to beat but you can only play against who's there and he did a great job. Has to be the ruckman who stays with the Power when Primus comes back. Lade is probably safe from de-listing but he's down to third choice now,and could be 4th if Ackers keeps up his recent improvement.

4 - P.Burgoyne. Front, back, midfield; Burgoyne was getting the ball everywhere. Had about 2 less possessions than Stevens but was more effective.

3 - Montgomery. Had the half-back line to himself in the first half when he picked up 10 marks. Only(Only?) got 5 more in the second half but kept us going forward.

2 - Stevens. When he went down it was Oh No, not another. But unfortunately for St Kilda all it did was keep St Nick off the field long enough to allow Rob Harvey to end the match with more possessions than him.

1 - Pickett. Others certainly had more possessions but he cleared the way for other players in the forward line, kicked 3 goals and put a beautiful bump on Robert Harvey.

Others who deserve a mention were Carr-26 possessions after a great 1st quarter with 8 possessions and 2 goals. Cochrane-could have been in the votes with a strong game around half-back but for a couple of blunders for St Kilda goals. K.Cornes-took 11 marks and had 19 possessions himself .

Like Andre, I felt the umpires deserved a mention. It was back to the old days of Dessie Foster and Laurie Schofield when umpires knew their place and took pride in not being seen. And I watched the replay twice and couldn't find any missed or incorrect frees.

I thought the umpires did a good job as well although I do remember one incident in our forward line where Wanganeen was thrown to the ground and he didn't have the ball, seemed fairly obvious.

5. Monty. Wanganeenesque (say that after a few) performance with added aerial display. He seemed to be everywhere at one stage.
4. Stevens. He has stepped up, but the only worry is that the team is starting to depend on him.
3. Brogan. When he was off, St Kilda came back in.
2. Carr. had him BOG at one stage. Flew off the blocks.
1. Pickett. He did all the team things that help, plus got a few.

Very unlucky Cochrane. Very solid game again.

Coaching 8/10. Pre game plan worked. However got in a bit of strife when Brogan and Stevens were off the field.

Umpiring 9.5/10. A few minor inconsistencies, but over two hours there are bound to be some. Apart from that, they were hardly noticed again. Beautiful.

5 - Monty - back to his best and a dominating aerial display.
4 - Brogan - Dominated the rucks and around the ground to be the best big man on the park.
3 - Senior Burger - Great to see the silky smooth skills and confidence returning
2 - Carr - Great game particularly in the first half where he was the best small man on the ground.
1 - Cochrane - Who the hell is Michael Stevens..........

Unlucky were Junior Burger, Stevens (if it wasn't for the inury he would have made my best 5).

Overall a great effort all round sticking to the team game.

Coaching 9/10 - clearly out coached Thomas and besides a few concerns when Lade was in ruck won most of the mind battles (Loved the Junior Burger/Milne match up). My only real concern was that top Chocco had on after the game - love to know the story behind it.

Umpiring 9/10 - A few baffling decisions/non-decisions but probably the least impact on the game we have had so far this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw the last quarter and a bit of the Brisbane game, where Brereton and co. were harping on about the umpires not giving enough frees. Talk about different from my opinion.
They were paying the obvious ones, and letting go the others. IMO that is brilliant, the game flows and no ambiguity in interpretations. If sure of it pay it, if not sure, play on.

Originally posted by PAfolwr
I saw the last quarter and a bit of the Brisbane game, where Brereton and co. were harping on about the umpires not giving enough frees. Talk about different from my opinion.
They were paying the obvious ones, and letting go the others. IMO that is brilliant, the game flows and no ambiguity in interpretations. If sure of it pay it, if not sure, play on.

I was paying particular attention to the umpiring when I was watching that game. The free kick total was 13 late in the third quarter and I think it ended about 18. In the Port/St Kilda match they paid a total of 12. The difference I noticed was that there were a few free kicks in the Brisbane game that were let go previously; although the game was allowed to flow there was still quite an inconsistency.
At one point Dennis Cometti was commenting(not seriously) that the umpires had left themselves no room to work in as West Coast had 4 frees in the whole game the week before and 3 in the first quarter against Brisbane.

Originally posted by mic59
...The difference I noticed was that there were a few free kicks in the Brisbane game that were let go previously; although the game was allowed to flow there was still quite an inconsistency.
In the bits I saw it appeared to be quite consistent, and that is what I based my opinion on. If they are consistent all day, it gives all players a fair go.
Sounds like that was not the case for the whole match, so I take it back.

Originally posted by mic59
Was that the bluish shirt with stripy things on it? He was wearing that for "Loud Shirt Day" for the deaf society.

Actually just got off the phone to my Mum down in Adelaide and asked the same question and she mentioned something about Loud Shirt Day but that was more of a Blue Hawaiian type apparently. He wore that on the plane trip over apparently.

This was a Blue wind-cheater type thing with a yellow band around the middle that he put on just as the players started singing the song.

5. Brett Montgomery - Definitely one of Choco's favourite weapons
4. Dean Brogan - Good effort, specifically coming back onto the ground
3. Josh Carr - Best game this season, I hope he can lift some more
2. Peter Burgoyne - Cute play aside, good effort
1. Stephen `The Man' Paxman - He just keeps on going.

Coaching - 7/10 - Did the job, although I hope he wasn't taxed trying to counter Thomas, or we're in trouble.

5- Monty - First time for a while that Monty has played a blinder, was in his 2002 AA form today. Took 16 marks and also dropped two sitters!
4- Cochrane - For a tagger he got a lot of the ball and used it reasonably well, seems to bomb it long a little too much for my liking.
3- Carr - Thought he set the game up in the first quarter, faded a little but also had a good last quarter. 2 goals, plenty of touches for our other tagger.
2- Brogan - On first assesment thought he had a hady game but then looked at the stats and he had a big game. Took a lot of uncontested marks and basically had no competition in ruck today which probably cost him a vote or two.
1- P Burger - Solid game and just edged out a host of players.

Very Unlucky- Tredders & Schoey
Unlucky - Dimma & Pax.

Umpiring - Basically non-existant, a couple of dubious marks paid inside the Saints 50 were a little annoying, but at the end of the day had no impact on the game. 7.5/10.

Coaching - Whoever let Monty run free made a huge mistake on the saints side of things. Port won just about every match up, geez when on of your taggers starts to get tagged you know your having a decent game. Pax on Saint Nick was gutsy but once again the old fellow came through with the goods, Junior carved up Milne. Could have been a lot harder had the Saints have a less depleted side. 8/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back