Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

We've deliberately stacked our backline with guys who are great overhead and great with ball in hand. Burton, McKenzie, Bergman, Houston and Williams all fit this mould. The likes of Jonas, Clurey and Byrne-Jones are not in this mould. Byrne-Jones has found a new position but Jonas and Clurey are basically finished.
Great call. We have a Collingwood-like look to our backline at the moment. One key intercepting, tall pillar (Aliir) surrounded by medium-talls who read the play well, mark well overhead, have good footy IQ and kick the footy with penetration. It’s a more homogenous group of defenders who can cover each other more easily with fewer weak links. Bergman and Williams are real finds there this year. Love the look of our back 6 at the moment. A confident, in form and more decisive Burgoyne would cap it off but he’s got a way to go to return to the trajectory he was showing last year.

I saw most of the last half of last night’s game. Thought it was a tough contest throughout the match but you guys certainly deserved the win. Particularly in that last quarter when the umpiring bias was on full-visible mode, utter disgrace!

Was quite impressed with the 2 blondes - JHF and Bergman. JHF looking very much like a Dangerfield clone with similar attributes. Bergman looking solid, with his marking and composure notable in that last quarter.

The Saints are pretty well in the same position they were this time last year. As are North Melbourne. Essendon might be the example you're after.
Essendon is another example same scenario changed coaches and look what happened

I disagree that the saints are the same as last year, their start was strong but fell into pieces shortly thereafter don’t think that will happen this season given they’re playing a totally different style of game

Everyone is talking about Daddy Donuts on the bench but nobody is talking about the fact that we're 5-0 with Trent McKenzie in the team and 0-2 without Trent McKenzie in the team.
I actually thought he was shaky last night, lucky not to give more free’s away then he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not Farrell that Williams should replace. It is Jonas.

I think Farrell and Williams are similar attacking defenders with good foot skills giving drive off HB

Pasini would be a better stopping type of defender for Jonas (despite the fact Jonas is a bin fire of a footballer currently)

Literally any competent footballer on the list would do a better job tham Jonas though

What an awesome game to watch. Two teams got at it hard.
I don't think St Kilda are quite as good as their ladder positions but they are the type of team in this present form that would beat us, that is, hard contested ball. Intense Stuff.

I have a few rants.

We might have a very good midfield and it may be the main reason we have played well recently. In years gone by, we had two very good players in Wines and Boak in the midfield, a 3 time AA and a Brownlow Medalist but they are not highly impactful on the game like some other midfielders. During those times, we could easily not score in a quarter or half or get a 7 goal run on by the opposition. Now, it wasn't their fault but it just showed they didn't have the midfield craft to constantly pressure the opposition.

Well that seems to have changed. We have two out and out superstars in the midfield, a generational talent in Horne-Francis and the classy Rozee, both who are highly influential on setting up play and in the contest. Butters is a little pocket rocket which means Wines and Boak are our 4th and 5th best midfielders, not the 1st and 2nd. This gives them lesser opponents with Drew getting the tagging role. We have the top end talent in the midfield but we also have really great depth. I mean Boaky played an amazing game and seems to be rounding out form since he had the rib issue.

So we haven't been typically smashed in the midfield. Only against the Pies and they are awesome and had the umpires on their side and the last quarter against the Cows.

Our core three guys of Horne-Francis, Rozee and Butters have only paid full time in the midfield for about a year so they still have a lot to learn and they haven't had a good ruck. Can you imagine a good ruck palming the ball down to those three? That would be ridiculous.

We have been coached during the weeks and I have noticed two good improvements. The lads are tackling better. There are no free kicks given away because of the sling tackles so our technique is better. Great stuff. Also, when the umpires give a bad decision against us, we don't put our heads down. We keep on going. We seem to be quite focused in this way. We are just playing to the whistle. Very impressive.

It is good to see Hinkley who is definitely not game day coaching. There was a part in the game when he had the headset in his hand and didn't seem to know what to do with it. Also, it is good that Hinkley went in for bat for Horne-Francis last week and the umpiring this week. I would say it has been a touch late but that is a bit over the top critical. But yes, good job.

Free Kicks Port Adelaide Game 2023

Round 1 - Brisbane 12-25
Round 2 - Collingwood 15 - 34
Round 3 - Adelaide 29 - 22 - we win the free kick by 7
Round 4 - Sydney 22 - 32
Round 5 - Western Bulldogs 23 - 24
Round 6 - West Coast 23 -24
Round 7 - St Kilda 14 - 28

This is a bit of a farce. We have been killed in 4 games by the umps. 2 games are evenish. Against the Cows, we got the good rub of the green. We could actually be a bit better of a team than we are with these free kicks counts.

The Game

Horne-Francis - awesome and so good he got a lot of close treatment later in the game. The clearances are great. His power is like that of Thor. He will start to clunk more marks and when he puts on more muscle and gets some air in the tyres, he will become a beast, if he is not already. He will also start to get more respect from the umps and get more free kicks. His kicking is awesome but during this game he wanted to kick lasers when he didn't need to.

Rozee - good considering the tag. He is always working in the game to add value. Very good game and hopefully he starts to break the tag. And was Horne-Francis tagged in the second half. He also had 8 tackles. Not as infulential as usual but still working his butt off.

Butters - really good and talk about value added. He is always doing the dirty work but also assisting. He is kinda like a point guard, like John Stockton, dishing it out, with hand, foot and mouth. His games are under the radar but he is so good.

Boak - amazing game. I have a feeling his ribs have been bothering him and so it is kinda behind him and we have the OG Boak. He missed that shot. Boaky, you go on about your professionalism. You are known for it. PLEASE WORK ON YOUR SET SHOT. Apart from that, fantastic game.

Wines - around the area. Not a bag game. Not a great game. Still in it though. I was thinking that it might be hard for him and his pride may have taken a hit because he is down the chart of the midfield when he won a Brownlow only a couple of years ago. If he has knee problems, I hope they come good and he gets back to 40 possies a game.

Drew - a more typical Drew game but did have some impact by foot. Some nice kicks into the F50.

Teakle - I thought he was OK. I will say this. He is better than the old, injured Lycett. He is young and might clunk a few marks and get better. At the moment, he does some good things. I don't think we have any other options.

Dixon - great game. He played on one foot and a big heart. A real Port Adelaide game of sacrifice. Hopefully his body pulls up. Was in just about everything when it came to goals.

Lord - young and not influential but trying

Rioli - tackled and had some good pressure acts. A couple of goals. It is just exciting to see him play when he is on. Who doesn't love watching him sell some candy and drill a goal. He just has too much potential.

McEntee - decent game, kicked a goal but struggles big time in the air.

Byrne-Jones - he is playing well in the forward line. He seems to be over qualified for what he is doing and so yeah, he is playing well and I'm sure will have a super impressive game some time soon. I like him up front. Gives us a bit of class there.

Powell-Pepper - how can you not love this guy. The Wrecking Ball. Did what SPP does and when he seems to get a bit angry, watch out.

Finlayson - very very good game and spectacular down back in the last quarter.

Houston - brilliant game. High tackle count and some beautiful kicking running through the centre.

Bergman - awesome game. He plays down back and then up the ground a bit. He's overqualified for the 3rd tall but he is just great. His marking will improve too. He was pretty darn good in the last quarter. I am a bit worried he hasn't signed a contract with us. It is getting to the point where I want to know who he followed when he was young to see what we could get for him. I really want him to stay as he could be another Horne-Francis type of player in the midfield.

Aliir - like a few other down back, a bit fumbly but a really good game.

McKenzie - another solid game. He is quietly have a really good year.

Williams - very good down back with 1 on 1 stuff and also has very good decision making and can kick a superb ball that sets up goal opportunities. What a great find this year. If he keeps it up, he will be back on the main list.

Burton - a very good game as well. He has a very nice kick too. Just playing really well.

Burgoyne - a bit fumbly but he was OK for a youngun.

Bonner - OK

Duursma - he's been a touch down recently and was looking at a good game but yeah, he got injured.

Given we had a few young guys in the team like Burgoyne, Teakle, Lord and McEntee, we have a lot of improvement to do. And there are a few other positions that could be upgraded like Bonner and possibly even Drew.

We are desperate for a good ruckmen to complement our midfield. I would take a crack in the mid-season draft.

Among the shambolic umpiring performance what really fired me up in the last quarter especially was the continual holding and blocking of our key forwards. Not one free kick. There was a blocking free paid but guess who to?

And that centre bounce infringement against Finlayson when the umpire bounced the ball straight to the Saints ruck, I mean WTF?

And they pay 50 for dissent. Our players would need therapy having to keep the rage inside.

The constant psychological attack on the playing group by the umpiring fraternity would take an edge off our performance over time as the players start to second guess themselves and go into their shell whilst the opposition gets away with more. Make no mistake about it.

Top of the ladder.

Friday night footy.

Playing another Top 8 team.

54% of the stadium empty.
Can't believe it, just looked it up. 25k for prime time slot, sitting top of the table, with a huge clash on the cards, in the perfect indoor stadium to protect from the elements.

A seriously, seriously poor crowd. It's hard to believe there's clubs like that out there, that pull those sorts of numbers even in their most exciting times, and yet we're regularly given crap about our 35-40k crowds.

Really wish that the AFL had some balls and moved a club to Tassie.

We've deliberately stacked our backline with guys who are great overhead and great with ball in hand. Burton, McKenzie, Bergman, Houston and Williams all fit this mould. The likes of Jonas, Clurey and Byrne-Jones are not in this mould. Byrne-Jones has found a new position but Jonas and Clurey are basically finished.
Its funny how DBJ’s kicking has improved doing the hardest kick in the comp, inside fwd 50

I'm not a good video editor, but I thought I'd go back and grab some clips of Teakles absolutely horrendous night. Got 2 minutes in, already saw him do one of those terrible run under an uncontested mark moments and drop another mark. So I gave up. Honestly, it'll be a 10 min video of all the s**t moments from him if I actually finished it. Would take all day.

Ridiculous he is playing 1st ruck, even more ridiculous that we persisted with him after last week. Must be dropped this week, should never come back.

I'm not a good video editor, but I thought I'd go back and grab some clips of Teakles absolutely horrendous night. Got 2 minutes in, already saw him do one of those terrible run under an uncontested mark moments and drop another mark. So I gave up. Honestly, it'll be a 10 min video of all the s**t moments from him if I actually finished it. Would take all day.

Ridiculous he is playing 1st ruck, even more ridiculous that we persisted with him after last week. Must be dropped this week, should never come back.

It's so frustrating when we have a young gun in Hayes that we just refuse to play. For all the traffic cone comments about Hayes, he averages 3 less possessions than Teakle at AFL level. The Hitouts and more importantly hitouts to advantage are not anywhere near as close. Hayes to JHF could really be a thing. Would scare the he'll out of opposition midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back