Review Port defeat Umpires + Saints by 7 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep I will admit I was wrong about Williams, really thought he would never make it. But he is so solid down back and makes every kick count.
There was a point on Friday where I realised he was taking repeated kickouts and I thought 'Wow!'. Serious upgrade in status with the coach/team within 2 weeks.

What a spectacular Saturday nights football action we have bestowed upon us.
Both Saturday night games were appalling, Christians v lions in the Coliseum would have been more even. My wife was pleased as after 20 minutes or so of chopping between them I gave up and we watched recordings of House Of Games.

Teakles shortcomings are things like he drops marks and fumbles, which theoretically can be improved upon and will get better as he plays more games. He has only played like 4 games of AFL football, as a ruckman, and people are writing him off... It's just dumb.

He can clunk the ball and is a decent kick, we've seen that at SANFL level and in short snippets in the AFL. Hopefully he can build up some consistency.

Comparatively, Hayes just can't run. They've worked with him for years to build up his running and he hasn't got there. AFL ruckman need to have a presence around the ground these days. That's why Lycett is on the way out. And without the capacity to run Hayes will not be able to do that for us as well.

The mistake with Hayes was holding on to him for this long, but equally it would be just as big a mistake to dump more time in him if he isn't going to be the guy. It's a sunk cost. Focussing on Teakle is the right move from this position forward.

And if after 20-30 games Teakle still isn't the guy then move onto the next option and so on.

It's very similar to how QBs are treated in the NFL. Give them some time to sink or swim and then rotate on to the next option if it isn't working out.
This is the perfect analysis of Teakle v Hayes as of today. Really no-one needs to dig in for either, it's natural selection in action and the balance can be tipped weekly.

It’s (umpiring) every single game…
Well after 7 rounds the club is saying publicly that we have a problem with the way umpiring decisions affect us. And of course not every single game but on aggregate.
Hinkley said it in his press conference, in the diplomatic way this has to be said. The way he phrased it was something like the club needed to seek advice on what our players are doing wrong i.e. why are we getting so many bogus frees against us. But behind the scenes they'll also be asking why are we missing out on some of the really obvious frees due to us.

Our defence looked vulnerable at the start of the season. It looks much better now with the addition of Bergman and Williams. Good positional moves.
Agreed, but I suspect Jonas will be reinstated for next week's game (hopefully not), and if he is and there isn't a similar plodder type for him to match up on which is probably unlikely, there has to unfortunately be a strong possibility the defence as a unit could revert to that previous vulnerability.

Agreed, but I suspect Jonas will be reinstated for next week's game (hopefully not), and if he is and there isn't a similar plodder type for him to match up on which is probably unlikely, there has to unfortunately be a strong possibility the defence as a unit could revert to that previous vulnerability.
It’s a shame that Hinkley will keep picking him if fit/not suspended. I don’t think the club tried to challenge Jonas’ one game ban. Maybe a sign that they were quietly happy for him to miss an important game

Well after 7 rounds the club is saying publicly that we have a problem with the way umpiring decisions affect us. And of course not every single game but on aggregate.
Hinkley said it in his press conference, in the diplomatic way this has to be said. The way he phrased it was something like the club needed to seek advice on what our players are doing wrong i.e. why are we getting so many bogus frees against us. But behind the scenes they'll also be asking why are we missing out on some of the really obvious frees due to us.

Umpiring is random. Footy is really bad officiated. It’s ridiculous.

Anyone feeling a bit depressed should take a gander at the Norf game day thread.
To say there not happy campers is a understatement😂
Never had a beef with that club until this whole JHF saga. Now they can get f$$ked and die a slow irrelevant death on their way to Tasmania

Umpiring is random. Footy is really bad officiated. It’s ridiculous.
Too many rules (holding the ball, incorrect disposal, deliberate OOB, kicking in danger, ruck infringements, interference in marking contests, dangerous tackles etc.) are left up to the interpretation of the umpires. It's a recipe for total inconsistency, especially with 4 umpires, and fertile ground for unconscious bias to come to the fore.

Basically, it's a crapshoot (with the dice loaded against you if you're Port).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really wish that the AFL had some balls and moved a club to Tassie.

That is what should happen. It would result in 18 teams and eliminate the bye, it would also prevent watering down the competition. The only reason it won't happen is because the Victorians have a VFL and not an AFL mentality.

Good that Tasmania is finally getting a team but not good the way it is happening.

I can understand the modern day resistance to a tap ruck, but the other options just aren't doing anything. Teakle is lost at ground level, doing nothing in the air and is literally allowing the opposition ruck to run riot. Marshall with 159 fantasy points, just crazy stuff, but it's not even just that. It's the dumb decisions he makes all the time, the constant fumbling, the just running under the ball and not impacting anything in the air constantly, which are the killer factors.

Hayes would provide a far better aerial contest and likely result in a far better clearance result given his ruck work and superior rucking ability.

No use crying over spilt milk I guess but I watched Ladhams yesterday and wish we had sorted out his reported off field issues. Yesterday Ladhams had 24 possesions with 5 marks and 34 hit outs and is developing into the best ruckman we once had on our list. Split milk I guess and we go with what we have.

It might be random in other games but it can't be random in our games when the counts are so lopsided. Ours are calculated.
They could screw us over with criteria, but that doesn’t happen either.

I hate the fact a umpire 60 metres away can call frees now half the time the decisions come 10 seconds after the actual incident..

That what pissed me off at the 50 against dix the other week it took 10 seconds like a calculated plan it happens all to often a free that will appear out of absolutely no where to halt us ..

Or a string of 4/5 frees in a row for a goal against us ..

Burton's free against for some incredible defence lol WTF..

jHF has been absolutely murdered in the htb department as soon as he touches it they call htb

And they egg on dix the umps they wait for a brain snap I was pretty happy with dix on the weekend with that smother goal for spp you were just waiting for the piss to run down the umps leg

Is the nearly two-year gap (spent toiling in the SANFL) between Williams' first AFL game and his second a compelling argument for keeping Teakle in the side now instead of dropping him back to the SANFL until he's ready?
The Saints board are bagging Marshall and how he could not hit/place the ball to their players advantage (against a raw ruckman).

There was a point on Friday where I realised he was taking repeated kickouts and I thought 'Wow!'. Serious upgrade in status with the coach/team within 2 weeks.
Sometimes the more gifted players can be a bit lazy.
He has always had the footy smarts and is a wonderfull kick.
This preseason, he hired a personal trainer in Melbourne where he and Lord had four sessions a week.

As we play so well at Marvel Stadium, is it possible to get a full roof at Adelaide Oval.

Legit. It’s baffling how much better we consistently play at certain venues versus the home digs.

So 7 games is the threshold for writing off players?

Or 25-30 as you suggested earlier?
With respect to Hayes, yes it is or was too early. I thought he should've been able to play out the season last year and in my mind I had him ahead of Teakle in the pecking order this year.

But when you have two players at a similar level of experience, as we do now, you need to make a call. Only one player can play AFL and you need to back him in.

The coaching group have gone with Teakle. They have watched him through the entire preseason. They know what his athletic capability is, they know how he has improved. They are in a good position to make that call and in this case I'm fine with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back