Toast Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL Explained

Remove this Banner Ad

Really nice moment after the Academy game with a few of the current lads getting over to Tyson Stengle, 2016 graduate, making his debut tonight with the Tigs.

Selfies. Fistbumps. Nyaww.

A double pager from the 'Tiser's SA Weekend magazine. I want to quote something from near the end of the article first as well as the opening paragraph.

Power to Learn - paper headline, If you bleed black and white, you’re in, you’re part of the family - online headline

PORT Adelaide’s connection to Indigenous communities goes beyond its strong list of talented players and into remote areas where it insists if you want to play footy, first you go to school. THE grass is still wet from overnight frost when the first bus of remote Aboriginal school students rolls up to a suburban oval in Alice Springs just after 7am. “Sorry we’re so early but we didn’t know what else to do with them,” their teacher tells the Port Adelaide staff still setting up for the day.“They’ve been awake since 4am playing a game of Uno, they’re that excited.” Some barefoot and wearing just T-shirt and shorts, they are drawn instantly to 300 pairs of new football boots forming a giant line waiting for them on the oval.
But why does Port Adelaide care so much and go to so much trouble to deliver these programs for Aboriginal people?

After all, Alice Springs and the Barkly Region is zoned to Collingwood for its multicultural academy and Collingwood officials, including its AFL women’s coach, were on hand to see the WillPower carnival. Alice Springs has a women’s football team known as the Pink Tails and Elliott School in the NT had more girls (10) than boys (5) taking part in the WillPower program. “We’ve known for years how popular football is to women and the young girls in our program as well and it’s no surprise they’re here and they love it,” Vandenbergh said. “If we can help create those pathways and interests from AFL clubs to come out here, we’ve seen Collingwood show a big interest and try to connect with their zone. “Maybe one day we’ll have our own (women’s) team in the AFL, it’s probably a while away but we think we’ve made some real inroads.”

But back to the question of why does Port Adelaide go to so much effort for people so far from its spiritual home at Alberton? “When you speak to people like Russell Ebert it just seems like it’s always been there,” Vandenbergh says of the club’s respect and care for Aboriginal people. “There is a lot of immigrants who came in off the wharf and they just connected so there was always this open feel that if you bleed black and white, you’re in, you’re part of the family. “Malcolm Cooper was one of the first Aboriginal people to play league footy back in 1955, it just grew and there have been some real greats come through.”

Vandenbergh admits that days like this in Alice Springs and going bush to places like Mungkarta, does make him emotional. “I’m in a dream job, I’m thankful the board and people like (chief executive) Keith Thomas are really supportive in this space,” Vandenbergh said. “I do find myself getting emotional on road trips, especially when you see people like Mungkarta who are just up and about, they each did a poster for us and those little things just make a real difference for me. “But more than anything it just makes me really proud.”
Power to Learn

From the story - you gotta love the colours of the guernsies

ff2fb0d26e0576897e5f751b623bb341

5fc441805a1de763a24ea61d4b2573be

69bcd6d6a1f5f9c30c32e6fbecbfee74

Peter Burgoyne's involvement
Wanganeen, a Brownlow Medallist and two-time AFL premiership player, is one of several retired Port Adelaide Indigenous stars who have come back to the club to help deliver its Indigenous community programs. Two others are Peter Burgoyne and Byron Pickett, and all three played in Port’s first and only AFL premiership in 2004.

Burgoyne retired after 240 games in 2010 and until 18 months ago never had any reason to go back to Alberton. Nor did he really want to. When he walked away from the game seven years ago he had had enough. “I started playing footy at Port Adelaide when I was 16 and that was my whole life until I was 31,” he said. “When I retired I was pretty much done with footy. I didn’t want anything to do with it and I stayed away.“Towards the end (brother) Shaun was moving on (to Hawthorn), and I was pretty much shot mentally. I had played in a flag and that’s all that mattered, and I was done mentally and physically.”

But he stayed in touch with Vandenbergh, who would check in every so often to see if he was interested in coming back to help out.While many football stars stay involved in the game as a coach or media personality, the only reason Burgoyne agreed to come back was so he could do trips like this to Alice Springs and stand around in the midday sun umpiring games of footy and handing out sandwiches and fruit for lunch.

“This is what I like doing, this sort of stuff (pointing to the kids running around on the oval), this is my passion, getting out here in the bush and the communities to see the kids who don’t really get the opportunities,” said Burgoyne, who at 39 still looks fit enough to play. “Coming from Port Lincoln and Darwin where you don’t get too many opportunities, it’s sort of similar. I was their age too, once upon a time, and these kids coming from out in the bush, some of them drove four, five, six hours to get here.
“I love all of it, them getting the boots, having fun, getting out of the communities for a bit and coming into town and participating, which is the main thing.”

And he has 3 sons, the oldest if good enough will be on the radar in the next couple of years.
The other thing that has brought Burgoyne back to football are his three boys aged 15, 13 and 10 who play at Port Districts and while they’re zoned to the Eagles and not the Magpies in the SANFL, Power fans can rest assured they qualify for the AFL’s father/son rule if they’re good enough.

And the corporates like it

Standing behind the goals waving two flags and keeping score for one of the games in Alice Springs was Greg Columbus, managing director of Clarke Energy, which is a major backer of the WillPower program. Clarke Energy was last year awarded a $90 million contract with Territory Generation to build two new power stations to supply the township of Alice Springs.

As part of its corporate responsibility charter it has made a three-year commitment to helping fund Port Adelaide’s WillPower program and staff have come to see it with their own eyes. “It has been an eye-opener, we’ve worked with the club leading up to this and thought we understood it, but each day we are still surprised at how much heavy lifting they do behind the scenes and how much that costs to do,” Columbus says. “To see the turnout, and looks on the kids’ faces and be part of the journey, we’re pretty excited about it.”

and you need corporate support, there's a fair bit of travelling involved.

Port Adelaide’s Indigenous work goes well beyond just the WillPower program, which is modelled on the Aboriginal Power Cup held in Adelaide every year. Last year, Vandenbergh’s team travelled 62,000km on the road to visit remote communities and earlier this year went to Munkarta, a school of just 12 students in the Barkly Region who greeted the travelling party with paintings. “They painted their classroom door with ‘WillPower’ and had Port Adelaide logos on it,” Vandenbergh says. “They were so appreciative when we walked in there.”

RussellEbertHandball said:
Standing behind the goals waving two flags and keeping score for one of the games in Alice Springs was Greg Columbus, managing director of Clarke Energy, which is a major backer of the WillPower program. Clarke Energy was last year awarded a $90 million contract with Territory Generation to build two new power stations to supply the township of Alice Springs.

I was involved in the fitout of the switchrooms for this. Nice to see the work supported the club indirectly :p

We are expnding the programs again. Paul V will be happy. It involves constructing a building for accommodation and delivering programs. Its a $4mil grant from the feds but we will have to raise additional funds to complete it.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-07-20/aboriginal-leadership-centre-plan-launched
PORT ADELAIDE has launched a bold plan to establish a state-of-the-art Centre for Aboriginal Excellence and Leadership. It comes on the back of a $4 million grant to start the project from the Australian Government as part of its 1967 Referendum 50th Anniversary Indigenous Education Package. The grant funding to Power Community Ltd, the independent community development organisation of the Port Adelaide Football Club, will help build a revolutionary complex to provide:

 Short and long-term accommodation for Aboriginal students
 Arts and cultural spaces to teach and raise awareness of Aboriginal culture
 Dedicated education programs tailored to suit the learning needs of each student
 Health, wellness and recreation facilities for lifestyle programs and practical learning
 Café and kitchen for commercial training and patronage
 Office facilities for education partners to integrate and support the Centre’s deliverable outcomes.
Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas said the construction of a dedicated space for Aboriginal education programs is an objective of Port Adelaide’s most recent Reconciliation Action Plan.

“This is an exciting announcement that allows us to continue our vision to make our community proud through innovation and investment in Aboriginal leadership and learning," he said.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-07-20/aboriginal-leadership-centre-plan-launched

KT's thoughts
“Port Adelaide strives to provide young Aboriginal people with the skills and knowledge they need to make a successful transition from school life into further education and the workforce. “It will provide Power Community Ltd a dedicated space to deliver our industry-leading Aboriginal programs in a state-of-the-art environment, and to help foster reconciliation through providing cultural awareness education in the wider community. “It’s an exciting time for Port Adelaide, with our international aspirations matched by our vision to build strong and cohesive communities in our heartland. “I thank the Australian Government for this tremendous vote of confidence in our plans and vision. “We will continue to search for the additional funding required to support this important project.”
Indigenous Affairs Minister Scullion confirming its a $4mil grant
Commonwealth Minister for Indigenous Affairs Nigel Scullion echoed Thomas' comments. “I am pleased to be partnering with Port Adelaide Football Club to provide $4 million to establish a facility that will deliver residential and education support for young Indigenous Australians," Minister Scullion said. "I am backing in the Port Adelaide Football Club because of its strong track record and partnership with Aboriginal communities across South Australia.”

Last edited:
We are expnding the programs again. Paul V will be happy. It involves constructing a building for accommodation and delivering programs. Its a $4mil grant from the feds but we will have to raise additional funds to complete it.

PORT ADELAIDE has launched a bold plan to establish a state-of-the-art Centre for Aboriginal Excellence and Leadership. It comes on the back of a $4 million grant to start the project from the Australian Government as part of its 1967 Referendum 50th Anniversary Indigenous Education Package. The grant funding to Power Community Ltd, the independent community development organisation of the Port Adelaide Football Club, will help build a revolutionary complex to provide:

 Dedicated education programs tailored to suit the learning needs of each student
 Health, wellness and recreation facilities for lifestyle programs and practical learning
 Office facilities for education partners to integrate and support the Centre’s deliverable outcomes.
Port Adelaide CEO Keith Thomas said the construction of a dedicated space for Aboriginal education programs is an objective of Port Adelaide’s most recent Reconciliation Action Plan.

“This is an exciting announcement that allows us to continue our vision to make our community proud through innovation and investment in Aboriginal leadership and learning," he said.

KT's thoughts

Port Adelaide Football Club - Leading Edge of the Community.

OK the on-field brigade ... we keep upping the ante off-field ... now the onus is on you lot to keep up.

That's awesome . It looks like they've based it on the Cape York one in Cairns where it's basically like a boarding school where suitable kids from around the Cape get to stay at AFL house ( as they call it ) go to school and get intensive football support .
If we aren't a destination club for aboriginal players already we certainly will be soon which will be great for recruiting and attracting sponsorship

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's awesome . It looks like they've based it on the Cape York one in Cairns where it's basically like a boarding school where suitable kids from around the Cape get to stay at AFL house ( as they call it ) go to school and get intensive football support .
If we aren't a destination club for aboriginal players already we certainly will be soon which will be great for recruiting and attracting sponsorship
Do you have any info on the Cape York one DO? This looks like it might be not just for kids who are going to attached footy to schooling and other programs. KT apparently said in the presser they have to find where to build it so it might not be an auto integration with footy and Alberton oval precinct. But as we have a helping find work program which we launched last year, so depending on how much extra is raised, this could be used to give apprenticeships to young indigenous kids to help construct this centre - sort of an Aboriginal Construction Company - something I discussed with Lockhart Road in some depth in Shanghai.

The Powerful Futures program was what I was thinking of in my last post re potential apprenticeships to held build this new facility and I'm intrigued by the following component of the grant;

that provides training, potential jobs and potential new revenue streams to help fund the program into the future after its set up.

You can read more about the Powerful Futures programs at
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/community/programs/powerful-futures

When it was launched February last year it was made clear its for indigenous kids + those who go thru the clubs empowering youth programs which work with schools both in metro Adelaide and the rest of the state.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...r-launches-new-initiative-at-government-house
Port Adelaide has launched Powerful Futures, a brand new initiative working in conjunction with its community partners to provide a pool of 100 work opportunities to graduates of its Aboriginal Power Cup and Empowering Youth programs.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...r-launches-new-initiative-at-government-house

Do you have any info on the Cape York one DO? This looks like it might be not just for kids who are going to attached footy to schooling and other programs. KT apparently said in the presser they have to find where to build it so it might not be an auto integration with footy and Alberton oval precinct. But as we have a helping find work program which we launched last year, so depending on how much extra is raised, this could be used to give apprenticeships to young indigenous kids to help construct this centre - sort of an Aboriginal Construction Company - something I discussed with Lockhart Road in some depth in Shanghai.
No I don't know a great deal about the Cape York one , I applied for a job there as a house parent when I was living in Cairns , I thought I'd be good because my wife is aboriginal so I'm used to the culture and because I'd had two years at Mallee Park working with the u/17's and done well but I missed out on a job .
I think the boys were farmed out to different local clubs to play their footy .
I summise its a bit like the Power academy now but it's a live in full time thing for country kids .

The only thing you conducted 'in some depth' with me in Shanghai was the search for your bloody lost hat.

The only thing you conducted 'in some depth' with me in Shanghai was the search for your bloody lost hat.
:D But after we found it, we had a long stint at the bar at the Portman Ritz.

:D But after we found it, we had a long stint at the bar at the Portman Ritz.
What's this 'we' business. I found your damn hat, which had been rescued from extinction by Jodie Fiacchi and was on the verge of being catalogued for auction, proceeds to go to charitable institutions, one of whom was me.

And you almost lost your backpack when you met me - and we were just sitting at Charms. You need a minder next time.
He had a minder. He never actually lost anything, try as he might.

Just for background note the Wiltja Secondary College programme running from Woodville High. Years ago they used to place kids in club Aussie Rules games around the western region - and may still do.
They had 5-6 kids turning up each Sunday at the club where my boys played and I have to say none of us parents really understood what was going on then. I misunderstood it as the Wiltshire Programme and thought none of these boys look looked like they were from Wiltshire.

KT's thoughts

16 to 18 million dollar project and PAFC the only AFL club that KT is aware is doing something of this kind. hopefully he can get those sponsors onboard. Such an incredible ambitious project. Bloody proud of this club and how authentic it is about wanting to make a difference in the community.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/vi...ral-grant-for-port-adelaide-football-club-ptv

Port Adelaide's compassion and genuine respect for Aboriginal people is the prime reason I changed from a Crows and Glenelg supporter to Port Adelaide. Not saying that both Crows and Glenelg werent welcoming but it seems to be both part of Ports DNA and mission.
So proud of our club. So thankful for our awesome indigenous community who make our clubs culture even richer!

Port Adelaide's compassion and genuine respect for Aboriginal people is the prime reason I changed from a Crows and Glenelg supporter to Port Adelaide. Not saying that both Crows and Glenelg werent welcoming but it seems to be both part of Ports DNA and mission.
So proud of our club. So thankful for our awesome indigenous community who make our clubs culture even richer!

Welcome to the darkside BTW. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back