Toast Power Aboriginal programs - Why 'Community'? PCL Explained

Remove this Banner Ad

Another sponsor - University of Adelaide - comes on board for our community programs. I know the crows have tried to do stuff with the Uni in general ( rather than their indigenous programs) since having an agreement with the Uni footy club.

University of Adelaide joins Aboriginal AFL Academy in new partnership
POWER Community Limited's Aboriginal AFL Academy program has signed a three-year partnership with prominent tertiary education provider the University of Adelaide.
The main goal of Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal AFL Academy - to provide Indigenous youth with a pathway to tertiary education – is now even smoother after announcing a three-year partnership with the University. The University’s Dean of Indigenous Research and Education Strategy, Professor Shane Hearn, says the partnership is another tool to help close the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. “We will be supporting the next generation of young Indigenous leaders within the Aboriginal AFL Academy to consider a university education,” Professor Hearn said. “We were interested in a model that was about future-proofing, building the assets of young people and making it relevant throughout their life. “Young Aboriginal people have the same aspirations as non-Aboriginal people when it comes to career and achievement, but their challenges can be quite different and sometimes harder. They often don’t know what options are available to them. “We will show them how they can access university, what the pathways are and the support they can expect.”

Port Adelaide’s Director of Aboriginal Programs Paul Vandenbergh was thrilled the academy was able to attract such a high-profile university partnership. “We are really fortunate to have the Department of Education come on board (as a sponsor) to support our vision,” Vandenbergh said. “We firmly believe in partnerships, and that’s why we are excited about the partnership with the University of Adelaide. “If we can get every Indigenous student who wants to study into tertiary education, then there is no gap.” The University’s participation in the partnership will operate through its Wirltu Yarlu Aboriginal Education Unit. Wirltu Yarlu is responsible for recruiting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to foundation and degree programs, administers special entry access schemes and provides support services to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island students at the University.......
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-10-18/ports-aboriginal-afl-academy-signs-new-partner

Adelaide Uni statement
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news95642.html
The University of Adelaide today signed a three-year agreement with Port Adelaide Football Club’s community organisation, Power Community Limited, to support Aboriginal youth education. The University has become a major partner with the Club’s Aboriginal AFL Academy Program. Over the next three years, the University will be working alongside the Club to encourage and support young Indigenous people to find pathways into university education.

“This is a big step for the University of Adelaide; it will not only increase our profile within the Aboriginal community but help us contribute towards closing the gap,” says Professor Shane Hearn, Dean of Indigenous Research and Education Strategy at the University of Adelaide.

“Over the next three years, we will be supporting the next generation of young Indigenous leaders within the Aboriginal AFL Academy to consider a university education; we will show them how they can access university, what the pathways are and the support they can expect. “Young Aboriginal people have the same aspirations as non-Aboriginal people when it comes to career and achievement, but their challenges can be quite different and sometimes harder. They often don’t know what options are available to them.

So the Federal government have allowed us to use the coat of arms with stuff we do with our indigenous programs and they are providing financial support. That's gotta be a first. And is the red stripe the start of something new?

upload_2017-10-23_14-17-3.png

Last edited:

Adelaide Uni statement
The University of Adelaide today signed a three-year agreement with Port Adelaide Football Club’s community organisation, Power Community Limited, to support Aboriginal youth education. The University has become a major partner with the Club’s Aboriginal AFL Academy Program. Over the next three years, the University will be working alongside the Club to encourage and support young Indigenous people to find pathways into university education.

“This is a big step for the University of Adelaide; it will not only increase our profile within the Aboriginal community but help us contribute towards closing the gap,” says Professor Shane Hearn, Dean of Indigenous Research and Education Strategy at the University of Adelaide.

“Over the next three years, we will be supporting the next generation of young Indigenous leaders within the Aboriginal AFL Academy to consider a university education; we will show them how they can access university, what the pathways are and the support they can expect. “Young Aboriginal people have the same aspirations as non-Aboriginal people when it comes to career and achievement, but their challenges can be quite different and sometimes harder. They often don’t know what options are available to them.

So the Federal government have allowed us to use the coat of arms with stuff we do with our indigenous programs and they are providing financial support. That's gotta be a first. And is the red strip the start of something new?

View attachment 431144
nice

Good to see the club getting Steven Motlop working already....

I will stick this in here as Pauly V drove this and Latia's brother Elijah played for the Aboriginal academy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to talk about skilled people like Darren Burgess or star recruits and what they bring to the table but it is people like Paul Vandenbergh that establish a culture and environment that players want to be part of and Aboriginal players feel safe working in. To casual fans or observers of the game, he is relative unknown outside of the stories and articles that the club generates but to people in the AFL community, this man is the envy of the other 17 clubs. Easily one of Port Adelaide's finest assets and in doubt held in very high regard at Brougham Place.

It's easy to talk about skilled people like Darren Burgess or star recruits and what they bring to the table but it is people like Paul Vandenbergh that establish a culture and environment that players want to be part of and Aboriginal players feel safe working in. To casual fans or observers of the game, he is relative unknown outside of the stories and articles that the club generates but to people in the AFL community, this man is the envy of the other 17 clubs. Easily one of Port Adelaide's finest assets and in doubt held in very high regard at Brougham Place.
So right. Uncle Pauly is a truly humble crusader, totally unaware that he is a crusader. He is the jewel in the off-field crown of the Club. A marvel of a man.

The key is moving toward ending any difference in being Australian or being Aboriginal. It is most probably a task that will never be completely accomplished, but it still is the road that must be taken. It is the way to go. Good to see Port leading such an effort!

Why Community? Lockhart Road asked when he started this thread back in August 2014. The great thing about our club is that it is more than just teaching the players how to kick and catch a piece of dead animal, as via all the community programs we have, plus we now take kids as 18 year olds and have to educate them for life as we are taking some of them thousands of kilometres from their families.

Herb Elliot summed it up for me when I watched him in the fantastic 3 part doco series by the late great John Clarke called Sporting Nation and released a few weeks before 2012 London Olympics.

"Percy Cerutty told me the first time I met him, well, what you're asking me to do is trivial. You're asking me to help you to run in circles and to come back to where you started and to do it faster than anyone else.' That's only worthwhile if it's about more than that, if it's about self-knowledge and becoming a better person."

''I had a wonderful coach in Percy Cerutty, and his philosophy was the backbone of my performance, It may sound strange but there's a pyramid of motivation, and the purest motivation is 'I'm going to do this as hard as I possibly can because it's going to make me a better person'.

"And beating other people, really? When you analyse it, you run around in circles four times and you do it faster than the next bloke. Who cares? What value is that to anybody, really? There was no money in it those days, so cash wasn't a motive. The motive was this: My weaknesses are going to be challenged all the time as I try to improve myself, and I mustn't give in otherwise I'm a lesser human being. That takes you through all the ups and downs to victory - if you keep doing it."

Above is an example why the great coaches are great, its about a lot more than just sport for them and therefore their pupils. Great clubs do that as well for the team sports. The players learn lessons for the rest of their lives. That's what our community programs are teaching our players, life lessons.

Why Community? Lockhart Road asked when he started this thread back in August 2014. The great thing about our club is that it is more than just teaching the players how to kick and catch a piece of dead animal, as via all the community programs we have, plus we now take kids as 18 year olds and have to educate them for life as we are taking some of them thousands of kilometres from their families.

Herb Elliot summed it up for me when I watched him in the fantastic 3 part doco series by the late great John Clarke called Sporting Nation and released a few weeks before 2012 London Olympics.

"Percy Cerutty told me the first time I met him, well, what you're asking me to do is trivial. You're asking me to help you to run in circles and to come back to where you started and to do it faster than anyone else.' That's only worthwhile if it's about more than that, if it's about self-knowledge and becoming a better person."

''I had a wonderful coach in Percy Cerutty, and his philosophy was the backbone of my performance, It may sound strange but there's a pyramid of motivation, and the purest motivation is 'I'm going to do this as hard as I possibly can because it's going to make me a better person'.

"And beating other people, really? When you analyse it, you run around in circles four times and you do it faster than the next bloke. Who cares? What value is that to anybody, really? There was no money in it those days, so cash wasn't a motive. The motive was this: My weaknesses are going to be challenged all the time as I try to improve myself, and I mustn't give in otherwise I'm a lesser human being. That takes you through all the ups and downs to victory - if you keep doing it."

Above is an example why the great coaches are great, its about a lot more than just sport for them and therefore their pupils. Great clubs do that as well for the team sports. The players learn lessons for the rest of their lives. That's what our community programs are teaching our players, life lessons.

Why Community?

It's why Dom Barry walked out on Melbourne to return to the APY lands of his birth and why he's ticking all the boxes on the rejuvenation of his career.

Why Community?

It's why Dom Barry walked out on Melbourne to return to the APY lands of his birth and why he's ticking all the boxes on the rejuvenation of his career.
I would also like to add: having been born and bred from the country all sport in the country town is community based/focused. I don't see PAFC any different as it's DNA is community focused which is REAL , almost an intangible thing, and something that cannot be manufactured. Other AFL clubs can talk about it but IMHO they simply don't have it.

I urge people to have a good look at the 48 page Power Community Limited Prospectus that was linked in Ross Wait's tweet - the GM Power Community Limited.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL ...on Booklet.pdf?camefrom=EMCL_2138793_90202802

Quoting Nelson in page 6 warms the heart.

"Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire, it has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to young people in a language they can understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair." Nelson Mandela

Remove this Banner Ad

Back