Game Day Practice Game 2024 - Roos v Saints - Moorabin- 2pm ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the match.

Maybe it's because I didn't watch live and knew the result and the way in which the game would pan out, but I am ultra optimistic after that.

Firstly, I went to the first praccy match at la Trobe when it was blowing a gale. If you told me that we'd go from that showing to playing the saints at home with a massive wind (which we didn't get advantage from early) and running them close I'd be surprised.

The only negative for me is that were didn't win! Infront half way through the last qrt, playing better than them and we let a great opportunity slip for a "nourishing" win.

That said, first qrt we didn't take anywhere near as much advantage from the wind as we should. Second qrt wasn't as bad as I thought. Sure we looked like breaking down but we kept at it and made some headway. Third qrt we dominated, and the last qrt I would say we outplayed them overall given the wind advantage. It was certainly a massive difference between qrts 2 and 4.

As I said in the Phillips thread, it was a rebound game for us, and them mostly except when they went into the wind in the third. So midfield numbers were down for us and them. I was happy enough with all ldu, Phillips,wardlaw, powell and lazz. The big standout statistically was the centre square difference, but I think it was one of those days where we had front position/advantage in the clearance, but were harassed to loose the chance and they'd win it getting to the footy second. Sometimes that happens.

I was very happy with our defenders. Sure conditions didn't suit King and the other talls, but the group worked well together. I'd agree Biggie was the last of the 3 talls, with Dawson a standout. Other than that first free to king he looked very assured. I would think Dawson and Pink are locks for round 1. And if Corr and Comben aren't ready Biggie might well play as well. That said, Goater was fantastic and that was easily his best senior game. His aerial ability is really coming on, so they might just use him as the third tall.

Have to mention Zac Fisher, a career high 36 disposals in your first full game for the club. But it wasn't just his touches but his run, his competing, his enthusiasm. Wow is all I can say.

Stephens also very good. He's only had 20 plus touches 5 out of his 43 games to date. He's had over 20 in the last 2 games for us against opposition and he knocked up getting the footy in the intra clubs.

Scott and tucker will be better for the run. McKercher was solid, made a couple of blues and the wind played havoc with his ball drop at times, but he's got a bit of grunt about him and he looked very promising.

Xerri was very good again. His improvement might be accelerating. He's taken care of Cameron/Cox and now Marshall.

Dursma was a real surprise packet. Definitely plays round 1 based on that.

CCJ - so im not a fan, and reading the hate that came through on the game day thread I thought he must have had a shocker. To be honest I thought he was his normal self. He showed little co ordination, awareness, ability to create a contest, ability to win a contest. He's like that every week. He must be deaf because he can't hear the umps standing next to him yelling. Comben plays his role and we are 2 goals better easily imo. I'd almost consider bringing Ford in, and let Biggie support X in the ruck.

The umpiring. I'm half way through the second qrt and I'm thinking, what is everyone talking about. Yeah there were some dodgy calls on marks for dursma but it hasn't been poor? Then they just stopped paying holding the ball to north. There were several real dodgy ones that were so obviously a free kick that I gasped when they weren't paid. I think there were 3 to Phillips and a couple to Wardlaw. A last qrt non mark to zuhaar was the icing on the cake.

End of the day. If that is our base line this year, we win 10 games imo.
I loved how Zac went straight up to Jy after getting involved in the the melee and while it was still going on. To come from another club and show that kind of care to someone you barely know is outstanding.

Last edited:
Webster tackle was horrible and should be punished. Family comments were very poor taste. Cannot approve of the Hun going through online profiles to publish where the sister works. Dickish behaviour all round.

-CCJ is a donkey. Greenwood must play centre half forward, otherwise put Comben up there again. It can’t be CCJ.

I've been on the side of giving CJ time, but I agree now. Play him in the VFL from now on and play Hugh as a small backup ruck. Heck, give Goad a crack ahead of CJ, can't be much worse.

I've been on the side of giving CJ time, but I agree now. Play him in the VFL from now on and play Hugh as a small backup ruck. Heck, give Goad a crack ahead of CJ, can't be much worse.

The small amount of time in the ruck is probably the least of his worries.

It’s him stinking up the forward line that kills us.

If the AFL has taught him anything, the years of going to night clubs, TT doesn't line up or pay to get in.

I have it on very good authority that Tarryn loves paying for lines.

A lot of good signs from today....had no idea how good that skinny kid Duursma is,,,,wow. Kerch I reckon could well be the fastest player in the comp. My main take away from today is these kids are not going to be bullied. There is some really (good) physical mongrel in there. X physically monstered Marshall, Wardlaw doesn't take a backward step, and while quiet, Curtis made his presence felt too. To me feels like they are gelling, taking pride in themselves and the club, and thats the shinboner spirit coming through for the first time in a while I reckon.
Which is why I was quite happy to see a few skirmishes. We have taken to much s**t for too long. Xerri has a licence to throw his weight around. If that has a cost or two so be it.
I hear ya.
Until yesterday I thought we’d win 7 games this year, but now I think we could win 9.
Against whom please ?

Against whom please ?
I'm so glad you asked.

We play Gold Coast, Hawthorn, and West Coast twice. That's six winnable games right there.

The games against Freo, Essendon and Richmond - who I reckon will all be around the bottom third of the ladder - are all in the winnable category too. That's 9.

I reckon we'll lose just a few of those.

And then we'll get some surprise wins against the likes of the Saints and Swans.

Why the * would he be there?
I stayed for the VFL practise game. Whether he just turned up for the VFL practice match I’m not sure but as most of the crowd left after the AFL boys finished I saw him standing with two other guys ( non footy players )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It really boggles the mind how bad the Saints were at managing basic logistics today.

The entry gates were a shamozzle.
The lines for food and drink were obscene.
Staff didn't know basic information - I was looking for toilets and asked multiple RSEA staff and no one knew where they were??
There was no area setup for people with a disability that would ensure they could actually see the game.
I didn't see anywhere to fill up a bottle of water.

Just basic s**t when it comes to hosting a crowd... It was so bad.
Reckon a stand alone game on a Sunday at the end of summer isn't great fixturing.
This should have been at Princes Park or Marvel.
Or play it on a weeknight.

Whoever was in charge of the ground yesterday should be sacked.

I'm so glad you asked.

We play Gold Coast, Hawthorn, and West Coast twice. That's six winnable games right there.

The games against Freo, Essendon and Richmond - who I reckon will all be around the bottom third of the ladder - are all in the winnable category too. That's 9.

I reckon we'll lose just a few of those.

And then we'll get some surprise wins against the likes of the Saints and Swans.
I think Geelong are bottom 4 this year also. We have a decent chance against them also

Where does LMAC honestly fit when he is fit?

It can't be at the expense of Sheezel, McKercher and Fisher. They are all dynamic runners out of half back.

Based on the last 2 weeks, it can't be at the expense of Goater, he's just so much more athletic and bigger. He can genuinely play tall and small and provide run himself. We are crazy if we don't try and pump 22 games into him.

The remainder of positions are made up with Biggy, Pink and Dawson.
I can't see a place for him in defence.
Perhaps somewhere else on field?
Idk to be honest.

Last time we beat them was 2015, I think. Geez it would be heartening to break the drought.

Northball is unrefined but I do think it'll catch some teams by surprise when it works, especially those who have grown comfortable with treating us as easy beats. Catching an ageing Geelong team outside of GMHBA will be as prime an opportunity as any.

Strong start with “no defence” but wtf is the both-sidesing here?

It came as St Kilda coach Ross Lyon said 30-year-old Webster was “devastated” by the bump after meeting him for coffee on Monday morning.

He said there was “no defence” for the hit.

“He’s really concerned for Jy. Very remorseful but it was a split second action. It’s very difficult. It’s just a very difficult situation. Really concerned for both lads, in particular Jy because it was a very heavy physical contact. Jimmy’s remorseful,” he said.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back