VFL Practice Match v Box Hill Saturday 9th March 10am - Live Stream

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know if theres a link to a replay ? Or was it just a live stream, can’t find one anywhere.

Did chat to mate las night who said Lefau, was very good, closing speed exceptional for a 100kg athlete. Will be interesting to see if he gets a look in early, or spends some more time in the 2s honing his forward craft.
I’d replace kozi with him,I’ve seen enough

I would think we will see it at some point, but you have to give each formation a full chance to click.

I think Koschitzke is trying to do all the right things, he is probably just not good enough at it. I thought we looked best in the forward half yesterday when Maurioli and or Balta were having an impact in contests and with pressure. Lefau could likely bring more along those type of lines. But of course Lynch will return and this will make a huge difference to all around him, so see how that looks first.

The class of JUDD really stood out and he's got to be in our best 22. Special mentions to Hayes-Brown as for a newbie to the game he offers a lot of hope. His strength in the ruck work was outstanding and he kept his balance and feet well. He had a lot of airy hitouts, but shoved his opponent consistently out of the contest. Once he learns how to follow the play around the ground and jump in the ruck contests he's going to be a hard man to stop. Already passed Colina by a country mile and could easily pass Ryan as he's stronger and growing as a footballer at a faster rate. HE was so unravelled and under roared by the whole situation. Hopefully by mid next year he can break into the side as his progress was so advanced for a novice.
Picked it up off the deck a few times very cleanly as well.

I would think we will see it at some point, but you have to give each formation a full chance to click.

I think Koschitzke is trying to do all the right things, he is probably just not good enough at it. I thought we looked best in the forward half yesterday when Maurioli and or Balta were having an impact in contests and with pressure. Lefau could likely bring more along those type of lines. But of course Lynch will return and this will make a huge difference to all around him, so see how that looks first.
Sounds like Nank will be coming back. I think they will keep Naismith in at least until Nank is match fit, with Lynch I doubt we can play either Kosi or Lefau. We might be a bit tall. Should go with Cumberland as a medium forward, but that probably won't happen.

I haven’t got the bar set too high for him, Hawks gave him up for peanuts.

I’d like to see a bit more physicality from him though, it’s why Miller doesn’t play, and it’s what we are crying out for up forward. Give Shia, Seth, MRJ etc. a chance of winning some ground ball inside 50.

Can’t wait to see Myketi let loose sometime this year. Especially when/if Lynch gets back and is attracting the oppositions best 2 defenders

I haven’t got the bar set too high for him, Hawks gave him up for peanuts.

I’d like to see a bit more physicality from him though, it’s why Miller doesn’t play, and it’s what we are crying out for up forward. Give Shia, Seth, MRJ etc. a chance of winning some ground ball inside 50.

Can’t wait to see Myketi let loose sometime this year. Especially when/if Lynch gets back and is attracting the oppositions best 2 defenders
Yes he has a touch of 'controlled' mongrel about him that is interesting and that I like, whether it can translate to being a competitive AFL player is another question...
He has speed...he has a competitive edge...can kick a footy...lots to work with and polish!
As for Kosi...is competitive when it suits him...not when it suits the team! Big Diff!
Still need to play him when Lynchy is around...see how he fires up then!

SFNL to VFL: Tom McCarthy’s elevation to ‘a standout’ at Punt Rd​

Tom McCarthy quietly walked into Highett last season. 12 months later he’s making much more noise at Richmond as a pre-season “standout”. We go inside his remarkable rise.

View attachment 1923156

It was Richmond’s last VFL session of the calendar year.

Ahead of an imminent list cull, the candidates were put through their paces with a gruelling running session before being sprung into match simulation.
In a group of hopefuls and seasoned veterans, only few stood out.
Included in that few was newcomer Tom McCarthy from Highett, embarking on his first VFL pre-season.
The final session was a full stop on what had been a strong pre-season from McCarthy, who impressed enough to earn himself a contract for 2024.
The 23-year-old identified the first match sim as an opportunity to put himself “on the map”.
“For me, it was: ‘alright, I have to break through, I have to show what I’ve got here because I might not get another opportunity’,” he said.
“I went in there and gave it my all, ran as hard as I could and had one of those days – might be luck – where it just came to me.”

View attachment 1923157

The showing excited Tigers coach Steve Morris.

“He was one of the players that ran through the midfield and he was a standout in that game,” Morris said.

“He’s one of our leading runners, he’s a ranging-midfielder type.

“I saw him being a bit more of a half back and then we ended up throwing him through the middle and he was really impressive with his stoppage work.

“There’s no doubt he’s had improvement over the time he’s been with us.

“It’s funny, when we saw his vision prior to coming to Richmond, I thought his skills were something that were going to stand out.

“It hasn’t been that that’s been the absolute standout so far, I think that will come in games, it’s been his ability to find the footy and win it in tight that has impressed me.”

McCarthy has quietly walked into Richmond in similar fashion he did to Highett 12 months ago.

After graduating from Cheltenham Panthers Junior Football Club, McCarthy followed friends to Old Mentonians.

Highlighting cricket at Cheltenham Park over footy at that point, he kicked the Sherrin around “to fit in with friends”.

It wasn’t until halfway through his first under-19 season he thought “maybe I should have a proper crack at this”.

Old Mentonians folded and what was its agonising loss was Highett’s immeasurable gain.

While VFL was on McCarthy’s radar during the year, it was Highett’s elimination final win over Hampton Park that gave him the confidence to make the leap.

McCarthy kicked three goals, had a stack of possessions and was named best afield in the Bulldogs’ 43-point win.

“It was definitely sort of a breakout game,” he said.

“I was new to Southern and am not a big name so that game I came in with nerves but excitement.

“When you get your hands on the footy early, you can have those days where the ball keeps coming to you.

“I thought to myself that I wanted to have a crack at a VFL pre-season at least and then that last game, that final, it sort of solidified it where my eyes were set on that.”

Now he has his sights set on getting a game.

“It’s only come to me in the last month or two that I could really have a football career as well as a marketing career,” he said.

“Once you start to see a new pleasure in footy, you definitely start thinking the sky is the limit.

“I have got my foot in the door, my next goal is to have a crack at getting a game.

“If you told me three years ago I was going to be at VFL, I would’ve laughed.

“I have had this dream of playing semi-professional footy and it was unreachable three or four years ago but I sort of just kept sticking at it.”

As for where he stands at the selection table, coach Morris says he has some “stiff competition” but is certainly on the right track.

McCarthy playing for Highett. Pictures: CAM MITCHELL

He’s up against some stiff competition because we’ve got some older players he’s up against that are seriously seasoned VFL players,” he said.

“(Lachlan) Street, (Joel) Garner, Chad Harris, Tom Brindley, Cam Olden, you can continue to rattle them off.

“He’s going to have his work cut out but the way he has gone so far, he’s certainly in the mix and giving himself every chance.”
Reminds me so much of a right footed Isaac smith
Isaac was a late bloomer as well

For anyone who watched, how were:

• Kane McAuliffe (only played a half, injured?)
  • Judson Clarke
  • Kaleb Smith
  • Mykelti Lefau
  • Steely Green

Cheers!
McAuliffe showed a nice bit of toe on a couple of occasions that stood out, a big mid with acceleration is a bonus. Plus he likes it tough. Not sure he got a lot of it, but he is tough and likes to put body on body. Like Steel only played a half probably due to short turn over for Thursday's game.

Clarke was really clean and classy, a couple of long goals from outside 50 with the wind were all class. Needs to get in and under a bit more Baker style, but he is looking stronger so that will come hopefully.

Smith I really like. Just looks like a footballer. Has good intensity with everything he does and with his speed that will be an asset. Like the others just starting so doesn't get enough of it, but looks a nice kick which we need.

Lefau look a nice grab which was good to see but not a good day for key forwards. Not sure what sort of players he is, but things happen when he's around the ball. I think he might be a better mark than he knows, needs to believe in his marking because he gets his hands to them almost like he is surprised. Fair bit to work with.

Green is a carbon copy of Campbell, not as quick but a natural one touch footballer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAuliffe showed a nice bit of toe on a couple of occasions that stood out, a big mid with acceleration is a bonus. Plus he likes it tough. Not sure he got a lot of it, but he is tough and likes to put body on body. Like Steel only played a half probably due to short turn over for Thursday's game. Green was the same I imagine.

Clarke was really clean and classy, a couple of long goals from outside 50 with the wind were all class. Needs to get in and under a bit more Baker style, but he is looking stronger so that will come hopefully.

Smith I really like. Just looks like a footballer. Has good intensity with everything he does and with his speed that will be an asset. Like the others just starting so doesn't get enough of it, but looks a nice kick which we need.

Lefau look a nice grab which was good to see but not a good day for key forwards. Not sure what sort of players he is, but things happen when he's around the ball. I think he might be a better mark than he knows, needs to believe in his marking because he gets his hands to them almost like he is surprised. Fair bit to work with.

Green is a carbon copy of Campbell, not as quick but a natural one touch footballer.
Sounds promising, likely to see all of them come in at some point this year hey. Cheers for the reply!

Who is the genius that decides to play the VFL games before the AFL games. Essentially guarantees at least two of the emergencies won't play at all over the weekend. Surely can schedule preseason games better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back