Predict the round 24 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Seattle Mariners

Team Captain
Sep 14, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apparently the round 24 fixture will be released next week.
Here is my crack:

Friday night 7:50pm
Brisbane V St Kilda - Prime time Friday night with St Kilda possibly facing a "win and in"

Saturday 1:45pm games (Saturday games have become a bit of a grave yard slot so I'll put the inconsequential games here)
Hawthorn V Fremantle
North V Gold Coast

Saturday 4:05/4:35pm
Port V Richmond - Stand alone game with Richmond possibly facing a "win and in"

Saturday night - 7:25pm
Geelong V Bulldogs - home finals or top 8 at stake for these two sides demand Ch 7 prime time.
Sydney V Melbourne - Would have made this ch 7 prime time but it's now uncertain if this is Buddy's SCG farewell.

Sunday 12:40
Essendon V Collingwood - Something a bit different. If Essendon are out of business then I'm putting this game on Foxtel. The crowds will still flock for an early arvo game and I want Carlton V GWS to be stand alone.

Sunday 3:20
Carlton V GWS - prime time Sunday arvo Ch 7 time slot for what appears to be a "win and in" game for either side. What an exciting finale.

Sunday 6:10/4:10
West Coast V Adelaide - Likely to be inconsequential so happy to have this as a late game to give Carlton V GWS all the attention. Still early enough for Perth locals at 4:10pm.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Nothing surer than Blues vs Giants on Sunday afternoon leading into the news. Hopefully both sides have the top 8 locked in by then.

Drew Jones claiming Sydney v Melbourne will be a Saturday night. Can only imagine that would be the case if Channel 7 want the game if it is Lance's final game.

Might be bias but I’d switch the port v rich game to Friday night and Bris v saints to Saturday arvo.

Main reason is that Richmond on a Friday night playing for a spot in the finals will pull a much greater crowd (port home game anyway) and tv number than the saints playing in prime time.
Port play the previous Sunday in Perth so would have to cop a 5 day break if they were to play Richmond on the Friday night.

Nothing surer than Blues vs Giants on Sunday afternoon leading into the news. Hopefully both sides have the top 8 locked in by then.
Essendon/Collingwood just as, if not more likely.
Possibility of Essendon having to beat Collingwood to make the 8. Same scenario as Carlton last year. Much bigger audience than Carlton/GWS.

Apparently the round 24 fixture will be released next week.
Here is my crack:

Friday night 7:50pm
Brisbane V St Kilda - Prime time Friday night with St Kilda possibly facing a "win and in"

Saturday 1:45pm games (Saturday games have become a bit of a grave yard slot so I'll put the inconsequential games here)
Hawthorn V Fremantle
North V Gold Coast

Saturday 4:05/4:35pm
Port V Richmond - Stand alone game with Richmond possibly facing a "win and in"

Saturday night - 7:25pm
Geelong V Bulldogs - home finals or top 8 at stake for these two sides demand Ch 7 prime time.
Sydney V Melbourne - Would have made this ch 7 prime time but it's now uncertain if this is Buddy's SCG farewell.

Sunday 12:40
Essendon V Collingwood - Something a bit different. If Essendon are out of business then I'm putting this game on Foxtel. The crowds will still flock for an early arvo game and I want Carlton V GWS to be stand alone.

Sunday 3:20
Carlton V GWS - prime time Sunday arvo Ch 7 time slot for what appears to be a "win and in" game for either side. What an exciting finale.

Sunday 6:10/4:10
West Coast V Adelaide - Likely to be inconsequential so happy to have this as a late game to give Carlton V GWS all the attention. Still early enough for Perth locals at 4:10pm.

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Collingwood top of the ladder should not get a Sunday game.

Collingwood vs Carlton in round 23 last year was Sunday arvo and got 88,000 people.

If any teams can pack out the MCG for a graveyard shift, it's Collingwood and Essendon.

Essendon might need a win to sneak into finals. It would be the game of the round for sure.
Everyone knows that the Sunday round 23 match was such a disadvantage that they lost to Swans by less than a kick in the Prelim.

Friday
7.50 Essendon v Collingwood

Saturday
1.45 Hawthorn v Fremantle
2.10 North Melbourne v Gold Coast
4.35 Sydney v Melbourne
7.25 Geelong v Western Bulldogs
7.40 West Coast v Adelaide

Sunday
1.10 Brisbane v St Kilda
3.20 Carlton v GWS
4.40 Port Adelaide v Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thursday -
Lions v Saints - Gabba - FTA

Friday -
Cats v Dogs - GMHBA - FTA

Sat Arvo -
North v Suns - Tassie
Swans v Dees - SCG

Sat Night -
Power v Tigers - AO
Bombers v Pies - MCG - FTA

Sun Arvo -
Hawks v Dockers - MCG
Blues v Giants - Marvel - FTA

Sun Night -
Eagles v Crows - Perth

All times AEST

Friday
Essendon v Collingwood, 7:50pm

Saturday
Hawthorn v Fremantle, 1:45pm
Geelong v Western Bulldogs, 2:10pm
Sydney v Melbourne, 4:35pm
Brisbane Lions v St Kilda, 7:20pm
Port Adelaide v Richmond, 7:40pm

Sunday
North Melbourne v Gold Coast 1:10pm
Carlton v GWS Giants, 3:20pm
West Coast v Adelaide, 4:40pm

Collingwood vs Carlton in round 23 last year was Sunday arvo and got 88,000 people.

If any teams can pack out the MCG for a graveyard shift, it's Collingwood and Essendon.

Essendon might need a win to sneak into finals. It would be the game of the round for sure.

Collingwood wasn't top of the ladder then.

Didn't the AFL say teams on the top of the ladder would get the best timeslots in the last round?

Friday 7:50 - Collingwood vs Essendon - MCG (FTA)

Saturday 1.45 Hawks vs Freo - MCG

Saturday 2:10 Sydney vs Melbourne - SCG

Saturday 4:35 Port vs Richmond - AO

Saturday 7:25: Geelong vs Bulldogs - GHMBA (FTA)

Saturday 7:40: Brisbane vs St Kilda - Gabba

Sunday 1:10 West Coast v Adelaide- Optus

Sunday 3:20 Carlton vs GWS - Marvel (FTA)

Sunday 4:40 North Melb vs Gold Coast - BA

Collingwood wasn't top of the ladder then.

Didn't the AFL say teams on the top of the ladder would get the best timeslots in the last round?
With the week off, I would have Sunday as the best timeslot. Prefer an 11 or 12 day break to 14

When is round 24 due out?
It's a getting a bit silly now, and there will be people needing to book their flights and accommodation to see their team interstate.

When is round 24 due out?
It's a getting a bit silly now, and there will be people needing to book their flights and accommodation to see their team interstate.
I think Ed said they will wait until Monday on Footy Classified last night. Which is ridiculous.

It's far too late notice.

Unlikely to occur but the AFL should consider scheduling that game for the Friday night. Reward both teams for their strong finish to the season and one or both teams could be playing for a finals spot.

Where the * is the ******* Round 24 fixture? This is getting ridiculous.

Anyway my prediction:

Dogs, WCE, Dees, Hawks, Freo and Port can't be Friday night

FRIDAY
7:50 Essendon v Collingwood @ MCG (7)

SATURDAY
1:45 North Melbourne v Gold Coast @ Blundstone (Fox)
2:10 Sydney v Melbourne @ SCG (Fox)
4:35 Port Adelaide v Richmond @ AO (Fox)
7:25 Geelong v Western Bulldogs @ GMHBA (7)
7:40 Brisbane v St Kilda @ Gabba (Fox)

SUNDAY
1:10 Hawthorn v Fremantle @ MCG (Fox)
3:20 Carlton v GWS Giants @ Marvel (7)
4:40 West Coast v Adelaide @ Optus (Fox)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back