Autopsy Prelim Final- Hawthorn d Freo by 27 (Trolls will be carded)

Remove this Banner Ad

Duffield is 31. He's been sub 22 for a few seasons now. Not disrespecting him at all, but the younger types in Sheridan and Sutty have taken over.
Yeah I agree, it's really Suttcliffe that has taken his spot. I see Sheridan as a different player, more a midfielder, I think Suttcliffe has him covered as a defender.
Duffman has been a good player but his time has passed.

Some great posts on this thread by Freo and non Freo supporters. For me I could have written the script for this game because I've seen it over and over and over again..... too many times. Get the jump on opposition but just when it looks like we can really put the foot on the throat costly skill errors and decision making let's our opponent off the hook and back into the game and before you say thank your mother for the rabbits, it's us who is on the back foot.

It was like having a premonition that a car crash is about to happen but you are powerless to do anything about it.

Got to go hard for Bennell and McCarthy, trade Clarke and Mayne needs to be put on the trade table sad to say being a Perth Demon.

And need to find a diamond or two in the rough from our late draft picks.
Spot on - every game bar the Richmond at subi, Hawks in tassie and derby 2 we looked like we could really surge ahead only to win by lowish margins due to skill errors and not being able to sustain slick ball movement for 4 quarters. Most teams weren't good enough to take advantage, others were like NM late in the year and almost Richmond at the G. Very predictable result in the end despite all the BS umpiring

40 mtrs off the ball , thats why the free was paid. Ross lyon even mentioned the undisciplined act in his press confrence. If that bump was laid in play no problem, but it was off the ball so correct call umpire.

That's complete rubbish. That sort of incident happens on a weekly basis and goes unpenalised. Witness Pyke from Sydney slamming into Fyfe off the ball in the first week of the finals right in front of the umpire and nothing.

The problem with our defence is that we don't have that many dominant players back there, even though our game plan depends on it. A Harry Taylor or Cale Hooker type player is what we really need back there.

A few years ago out intercept marking in defence was a strength of ours. Now it's almost a weakness.
I don't know about that. Johnson and Ibbotson aren't bad, i'd actually rate them quite highly. How does this sit with others?

I would love to put together a video edit of how bad the umpiring was in that game to really highlight how bad it really was!

So many 50/50s that they got that we didn't. So many 8m kicks paid as marks. It really was a putrid performance.

Did the umpiring cost us the game? Probably not, but if it was fair we would've had an even chance at least.
Please do make a highlights clip.
Those two frees in the first completely changed the momentum.
Can't believe Stevic is still able to umpire finals.
So frustrating to watch a couple of bad decisions turn a game on its head.

Man the crowd around me were going absolutely nuts at Stevic. I don't really yell abuse towards the umpires but I found myself doing it as well last night. Mainly at Stevic the Hawks fanboi.

Umpires was a side note though, not where we lost the game. But * it was still frustrating.

I'll eventually get to replay so my mind might change, but I thought we put a good game in and for significant parts were on top in everything but scoring. But the Hawks just played so so well. Organized, disciplined, fast when they needed to be and slow and supper controlled when they didn't - and accurate as hell when it came to finishing.

We had to play our absolute top shelf to win that and it wasn't quite that.

What was top shelf was the crowd. The call went out and Purple Haze was massive. Well done to the Freo faithful.

Have to disagree dude , watch the news !!! Nothing " Top Shelf " about the Docker supporter in a Dockers Jumper punching the woman in the face for asking him to stop swearing and abusing his team !!!!
Disgraceful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so you made a fake profile just to post about an individual in the crowd - your behaviour is just as bad

Have to disagree dude , watch the news !!! Nothing " Top Shelf " about the Docker supporter in a Dockers Jumper punching the woman in the face for asking him to stop swearing and abusing his team !!!!

Seriously 1 or 2 supporters does not change how the majority of supporters were.

And other docker supporters stopped him.

Piss off back to your own board.

There was no hunger to win & the game plan most definitely needs to change, next year fellas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some acts by the some individual freo supporters were disgraceful last night one fan leaning over the fence and threatning to hit Isacc Smith and another "hitting" a woman in the throat.
typical night on the Gold Coast

we are all aware of it and don't think it was great, but they were INDIVIDUALS

How is it that Mayne's set shot misses crush the confidence of the team every time?

Because it takes nearly twice the amount of disposals to get the ball into our fwd 50 than the best teams.

We work so hard for get a goal, when you miss an absolute sitter it kills the team spirit

So the poster you were responding to was the bloke who hit that woman was he?

Try to comprehend that a handful of peanuts do not represent an entire crowd of 40,000+ people

I went to the game and where I sat there were several hawks supporters and whilst all the people around me supported their respective teams with passion there wasn't a hint of trouble

The crowd was loud and it's no fault of theirs the players couldn't stay with hawthorn for the full 4 quarters. A couple of momentum killers midway through the last when freo were surging decided the game

Oh really, you don't think I know that? I posted my post before I saw that clip BTW and of course it was disgraceful, as do the Dockers fans around him that restrained him and pretty much everybody else. That was one very very idiotic individual who will probably end up in jail because of it and I hope he never goes to a game again.

Now if you think that typifies the crowd overall, then you're simply stupid.

Where I was sitting, the fans were sensational (the odd Hawks fans included).

Last edited:
Condolences on the loss guys. The three free goals Hawthorn received early in the game were horrendous and if umpire Rosebury (number 8) gets another final I'll be watching him very closely. Michael Walters was absolutely astounding all game.
Also.. hoping Pav plays on but he just didn't appear from an outside perspective to be the powerhouse Adonis he has been years past.

See you in the finals (and a Friday night regular season game at Domain) in 2016

Seriously 1 or 2 supporters does not change how the majority of supporters were.

And other docker supporters stopped him.

Piss off back to your own board.
Have to agree "GTD". It only takes a couple of very abusive, threatening supporters to give the fans a bad name. Its a shame, because Freo put in a really good effort considering they were also obviously carrying injured players in the game. I must say honestly that I was nervous when a few minutes into the last quarter Freo were getting on top and only 9 points down, and a couple of nervous errors allowed the Hawks to surge once again.Commiserations anyway guys.

To bring the thread back to things that happened ON the field ...

I think what people are forgetting/ignoring is that very nearly it could have turned out differently - when first Barlow and then Walters kicked at goal in 4Q, the game could have been very different and we would have had a great chance IMO (RTB and Clarko seemed to concur on this). We missed, and they went on to win it comprehensively from there on, so the Hawks were simply better - so my point is not ifs & buts. Just want to make the argument that despite everything going against us, ridiculous frees, Mayne/Griff missing, etc. we were still right in it. So with all the disappointment and all the moaning about skills, tactics, etc. we still have so much to be proud of. Yes, the Hawks are a better team, but we gave them a hell of a fight through adversity - I am plenty proud of that.

That feels good, now go back to arguing to throw everything out and start a rebuild from the bottom ...

Better that we lost to the hawks this week rather than to WC next (although I would have been more confident of beating WC). I'll be praying for north to win tonight and if they can't, as painful as it will be I'll be supporting hawks next week. To finish on top of the ladder and watch WC walk away with the cup will be too much. To have finished on top and then lost to the WC in a grand final would have given me suicidal tendencies or homicidal or both but not in that order. Listening to WC supporters banging on about 4-0 would be devastating.

I'm very sincerely sorry Freo fans for your loss, obviously don't know your pain right now.I know it's hard to look onto 2016 but I hope this can galvanize your club more than anything.Hoping next year can finally be the one, keep the faith you're a brilliant club:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back