Peak Freo.
Sandi to Fyfe to Walters in the 3rd.
Ballas final goal.
Pav on fire.
Manic pressure.
Great commentary, 'They keep coming at you, and at you, and at you.'
And the crowd, oh, that crowd.
Enjoy!

Our core midfield (Fyfe, Mundy, Crowley) was slower than most but because of their size it was hard to bump them of the ball if they got to it first and our ruck (Sandi) helped see to it that we got there first more often than not (although interesting to see how Sydney took strong advantage of their speed when they got it first). Crowley also often saw that one of their midfielders was totally negated from having any influence, leaving Fyfe and Mundy to compete one on one with their opponents and I still can't shake that that was hugely important to the setup.

Around that was a very fast bunch of outside runners (Hill, Pearce and Mzungu) as well as up forward with Ballas, Mayne and DeBoer to provide pressure both offensively and defensively and fill gaps up. Also hard to ignore the importance of the foot skills of Mundy, Hill, McPharlin, Duffield and Johnson in terms of distributing the ball especially to Pav often lace out. (although we were pretty myopic for him and Walters). Pav and Walters goal kicking accuracy was also often on show which helped.

Our core midfield (Fyfe, Mundy, Crowley) was slower than most but because of their size it was hard to bump them of the ball if they got to it first and our ruck (Sandi) helped see to it that we got there first more often than not (although interesting to see how Sydney took strong advantage of their speed when they got it first). Crowley also often saw that one of their midfielders was totally negated from having any influence, leaving Fyfe and Mundy to compete one on one with their opponents and I still can't shake that that was hugely important to the setup.

Around that was a very fast bunch of outside runners (Hill, Pearce and Mzungu) as well as up forward with Ballas, Mayne and DeBoer to provide pressure both offensively and defensively and fill gaps up. Also hard to ignore the importance of the foot skills of Mundy, Hill, McPharlin, Duffield and Johnson in terms of distributing the ball especially to Pav often lace out. (although we were pretty myopic for him and Walters). Pav and Walters goal kicking accuracy was also often on show which helped.
Great analysis, thank you.
It's amazing that we can't watch the intensity and team-mentality of this game and replicate it it today - same goes for other teams too. Maybe the missing ingredient is that unified, single-minded belief and implicit trust in one-another, the sort of thing you need an inspirational figure to build around.

What's that motion of Crowley's? Is he taking the p**s 'You're scared and shirking the contest'?
Pretty much. Commentator's take was Crowley telling Jack "You had a little bit of a look didn't you Kieran?"

That night was surely one of the best and most alive you would feel as a Freo Fan.

Watching us demolish Sydney in that 2nd Quarter & knew we were heading to a Granny in the last quarter.

The way we played that night everyone believed they could beat the Hawks the following week.

And everyone was right to believe we could beat the Hawks, cause that's exactly what would have happened if we went anywhere near our form in the first 2 finals. Unfortunately we got stage fright at the G.

And everyone was right to believe we could beat the Hawks, cause that's exactly what would have happened if we went anywhere near our form in the first 2 finals. Unfortunately we got stage fright at the G.
We didn't disgrace ourselves like some teams have since then on GF day.

I take solace from that.

But the prelim final of the 2013 felt like a cauldron on TV I couldn't imagine what it would have been to be at live.

Yep and Fyfey gets a lot of flack for that. We all too easily forget the 2 great marks in the D50 in this game early on, and several goals that helped get us there in the first place

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Fyfe goal on the run from the centre break

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

We didn't disgrace ourselves like some teams have since then on GF day.

I take solace from that.

But the prelim final of the 2013 felt like a cauldron on TV I couldn't imagine what it would have been to be at live.
Probably will be forever the greatest game I'll have been at, until we hoist the cup.

Probably will be forever the greatest game I'll have been at, until we hoist the cup.
My best was that final in Geelong.
It was much nicer than the gf.
We watched that prelim at the Great Northern & it went off.
One former player who doesn't get enough love imo is Duffield. He waa excellent for us.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My best was that final in Geelong.
It was much nicer than the gf.
Now that was a helluva day! My best AFL game attended too (only behind the 1997 WAFL GF for all time games).
We watched that prelim at the Great Northern & it went off.
It most absolutely did!
One former player who doesn't get enough love imo is Duffield. He waa excellent for us.
My first buddy!
On my laptop using coffee.

The AFL brought in the interchange cap specifically to stop teams being able to apply that level of intensity for the entire game, initially it was 120 (we averaged over 130 per game in 2013, easily the highest of any team).
In 2016 it decreased to 80 and our game plan was completely torpedoed.
Thx for pointing that out, I didn't realise the interchange caps were specifically a response to Freo's style.
I agree with the rule but pity it hurt us more than others.

Now that was a helluva day! My best AFL game attended too (only behind the 1997 WAFL GF for all time games).

It most absolutely did!

My first buddy!

On my laptop using coffee.
I think I love you.
Ahem, I mean you are OK.
You are the anti-David Warner of personalities. (watching cricket ATM)
only bad thing about the Great Northern on that night was the smoking in the beer garden.
Thankfully vapists & smoke morons are prohibited from spoiling the air for humans, nowadays. :cool:

I think I love you.
Ahem, I mean you are OK.
Weepy and reminiscent but otherwise living the dream.
You are the anti-David Warner of personalities. (watching cricket ATM)
Hop that's a good thing.
only bad thing about the Great Northern on that night was the smoking in the beer garden.
Thankfully vapists & smoke morons are prohibited from spoiling the air for humans, nowadays. :cool:
Don't remember the smoking, just the noise. We were either inside (think Seppo had a table booked but that could have been a different game) or in that little room just as you head out towards the beer garden.

Best Freo game to highlight everything wrong with Freo Today.
Against the Cats it was against the odds.
Freo’s first Derby win another classic.
Current players that have it are Serong, Treacy, Erasmus, Johnson
hopefully Delean.
Love to go on the hunt again and strike first.

Weepy and reminiscent but otherwise living the dream.

Hop that's a good thing.

Don't remember the smoking, just the noise. We were either inside (think Seppo had a table booked but that could have been a different game) or in that little room just as you head out towards the beer garden.
I know Seppo.
great bloke.
he even gave me a lift home from one of the pubs one day.
I haven't seen him a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back