Preview Preview/changes - Round 3 v. Port Adelaide (Viney 200th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were also games where we had Oliver in where we played even trashy football and he was part of that problem.

And Oliver is absolutely not the best player in the competitionlet alone the team. An insult to Christian Petracca first of all as evident by his complete dominance over the weekend with his slick ball use hitting our forwards 50m flat and low to their advantage and also his defensive effort. Not only that, Trac has been very consistent in all 3 games so far this year where as Oliver hasn't.

But let's not facts get in the way of that huh..
the 4 bnf's speak for themselves. Petracca played well. Yet Oliver was the one they chose to tag despite having no pre-season. Speaks volumes for his talent. Are you really going to ignore Oliver's off-season and pretend he is in tip top shape? Please. Get back to me when Petracca has won 2 coaches awards. Or even 1.

Oliver has been extremely consistent this year. What are you banging on about. 30 touches, 35 touches and then a respectable performance against Finn.

I never said I wanted him dropped.

I did say he was a cancer to the club when he was abusing players and staff while hanging out with Joel Smith and at Revs all night while still expecting his pay cheque.

Don’t know where you workdanster168 but I am certain 99% of work places would * someone off for that behaviour.

Even blokes like Petracca came out and said he didn’t trust Oliver for a period, but don’t let that get in the way of your narrative.

I never said I wanted him dropped.

I did say he was a cancer to the club when he was abusing players and staff while hanging out with Joel Smith and at Revs all night while still expecting his pay cheque.

Don’t know where you workdanster168 but I am certain 99% of work places would * someone off for that behaviour.

Even blokes like Petracca came out and said he didn’t trust Oliver for a period, but don’t let that get in the way of your narrative.
I have no issues if you think that. Oliver is still hanging out with Joel Smith as was seen by his instagram story this week and I'm sure we can both agree that his behaviour isn't going to miraculously change in the space of a few weeks so is it safe to say that you would still prefer him out of the team?

the 4 bnf's speak for themselves. Petracca played well. Yet Oliver was the one they chose to tag despite having no pre-season. Speaks volumes for his talent. Are you really going to ignore Oliver's off-season and pretend he is in tip top shape? Please. Get back to me when Petracca has won 2 coaches awards. Or even 1.

Oliver has been extremely consistent this year. What are you banging on about. 30 touches, 35 touches and then a respectable performance against Finn.
Come back to when me Oliver has NS hanging around his neck for performing in the biggest game of the year. Petracca gets it, he stood up when it mattered the most.

Oh please. Don't just give me disposal numbers for the sake of it. His game against Sydney was average at best. Sloppy and continually just blazed away without assessing better options ahead. A known deficiency in his game.

His game against the doggies was much better and it had absolutely nothing to do with how many times he touched the footy but the way he used it. He simplified his game and actually didn't blaze away as normal. He also brought others into the game by getting it more on the outside to our runners which opened up the doggies on the offence.

See this where you struggle with keeping up with the modern game. It's not all about the disposal count where as you have a general fixation with how many times he touched the footy. It's the way he's utilising the footy and also keeping his game as simple as possible.

He's one dimensional in the way that you also can't play anywhere else and is pigeon hole purely as a midfielder only where as guys like Petracca, Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe and Bontempelli are genuine superstars of the game because they can absolutely hurt you on the scoreboard when resting up forward.

They have more strings to their bow and it's why they have separated themselves from the rest of the competition over the years. Oliver isn't even in this category and until he starts adding more to the scoreboard then that's where he'll be a complete player in my opinion.

Danster
"Olivers disposals are the numbers that matter because I don't understand footy"

Us "Sparrow doesn't do enough"

Danster
"Sparrows a superstar disposals don't matter"

Also Danster
"Petraccas a terrible forward because a point is a turnover"

Oliver blasts one into the atmosphere

Danster
"Olivers the greatest player of all time"

Come back to when me Oliver has NS hanging around his neck for performing in the biggest game of the year. Petracca gets it, he stood up when it mattered the most.

Oh please. Don't just give me disposal numbers for the sake of it. His game against Sydney was average at best. Sloppy and continually just blazed away without assessing better options ahead. A known deficiency in his game.

His game against the doggies was much better and it had absolutely nothing to do with how many times he touched the footy but the way he used it. He simplified his game and actually didn't blaze away as normal. He also brought others into the game by getting it more on the outside to our runners which opened up the doggies on the offence.

See this where you struggle with keeping up with the modern game. It's not all about the disposal count where as you have a general fixation with how many times he touched the footy. It's the way he's utilising the footy and also keeping his game as simple as possible.

He's one dimensional in the way that you also can't play anywhere else and is pigeon hole purely as a midfielder only where as guys like Petracca, Martin, Dangerfield, Fyfe and Bontempelli are genuine superstars of the game because they can absolutely hurt you on the scoreboard when resting up forward.

They have more strings to their bow and it's why they have separated themselves from the rest of the competition over the years. Oliver isn't even in this category and until he starts adding more to the scoreboard then that's where he'll be a complete player in my opinion.
I agree it's not about the disposal count. but they show a level of consistency. You say his game against the doggies was much better. Why do you use minimising language? He was best on ground and that was reflected in 9 coaches votes. He was amazing against the dogs.

You don't win the coaches votes twice without being consistent. Oliver stood up in the grand final too. Answer me this, so Chris Judd could be played forward could he? That's funny, I don't remember him playing there! How about Crawford, Buckley, Robert Harvey, Voss, Riccuito? All greats of the game. I don't remember them spending too much time forward.

Petracca is also a terrible forward. The worst kick for goal over a three year period. Oliver would kick just as many goals if played forward. He would also offer much better forward pressure.

At the end of the day, the dees coaches rate Oliver much higher, hence his BnF results. The AFL coaches all rank Oliver as higher, hence winning the coaches votes award twice.

Both are great player but Petracca isn't at Olivers level in terms of being clean. Petracca fumbles way too much and has poor skills in front of goal.

Who won the BnF in the premiership year? Oliver. He stood up. Putting it all down to 1 game is a pathetic way of summing up one persons career. That's like saying Salem is better than May because he polled more votes in the norm smith medal voting...

Riccuito? All greats of the game. I don't remember them spending too much time forward.
You're an absolute pineapple 😂

Roo kicked 4 or more goals 16 times
Kicked 3 or more 38 times

Oliver has kicked 3 once in his AFL career

Apologize to everyone now for wasting their time.

You're an absolute pineapple 😂

Roo kicked 4 or more goals 16 times
Kicked 3 or more 38 times

Oliver has kicked 3 once in his AFL career

Apologize to everyone now for wasting their time.
I mean not surprised one bit he barely knows Riccuito.. sums it up.

Roo was an absolute beast of a player.. just an absolute wrecking ball and played footy the way it should be, tough and uncompromising.

He, Andrew McLeod and Tony Modra are three of the best Adelaide Crows I've seen play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I did. I screenshotted that already. Or are you saying that someone saying Oliver is a 'cancer to the club' means that he should be a regular in the 22?
You do understand someone wanting to trade someone in the offseason for a return doesn't mean they think they arent best 22 if they aren't traded don't you?

Very complicated I know.

Last edited:
You do understand someone wanting to trade someone in the offseason for a return doesn't mean they think they arent best 22 if they aren't traded don't you?

Very complicated I know.
I think he lost you when you made sense.

I mean not surprised one bit he barely knows Riccuito.. sums it up.

Roo was an absolute beast of a player.. just an absolute wrecking ball and played footy the way it should be, tough and uncompromising.

He, Andrew McLeod and Tony Modra are three of the best Adelaide Crows I've seen play.
Roo could easily have played as a forward if he wasn't a mid. He could have been Toby Greene like no problems at all. IIRC he played full forward against the Pies and kicked 6 at the dome one night later in his career.

Anyway... Back to Port.

I have no expectations going into this game. Severely undermanned and our lack of depth is coming to the forefront, evident by relying on BBB and TMac to play key roles.

Their midfield spanked us last year, and without May around to hold the backline together, I can see Goody forcing us to play ultra conservative. Expect long bombs and a 60 plays 50 scoreline.

Only reason I'll watch this is because Butters and Rozee are great to watch.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

So you're saying that if you were coach you would not have Oliver in the side?

Oliver is the best player imo and probably the greatest player in my lifetime. We are never better without him. There were many games last year where we played like trash without Oliver in the team.

But all of this talk about Oliver's kicking, why is it that you think that Oliver was tagged on the weekend? Because the opposition coach rates him as the most damaging pl
Roo could easily have played as a forward if he wasn't a mid. He could have been Toby Greene like no problems at all. IIRC he played full forward against the Pies and kicked 6 at the dome one night later in his career.
Roo was the modern day Leigh Matthews. My old man always said Matthews was the best and toughest player he'd ever seen. If it wasn't for Gaz Snr, I'd make a strong case for Roo to be the best player I've seen in my time.

Last edited:
Kicked 6 against collingwood round 1 2006, then kicked 5 round 2 against WC.

He was like Trac if he wasn't a private school nice boy

Roo was the modern day Leigh Matthews. My old man always said Matthews was the best and toughest player he'd ever seen. If it wasn't for Gaz Snr, I'd make a string case for Roo to be the best player I've seen in my time.
Yeah, I didnt see Matthews in his prime but I think that is a very good comparison going off the highlights I have seen.

I retract my comment about him holding back Sparrow.

Looks like at some point I was trying to bat for Sparrow but that phase of me is now long gone.

Why am I the one being used as evidence in other peoples arguments also? I was a neutral stand buyer until everyone decided to start quoting me.

Yeah, I didnt see Matthews in his prime but I think that is a very good comparison going off the highlights I have seen.
It's why I can't stand the Oliver's the greatest ever talk. Guessing most here who think that don't remember Roo or anyone before 5 years ago.
Riccuito was a gun mid who would be the best forward on the ground if he wanted. He was everything De Goey, Trac and all those types think they are.
Only one compatible is prime Dusty because of his sheer power 1-1

Anyway... Back to Port.

I have no expectations going into this game. Severely undermanned and our lack of depth is coming to the forefront, evident by relying on BBB and TMac to play key roles.

Their midfield spanked us last year, and without May around to hold the backline together, I can see Goody forcing us to play ultra conservative. Expect long bombs and a 60 plays 50 scoreline.

Only reason I'll watch this is because Butters and Rozee are great to watch.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Will be interesting game, we have looked far better the past two weeks with our ball movement but I remain highly sceptical until we do it against someone relevant, Port can absolutely be scored against, a low scoring slugfest against better than bad opposition will have me right back to questioning the direction of this team under Goodwin, sick of him and this team choking it up in big games with boring predictable play.

Will be interesting game, we have looked far better the past two weeks with our ball movement but I remain highly sceptical until we do it against someone relevant, Port can absolutely be scored against, a low scoring slugfest against better than bad opposition will have me right back to questioning the direction of this team under Goodwin, sick of him and this team choking it up in big games with boring predictable play.
Worst part is doesn't matter how we look or play. If we lose it'll be because May and Lever didn't play.

Ball movement still a big watch. We did seize up bad for a half again against hawthorn once they stopped dicking around with the ball.

Most Important player hands down is Oliver when it comes to our ball movement. If he gets kick happy like against the swans and last year we will look awful, if he's unselfish and takes the extra second to find the handball it brings all of Pickett, Chandler, ANB, Windsor, Billings etc into the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back