Universal Love Princes Park Update

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn't take 'em long...

Now that construction has restarted in the city, pre-fab segments for the ugly box shed which replaces a grandstand are going up quickly

PXL_20220112_034345850.jpg

I had no idea this was happening. Not that it matters but I feel sad seeing the stand I grew up in as a kid watching footy games every second Saturday is now gone. So many memories of that concrete Pratt/Hawthorn stand or whatever it was called. The around the groundsmen sitting up the back part. The greatest super dogs ever.

That is progress hey!

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I had no idea this was happening. Not that it matters but I feel sad seeing the stand I grew up in as a kid watching footy games every second Saturday is now gone. So many memories of that concrete Pratt/Hawthorn stand or whatever it was called. The around the groundsmen sitting up the back part. The greatest super dogs ever.

That is progress hey!

Some say that's progress. I say that's cruel.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

That is progress hey!

Unfortunately and I feel mostly the same as you do old chum, this is the price we have to pay the piper (improving our training facilities and hopefully footy dept) if we want to get that long sought 17th Flag.

The_MCG

A Trophied Cask
Dec 10, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Unfortunately and I feel mostly the same as you do old chum, this is the price we have to pay the piper (improving our training facilities and hopefully footy dept) if we want to get that long sought 17th Flag.

It is sad that we have lost some great old stands at Princes Park. Firstly the social club and Heatley Stand, and now the Pratt/Hawthorn Stand.
Even going back further when the Legends Stand was built.

Having said that though, the ground needed to be upgraded. Walking up those old wooden steps in the Heatley Stand felt like you could fall through them at any time. And I can't wait to see what it looks like when that southern wing is finished.

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
I just wish they had at least 10-15 rows of seats that ring the entire playing surface with access to walk around the stadium.
Great place for players and admin, sh*t for supporters.

It’s all been built horribly. The first phase having literally no room in front of it was a joke, as well as it cutting off the line of sight for a bit of the Gardiner Stand. This second bit repeating those mistakes.

Baggers

All Australian
Oct 6, 2003
Under your bed
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

That is progress hey!
Same here TL 15.

Mates & I used to sit in the Carlton Members area in the Pratt Terrace. Same seats every match. Turned up late one time & thought we wouldn't get our seats we loved. People who sat in the row in front of us (always sat there) had draped their scarves & jumpers over our seats to hold them for us. We ended up repaying the favour & made lifelong friendships from something as simple as that.

I know progress is vital for the club, but geez it can hit you in the feels at the same time.

Same here TL 15.

Mates & I used to sit in the Carlton Members area in the Pratt Terrace. Same seats every match. Turned up late one time & thought we wouldn't get our seats we loved. People who sat in the row in front of us (always sat there) had draped their scarves & jumpers over our seats to hold them for us. We ended up repaying the favour & made lifelong friendships from something as simple as that.

I know progress is vital for the club, but geez it can hit you in the feels at the same time.

Great post. I had two stints in that stand. One with my parents and brother when I was younger and then as an adult with some mates and my wife. I have shocked to see it has been levelled.

AndyLucimitis

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea
Great post. I had two stints in that stand. One with my parents and brother when I was younger and then as an adult with some mates and my wife. I have shocked to see it has been levelled.

In the 70's I used to stand with my parents in the Dry Area in front of the Gardiner Stand (between the Social club and Opposition race). One of my enduring memories is watching David Parkin, playing for Hawthorn, being carried up the race on stretcher unconscious !

By the way - does anyone if there are any plans to renovate the Gardiner Stand ???

CrazyJoeFevola

Setanta Ó hAilpín’s official bigfooty butler 2007
Apr 14, 2013
Gardiner Stand Can Bar
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Preston, WIndies, Armagh GAA
How hard can it be? Sad…

Same here TL 15.

Had the same experience growing up sitting in the Gardiner Stand. Lifelong family friends made out of it.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
I would contribute to crowd fund a Gardiner stand refurbishment.

It's part of a heritage overlay so any work needs to be done with careful consideration, but I can't see why it can't be done.

Would be a magnificent sight to see it full of fans.
I'd settle for a statement of intent...a vision board, a year 8 diorama, a ******* sketch...an indication that it is at least on the club's radar. Put the plan together, put a price to it, put a coterie of prominent members together and watch it happen.

Last edited:
Back