Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

and through to that little dunny out near that frog-pond of a pool - was that actually the one the players swam in?

Yes they did! We were the first club to have a pool on site hahaha. How many laps of that to make up an actual lap?

After visiting Princes Park over the last two weeks, it's been quite interesting to see how the redevelopment is progressing.

It seems as if the new indoor training field and admin offices will not be taking up all the space previously occupied by the Pratt Stand. It leads me to question why we didn't just leave a small part of the original grandstand standing, or at the very least move it to another part of the ground.

As much as I'd love Princes Park to be the 'the home of AFLW', have a 25k person capacity, etc. part of me hurts knowing that the Gardiner Stand (still the best part of the oval imo) is the only 'original' part of the ground left.

I also believe that the Elliot/Heroes Stand could've been designed better back in the day to allow for extra seating. It's too late now but I would've rather we'd demolished that instead of the entire Pratt Stand.

As much as I'd love Princes Park to be the 'the home of AFLW', have a 25k person capacity, etc. part of me hurts knowing that the Gardiner Stand (still the best part of the oval imo) is the only 'original' part of the ground left.

The Gardiner Stand is beautiful. It's heritage protection is probably the only thing that has saved it from destruction. It would be nice to resist anymore architectural modernism and build more vintage replica stadiums instead.

After visiting Princes Park over the last two weeks, it's been quite interesting to see how the redevelopment is progressing.

It seems as if the new indoor training field and admin offices will not be taking up all the space previously occupied by the Pratt Stand. It leads me to question why we didn't just leave a small part of the original grandstand standing, or at the very least move it to another part of the ground.

I also believe that the Elliot/Heroes Stand could've been designed better back in the day to allow for extra seating. It's too late now but I would've rather we'd demolished that instead of the entire Pratt Stand.
the pratt stand was tall enough to fdit the shed underneath it too, if you took out the second level/back area mezzanine. Could have kept the top tier over the top of the shed, with a little difficulty or trimming of the stand. Or could have easil designed this box to have a bit of a sloping roof and seating ontop.

Name a stand that size, that holds less people. The stand is huge, yet holds about 100 people

Name a stand that size, that holds less people. The stand is huge, yet holds about 100 people
They should hold a guided tour through it so we understand what's inside it. To me, it's an administration building with corporate boxes at the top, and ground facilities at the bottom.

They should hold a guided tour through it so we understand what's inside it. To me, it's an administration building with corporate boxes at the top, and ground facilities at the bottom.

Had a fancy lunch there one year when I was in my early teens, all the tables had a great view of the ground. I’d like if they could upgrade the stand and add more seats, even though as is, the stand isn’t suitable, knocking it down would further erode the history of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just hope they display the premiership cups in a better way this time as it was set up so poorly the 2nd time around. Made no sense, you couldn't take a photo with all the cups.

The original set up was great in that it was the shape of a cup.

When I took my daughter there she instinctively stood in front of it with her arms up in the air in the dhape of a Y, representing the shape of the cup.

Great memory and photo.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

They will be on pillars in the middle of the main hallway, presumably in glass/perspex cases vs what is shown in this render.

The display may have changed since then though
1644555067402.png
I just hope they display the premiership cups in a better way this time as it was set up so poorly the 2nd time around. Made no sense, you couldn't take a photo with all the cups.

The original set up was great in that it was the shape of a cup.

When I took my daughter there she instinctively stood in front of it with her arms up in the air in the dhape of a Y, representing the shape of the cup.

Great memory and photo.

That looks pretty nice, better than a vertical display.

Could get a nice effect standing at the beginning with them fading into the background.

Lights should be ready to go in April, according to someone working at the club. So won't be used for games until aflw season 2023, just for training until then.
PXL_20220206_050724652.jpg

Workers still going at 7:40pm on Tuesday.

PXL_20220215_080644143.MP.jpg

They will be on pillars in the middle of the main hallway, presumably in glass/perspex cases vs what is shown in this render.

The display may have changed since then though
View attachment 1325935

Isn't the spirit of carlton the group they kicked all those members out of?

The membership/merch/admin departments are based there at the moment, as well as offices and classrooms for Carlton College of Sport and YMCA. There are also a number of media and broadcasting suites.

I'm still not convinced about this latest redevelopment and it's effect on seating capacity and the lack of older stands from the 80s and 90s. I obviously know nothing about the permits and site plans, but instead of getting rid of the entire Pratt stand it would've been nice to keep a small section of it on the wing and demolish the rest for the indoor training facilities.

Obviously that's not possible anymore, but even now I wouldn't mind to see the Heroes stand get a bit of a 'facelift'. It still seems like a little bit of a waste of space with such a huge stand yet such a lack of seating available. Once again who knows what was/would be approved, but you may be able to build an extension to the stand with extra seats on top of its upper level.

Screen Shot 2022-03-12 at 11.10.24 pm.png

The membership/merch/admin departments are based there at the moment, as well as offices and classrooms for Carlton College of Sport and YMCA. There are also a number of media and broadcasting suites.

I'm still not convinced about this latest redevelopment and it's effect on seating capacity and the lack of older stands from the 80s and 90s. I obviously know nothing about the permits and site plans, but instead of getting rid of the entire Pratt stand it would've been nice to keep a small section of it on the wing and demolish the rest for the indoor training facilities.

Obviously that's not possible anymore, but even now I wouldn't mind to see the Heroes stand get a bit of a 'facelift'. It still seems like a little bit of a waste of space with such a huge stand yet such a lack of seating available. Once again who knows what was/would be approved, but you may be able to build an extension to the stand with extra seats on top of its upper level.

View attachment 1343223
Despite only being built in the 1970s, the Pratt Stand wasn't in the greatest state of repair, so I'm not surprised it was totally bulldozed. It would seem modern grandstands have a limited use by date.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back