List Mgmt. Priority pick

Should PP’s be given to:

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't have the wins but have been more competitive across the board this year. If we didn't get one last year there is no way we will this year.
Can't compare any of the other 17 teams to GC. They are a special case as far as the AFL is concerned.
Agree, if we win a few more games it will be hard to argue for one.

The state of a club is more than win/loss over a period of time.

We don't need the pick, and wouldn't get it regardless of the ladder position.
Gold Coast need infinitely more than a pick, but they'll get one anyway.

The AFL set a precedent last year, by not giving out genuine priority picks when we had a two win season. The gifting of access to state leaguers was designed to assist Gold Coast rather than us. The AFL is desperate to flog the dead horse on the Gold Coast, so would love to give them a priority pick, however if we end the season within a game or perhaps two of them, they couldn't not give us at least a start of second round PP without appearing totally hypocritical.

Pride or likelihood of a rapid rise do not mitigate the fact that we are currently on similar ground to the Suns statistically. There are so many inequalities in the competition already, I would happily take a leg up regardless of how illogical it may be considering our young list. Pick 19 or 20 would do nicely as trade collateral or to pick up a rebounder, small forward or project ruck (all of which tend to fall around that mark)

Honestly I can't believe how many people on here want to cling to their morals without realising the whole league is in a state of debauchery!

When everyone is grabbing academy players and father sons while every player up for trade dictates where they are willing to go there is no point trying to stay pure, if there is even the slightest chance we will get a priority pick we need to go for it (although by the time we beat the Swans, Suns, Crows and Saints I doubt they will give a 7 win side a PP).

Don't like PP's, wont help the Suns recover, whilst Free Agents are allowed to move to top 8 clubs. Free agency as it stands wrecks the equalization process. Give struggling clubs larger salary caps to retain and attract good mature players. Might sound unfair but they've been down for a long time.

There is no mythical level playing field, club would be remiss if they did not at least enquire if it was an option.

Don’t see it as any different to all other available advantages that clubs can access.

The draft as an equalisation method is a complete fail in a 18 team comp with 45 man lists. It is simply too long a road without massive advantages to struggling sides. Despite Carlton having gamed the system as hard as they possibly could we still dwell amongst the bottom 2 after several years and their is no guarantee that next year will be substantially better.

Clubs and the AFL have already indicated that they do not want to compromise the draft and see improvement for struggling clubs via the recruitment of mature age bodies, problem is they gave state league quality which will not lift these struggling teams to contention.

No quality senior player is going to a bottom 2 club to get beaten up week after week on a comparable salary to a top of the ladder team. So how do bottom teams improve?.

My Ill thought out suggestion is this. For every game a team finishes below 33% wins (7 games). They get a 100,000 salary allowance the following year with 50,000 the year after to be used to attract a mature aged player. Salary would need to be front loaded so they were at cap in year 3.
This would better enable lower placed clubs to attract existing talent by paying “overs”, whilst somewhat maintaining the integrity of the salary cap for teams competing for the flag.

Another benefit would be the potential for talent to flow from top level teams to lower ranked teams (opposite to free agency), further equalising the competition.

Spitballing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The draft as an equalisation method is a complete fail in a 18 team comp with 45 man lists. It is simply too long a road without massive advantages to struggling sides. Despite Carlton having gamed the system as hard as they possibly could we still dwell amongst the bottom 2 after several years and their is no guarantee that next year will be substantially better.

Clubs and the AFL have already indicated that they do not want to compromise the draft and see improvement for struggling clubs via the recruitment of mature age bodies, problem is they gave state league quality which will not lift these struggling teams to contention.

No quality senior player is going to a bottom 2 club to get beaten up week after week on a comparable salary to a top of the ladder team. So how do bottom teams improve?.

My Ill thought out suggestion is this. For every game a team finishes below 33% wins (7 games). They get a 100,000 salary allowance the following year with 50,000 the year after to be used to attract a mature aged player. Salary would need to be front loaded so they were at cap in year 3.
This would better enable lower placed clubs to attract existing talent by paying “overs”, whilst somewhat maintaining the integrity of the salary cap for teams competing for the flag.

Another benefit would be the potential for talent to flow from top level teams to lower ranked teams (opposite to free agency), further equalising the competition.

Spitballing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I really like the idea from (I think) David King who said struggling clubs should be able to use some of their salary cap toward draft picks. eg look at us 2 years ago, we had a shocking list that still had to be paid about 92% of what the Geelong list would get. A team that is rebuilding should be able to save cap space and use it to buy picks. Not sure how this would work in effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

**** the AFL. PPs are a way for them to meddle in clubs. Bugger off. We've getting sorted on our own thanks.
Disgraceful language young lady. :p

Wonder if we would be in a stronger or weaker position in the minds of the AFL, in regards to actually receiving a PP, if they knew we would trade it or if we were to use it.

The bottom 3 should get a PP every year, after going through what we have for so long, I can’t believe anyone thinks it’s ok for any club to have to spend 5-7 years without being genuinely competitive, it’s not good for the club and it’s not good for the competition.

I’m not sure how you would st it up but the 2 picks each year would make the process a lot faster.

Honestly I can't believe how many people on here want to cling to their morals without realising the whole league is in a state of debauchery!

When everyone is grabbing academy players and father sons while every player up for trade dictates where they are willing to go there is no point trying to stay pure, if there is even the slightest chance we will get a priority pick we need to go for it (although by the time we beat the Swans, Suns, Crows and Saints I doubt they will give a 7 win side a PP).

If we genuinely needed one and genuinely deserved one, I'd be fine with asking the question.

I just don't think we need one, don't think we'd get one, and don't think asking is worth the trouble. Gold Coast's issue isn't competitiveness - their issue is that the lack of competitiveness makes player retention nigh impossible in their location, and those two factors combine to murder any chance of building a strong enough supporter base to keep the club going and relevant. While the AFL have "Make Gold Coast work" on their to do list, they'll offer all the support they can.

We're coming off the back of a real lean period, but we're bringing players in, not losing them, we're bringing members and supporters in (in record numbers), not losing them, we've got top line facilities, strong leadership, and a talented young list. The club is in a really good spot for the future - we're not finals relevant this year, but we're oh so close to breaking out. To use a biblical metaphor - Malthouse rocked up Friday, Bolton kept saying we were on our way back on Saturday, and it's now the Saturday night before the big resurrection.

I suspect the AFL commission, or whoever determines the necessity of priority picks and other forms of special support, will see it the same way. The media certainly will, and they wield plenty of influence.

Screw the AFL handouts - they're not going to give us one regardless, and asking for it just makes us look desperate. We don't need the help (note: not that it wouldn't be put to good use).

My response is the same as it was last year.

I don’t think we need one nor do I believe we deserve one - but we should absolutely be asking the question.

Any (fair) opportunity to gain a possible leg up or advantage over the rest of the competition should be explored.

The worst that can happen is the AFL says no.

Depending how the rest of the season goes we might be in with a chance to get a start/mid/end of 2nd round PP.

We may be able to argue a case that as we only have 1 pick (likely in the early teens) in the first 2 rounds we need another somewhere later on. Probably most likely mid/end of 2nd round.

The Suns should get pick 1 imo and get those 2 boys who are best mates. Whether or not they're the best is irrelevant, they're close enough to the best and chances of them hanging around longer term is much more likely given they're mates already. It will make it easier. My understanding is that they were also going to take Rozee as he's/was best mates with Luksious, but Port beat them to him. They thought they'd take King. So the strategy for them is to make the move easier for kids this way.

Back