Opinion Priority Picks - Early Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

With the AFL gaining greater insight into the issues surrounding concussion, would you expect to see any form of compensation for teams that have players retire early due to concussion (or other injuries)?

I can see the AFL having some sort of system in place for concussions, so as to give the impression they’re not forcing players to play, by proxy, via the club (i.e the club knows they’ll get a compensation pick for losing a player, so won’t try to keep their career going).

Would you support this?
Would you support any similar system for other early retirements (beyond a certain threshold)?
The AFL certainly has incentive to step in, so as to ensure any given team isn’t crippled for multiple years due to some bad luck, but it would be hard to get the other teams to agree.

Would be nice in an ideal world, but no way you could introduce a fair system.

How do we value the players?
How do we ensure the player isn't being forced out in return for picks?
Do we include mental health?i.e. would Boyd be included, and how do you value him? One of the highest paid players in the game, but he hadn't played in nearly a year because of injury

I just see no way of introducing a compensation system that is fair

Short answer no
Bad luck if it occurs

Cap space frees up

Until the minimum spend is removed, gaining extra space is virtually worthless. Lower-tier teams only have a 5% leg up on a contending side, so can’t make offers to Free Agents that completely blow contenders out of the water, nor can they take on bad contracts in exchange for draft picks (like the NBA, for example).

Perhaps simply removing the minimum cap spend could provide enough of a compensation for losing players to injury. Would mean players can chase a FA or take a salary dump for picks.

Until the minimum spend is removed, gaining extra space is virtually worthless. Lower-tier teams only have a 5% leg up on a contending side, so can’t make offers to Free Agents that completely blow contenders out of the water, nor can they take on bad contracts in exchange for draft picks (like the NBA, for example).

Perhaps simply removing the minimum cap spend could provide enough of a compensation for losing players to injury. Would mean players can chase a FA or take a salary dump for picks.
Not sure the minimum spend should be removed. It should definitely be lowered to around 87-90% of the cap, but not removed.

We've had Jonathan Brown, Justin Clarke, Jack Frost and Matt Maquire retire due to concussion in the last 5 years or so. I still don't think it's a good idea to hand out PPs for that situation though.

With the AFL gaining greater insight into the issues surrounding concussion, would you expect to see any form of compensation for teams that have players retire early due to concussion (or other injuries)?

I can see the AFL having some sort of system in place for concussions, so as to give the impression they’re not forcing players to play, by proxy, via the club (i.e the club knows they’ll get a compensation pick for losing a player, so won’t try to keep their career going).

Would you support this?
Would you support any similar system for other early retirements (beyond a certain threshold)?
The AFL certainly has incentive to step in, so as to ensure any given team isn’t crippled for multiple years due to some bad luck, but it would be hard to get the other teams to agree.

Mostly when I hear supporters calling for PPicks.. its early comp they really want. Last years comp for Gc and Car is nowhere near as sexy.

If clubs need comp for this type of thing id be willing to listen to why its needed.. but at most id be willing to give an extra Rookie spot. One might argue that Parker has given your more than McCartin so ab extra spot that you get a chance to develop is nothing to be turning ones nose up at.. ,,but the Draft really doesnt need any help in compromising it further..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back