Priority picks - it was only 19

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think $600k would be enough for band 1. Even if the sum just got in it would be an eyebrow raising instance that a perennially injury prone 31 year old was able to garner a first round pick in compensation.

At his age it won't be band 1. Band 3 at best. Most likely band 4.

Frawley's rumoured contract was $2.2m over 4 years so $550k/year, and the AFL said last year that the threshold for band 1 last year was (conveniently) "significantly higher" than 2014 when Melbourne got band 1 for Frawley. According to that, there's no way Wells would net North a band 1 pick, even before taking into account age.

Prompted from a comment in another thread I wonder if he afl want to assess how much money they'll be pumping into the club first.

Eg. If the new football department decide to delist 1/2/3 contracted players and the afl is paying out half a million in compo might sway their mind (eg. Noble and fagan decide to delist c beams and McGrath to free up list spots)

Similar I guess to the idea that if we trade rocky and/or Hanley they might change their decision because we've gained other early picks.

Just another aimless thought on it. And in my mind it might go either way tbh. They might say you're now making the right list management decisions so we can see you should get a PP because you can be trusted not to waste it... OR they might say you're now making the right decisions so you don't need one.

PP will be announced by the end of the week. with AFL approved appointees Fagan and Noble in place surely it will be pick 1, 3 or 11 at the worst.

PP will be announced by the end of the week. with AFL approved appointees Fagan and Noble in place surely it will be pick 1, 3 or 11 at the worst.
Well, i honestly cant see how they can delay it any longer. They cant leave it until after the trade period. That is just unethical.

Hyperthetical i know.
But what if they by some miracle gave us pick 1 and Essendon had already traded it on to GWS.

Well, i honestly cant see how they can delay it any longer. They cant leave it until after the trade period. That is just unethical.

Hyperthetical i know.
But what if they by some miracle gave us pick 1 and Essendon had already traded it on to GWS.
i didn't hear it myself but it has been posted here on BF that Greg Swan said at todays presser that they expect to know by the end of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Says to me they know exactly which pick we're getting and they're ok with it. Speaks volumes that they're not jumping up and down really. Gonna be end of first round.

This seems likely unfortunately.

However I guess there's the argument that a priority pick in the first round doesn't impact the Pies this year so Eddie might no care one way or the other about us getting it but sees it as a way to further his agenda against GWS?

OMG Did Eddie just say he thinks we should have a PP? :eek:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-sit-out-next-two-drafts-20161004-gruj0t.html

"Brisbane - give them a priority pick - sort them out. "

Im amoungst his call to ban GWS from the next 2 drafts :eek:
He's likely to turn around and bleat about the northern clubs getting given the world, and use the Brisbane PP in 2016 as an argument for reducing number of points northern clubs should get for a win...

Edit: re-reading it though, if I take off my "Eddie is a stupid *******" hat - what I think he's trying to say is that GWS have such a stockpile of young talent from the last 5 years that they're always going to be trading back into the early rounds of the draft. So taking them out of the draft will allow clubs in a s**t position (like us) to actually get some of the young talent, instead of it all going to GWS. It is strange having Eddie say that may benefit Brisbane...

Last edited:
He's likely to turn around and bleat about the northern clubs getting given the world, and use the Brisbane PP in 2016 as an argument for reducing number of points northern clubs should get for a win...

Edit: re-reading it though, if I take off my "Eddie is a stupid *******" hat - what I think he's trying to say is that GWS have such a stockpile of young talent from the last 5 years that they're always going to be trading back into the early rounds of the draft. So taking them out of the draft will allow clubs in a s**t position (like us) to actually get some of the young talent, instead of it all going to GWS. It is strange having Eddie say that may benefit Brisbane...
Think you are on the mark there. GWS is set up for years to come with all the talent they have that can't get a game and end up being very healthey trade bait for future high picks

Getting 19 would still be very handy.

19 is worth 948 points, 21 =878 and 29 =653

19 and 21 combine to the value of pick 3. 21 and 29 to the value of pick 8.

Now most clubs don't necessarily trade for points value but the afl comparisons of historical trades showed strong correlations to the points values.

If we get 19 I'd be shocked if we didn't find a club willing to do either a simple or complex pick swap for us to move up in the draft.

It is also reasonably apparant this is going to be an explosive trade period with the number of players on the market.

Look at freo. They have about 6/7 spots on their list available. They have basically pick 3 and 39 of any value, they want to get Brad hill and cam McCarthy and they want to be aggressive beside that to rebuild quickly. They might be interested in all three picks for pick 3 and then on trade 19 for one and 21 for the other being left with 29 to use themselves.

North Melbourne another who might take 19 and 29 for 12. If they need to fill out their list through the draft.

And those are two unlikely but possible trades based on who has the picks today!

An absolutely Trumpesque disregard for his own previous record.

Exactly. Trust anything Maguire says at your peril. He is at all times interested only in his own agenda. Brisbane getting a priority pick is not on his agenda but saying so is useful to mitigate his comments about GWS. He can appear 'fair' for his own ends.

This is not Mr Reasonable making these comments. He is just throwing out some lures to see who bites so he can build a coalition to work on the AFL to limit GWS. Appearing to throw a PP our way and appearing supportive of academies is just part of the 'I'm doing things for the good of footy' narrative he likes to run with.

Wait a while. He'll want the academies gone next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back