Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think TheLoungeLizard and others have already established as of last season that a casual fan can easily get confused between Collingwood’s Stripes and Port Adelaide’s Prison Bars. Collingwood are within their rights to deny full time use of the jumper. For those of you making out Eddie to be worse than anyone else at Collingwood, please remember that first of all, Collingwood have a board with other members on it; and second of all, that the AFL statement seems to outline that Collingwood asked for the prison bars not to be used this season, which I’m sure would have been reiterated by the new board without him at all.

But as for a once-off in a Showdown, this has got to a farcical level, where points are now in jeopardy.

Except the club has confirmed that they don't want the Bars full time. Only for Showdowns. We aren't one of those club's that takes a mile from an inch. That honour belongs to a majority of the Victorian clubs - a certain club stating with C that wears black and white stripes comes to mind.

Except the club has already gone from given the chance in a heritage round only, then in 150th celebrations to now wanting it every year, they already do go further and further each time they are given a chance.

No one is stopping Port Adelaide celebrating their history, they are free to wear any of their other jumpers they wore before they wanted to be like Collingwood. No other club wears pink, if Port wanted to celebrate their rich history there would be no opposition to it!

But does anyone think Geelong would have been happy if Port entered the AFL wanting to wear their original jumper???

Except the club has already gone from given the chance in a heritage round only, then in 150th celebrations to now wanting it every year, they already do go further and further each time they are given a chance.

Lol. We actually don't. Also, Heritage round used to be every year so what's the difference?

No one is stopping Port Adelaide celebrating their history, they are free to wear any of their other jumpers they wore before they wanted to be like Collingwood. No other club wears pink, if Port wanted to celebrate their rich history there would be no opposition to it!

But does anyone think Geelong would have been happy if Port entered the AFL wanting to wear their original jumper???

We were going to wear our blue hooped jumper as a clash jumper last year before Covid hit.

Didn't even hear a single pip from Geelong.

Funny about that.

No one is stopping us?

Only your corrupt former President who seems to think that football outside of Victoria didn't exist prior to 1991 or in general prior to 1897.

4 points is such an absurdly high penalty for an incorrect uniform too by the way. I think the whole situation has left everyone forgetting how absurd it is. Can any history buffs tell me if a club has been penalised with a premiership point deduction ever?

No one is stopping us?

Only your corrupt former President who seems to think that football outside of Victoria didn't exist prior to 1991 or in general prior to 1897.

You’re more than welcome to wear your jumper from pre 1897, no one is stopping you. Although don’t try to wear the jumper you wore in the 1940s and 50s, then Eddie would be proven 100% correct 😉

“No one is stopping Port Adelaide celebrating their history”?

That’s literally the exact thing that’s happening.

If there’s no opposition to us wearing to wearing any of our other guernseys in our history, why can’t we wear the prison bars? That’s one of our guernseys from our history.

Port Adelaide's Ofiicial Colours:
Black, White, Teal, Silver.
There's no rule saying clubs have to wear all their colours, otherwise Collingwood would have to wear gold in all of their jumpers.
From AFL Brandzone
View attachment 1115078
Except that Collingwood have only ever worn black and white since 1892, so gold isn't a club colour

4 points is such an absurdly high penalty for an incorrect uniform too by the way. I think the whole situation has left everyone forgetting how absurd it is. Can any history buffs tell me if a club has been penalised with a premiership point deduction ever?
Essendon during the Peptide saga? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still waiting to hear the stink being kicked up from Corio Bay about our blue hooped jumper that was proposed last year.
Not the same colours as Geelong. If the colours of the prison bars were changed I wouldn't have a problem either.

“No one is stopping Port Adelaide celebrating their history”?

That’s literally the exact thing that’s happening.

If there’s no opposition to us wearing to wearing any of our other guernseys in our history, why can’t we wear the prison bars? That’s one of our guernseys from our history.

You’re just trying to be difficult by ignoring the 20 other jumpers you’ve worn and want to wear the one you wore on and off through the 20th century after you copied Collingwood.

I think it’s clear Port thought that eventually they’d be able to sneak the black and white stripes in so agreed to the original deal in hope opposition would eventually waiver.

If Port wanted to celebrate their history then rotate the jumpers, I’m sure once every 20 years Collingwood might let you wear the wannabe Collingwood jumper.

There’s a difference between having a problem with the jumper in general, and letting them wear it in showdowns though.

I think it was more of a reaction to the "We should just do it despite the fine" attitude that was going around, obviously the fine wouldn't be enough of a deterrent so the threats went nuclear. The AFL don't tend to take away points as it screws up the draft, Essendon got disqualified from the finals in 2013 and put in 9th but the AFL also took away a bunch of picks. Not sure what they'd actually do to Port though.

You’re just trying to be difficult by ignoring the 20 other jumpers you’ve worn and want to wear the one you wore on and off through the 20th century after you copied Collingwood.

I think it’s clear Port thought that eventually they’d be able to sneak the black and white stripes in so agreed to the original deal in hope opposition would eventually waiver.

If Port wanted to celebrate their history then rotate the jumpers, I’m sure once every 20 years Collingwood might let you wear the wannabe Collingwood jumper.
Okay but we shouldn’t celebrate the jumper we’ve worn for over 100 years, won 31 premierships in and 3 champions of Australia titles?

Let’s adopt the jumpers we wore for significantly less time and had little to no success wearing.

Ridiculous statement.

The irony given the fact that Collingwood’s black and white was nicked from the SA state team LOL

The Saints were pinged in 1909 for playing a player without a clearance.
That’s the only time in VFL/AFL history.

In the NSWRL/ARL/NRL there have been 12 points deductions post-match, all resulting from either illegal substitutions, playing fourteen men, or salary cap breaches. There was also five forfeits and a no-contest in Round 1 1996 due to the (soon to be) Super League teams protesting.

The closest I can think of that involves uniforms is an American College football team conceding a penalty before kickoff for wearing the wrong uniforms.

I agree with your point.

My hunch/hope is that next year our respective clubs can sit at the table and work out a deal that satisfies both clubs.
And I'm as happy as anyone to have this issue ironed out by next season, and I think it needs to. Even something along the lines of the AFL going "you can wear the PB x amount of times in any given season except against Collingwood". I think 2-3 is maybe a reasonable limit, that allows room for both Showdowns and maybe some kind of commemorative game should the occasion arise.

The problem with this whole debate is there's no actual dialogue or discussion taking place, it's just s**t-flinging like with how Kochie calling Eddie 'Trump' today like geezus this is never going to end if that keeps up.

Okay but we shouldn’t celebrate the jumper we’ve worn for over 100 years, won 31 premierships in and 3 champions of Australia titles?

Let’s adopt the jumpers we wore for significantly less time and had little to no success wearing.

Ridiculous statement.

And you did in your 150th year celebration instead of your jumper from 150 years ago, so why not move on to another one?

In 20 years when you’ve celebrated all your different jumpers you can come around to the prison bars again.

I don’t know why Port think they should get special treatment, you chose to join a league with a team who’d been wearing black and white stripes for 105 years and you were never going to get to wear your jumper you’d worn for about 75 years in the minor leagues.

There is no reason for that to change, Collingwood have already been generous enough letting you wear it as often as they did.

We were going to wear our blue hooped jumper as a clash jumper last year before Covid hit.

Didn't even hear a single pip from Geelong.

Funny about that.
They would've been fine, the blue is closer to NSW Sky Blue than Geelong's Navy

But imagine their reaction if us Swans said; "We're going to wear a replica of our original 1874 guernsey in a game"
1619771740786.png
Blue was one of South Melbourne's colours until they merged with Albert Park in 1880

Or Richmond's reaction if West Coast brought back this
1619772053211.png

Back