Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters
Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
I would personally prioritise my own football team over Port Adelaide, yes, definitely. This is because I happen to barrack for them.
I was referring to the preferential treatment from the AFL that Victorian clubs (Collingwood in particular) enjoy, obviously every supporter is going to be internally biased towards their own club.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Well I would argue this does diminish the brand. And it is sad to see Sydney FC getting pushed around so much by a major sporting brand who have come much later to the party. I'm sad that the Sydney fans haven't gotten angry with it either.
I'm sure Sydney FC fans are overjoyed that you're flying the flag for them when they've chosen not to.

"Pushed around", no one is being pushed around here, Sydney FC have probably got a supporter base 3x the size of Melbourne City. If anyone's brand has suffered from City changing colours, it's their own.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I'm sure Sydney FC fans are overjoyed that you're flying the flag for them when they've chosen not to.

"Pushed around", no one is being pushed around here, Sydney FC have probably got a supporter base 3x the size of Melbourne City. If anyone's brand has suffered from City changing colours, it's their own.
Man City, mate. Man City is doing the pushing.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Technically, the EPL consists of 60 different teams, so this point becomes less and less valid.

92 teams in the football league and premier league if you really want to be technical, but certainly only the Premier League is globally relevant.

But if you want to go further down the leagues, let's do so.

For the 2018/19 season, out of the 92 teams:

15 teams wore red shirts
16 teams wore royal blue shirts
10 teams wore red and white stripes.

And nobody had a problem with their branding because of it.

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Technically, the EPL consists of 60 different teams, so this point becomes less and less valid.
How on Earth does the PL consist of 60 different teams?

There are 20 teams in the Premier League. Below the Premier League, you've got the English Football League system which is completely unrelated to the Premier League and goes from the Championship right down to local competitions.

Most EFL leagues have 24 teams, not 20. Where on Earth do you get 60 from?

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I'm pretty sure if you look at the two jerseys the fact that one of them is covered in the same sponsors as Manchester City is a pretty dead giveaway as to which one is the City jersey.

There has been no fallout or backlash at all from the City change for Sydney FC.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams

And that Pushing (for Manchester City to unify their global clubs under one shirt colour) has not had a negative impact on Sydney FC at all, despite their initial fears.

Former Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata:

“We were adamant that we should be the only sky blue team. It’s a 10-team league. We lobbied the first time and FFA agreed,” Pignata said.

“City changed their tracksuits, corner flags, it was creeping in. Then they lobbied FFA and they changed their minds. We were disappointed, but we moved on.

“We understand as league grows there will be more colour clashes.”

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Tbqh I always preferred seeing the Pies in their white w/ black stripes getup. Some of my earliest footy memories are of watching the 1990 Grand Final on VHS & I will always associate black stripes on a white backdrop with Collingwood. For me, it's their traditional jumper. A lot of stats about how long Port have worn the PB's have been thrown around here, but I'd wager the white w/ black stripes jumper is the jumper Collingwood have worn for the longest time. There was no need for Collingwood to invert their colours like they did, the Pies should look to re-establish their identity with their primarily white jumpers once again. Let Port wear the PB's at home & wear teal for away games & all matches against Collingwood. I'm sure Port fans could make that sacrifice & Collingwood fans wouldn't lose anything at all.

Tbqh I always preferred seeing the Pies in their white w/ black stripes getup. Some of my earliest footy memories are of watching the 1990 Grand Final on VHS & I will always associate black stripes on a white backdrop with Collingwood. For me, it's their traditional jumper. A lot of stats about how long Port have worn the PB's have been thrown around here, but I'd wager the white w/ black stripes jumper is the jumper Collingwood have worn for the longest time. There was no need for Collingwood to invert their colours like they did, the Pies should look to re-establish their identity with their primarily white jumpers once again. Let Port wear the PB's at home & wear teal for away games & all matches against Collingwood. I'm sure Port fans could make that sacrifice & Collingwood fans wouldn't lose anything at all.
Collingwood can invert, or not invert it however they want. I'm not going to argue about that. I want to make a point that what we wear will have no impact on Collingwoods jumper, especially if we wore a teal clash against them. Changing anything on their end will not be necessary.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
But it quite obviously hasn't diminished their brand. At all.

Sydney FC fans haven't maintained the rage because they've realised that it's had no effect on them whatsoever. They're still the biggest and most popular club in the league and they've been the most successful club onfield for the past few seasons as well.

Collingwood are enormously bigger and more established than Sydney FC. Why do you think Collingwood will be negatively affected by this when Sydney FC haven't been at all?

As I posted earlier, this is a lot like the same sex marriage debate. It's something that really only affects a small percentage of the population, but is vitally important to them. Another small percentage of the population thinks it will negatively affect them, but the evidence from everywhere else it has happened shows that it won't. Let's just get it done.

Come on Scorch, lets not be bandying around silly statements like that!

Just on the Sydney FC/Melbourne City thing though... to get around it, Sydney technically have "sky blue" while City have "City blue". That sounds wanky at first, but if you think about it, "the sky blues" is a nickname that is really only ever referring to Sydney FC, never Melbourne City. So they easily co-exist with the same colour shirt but maintain their separate branding.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Come on Scorch, lets not be bandying around silly statements like that!

Just on the Sydney FC/Melbourne City thing though... to get around it, Sydney technically have "sky blue" while City have "City blue". That sounds wanky at first, but if you think about it, "the sky blues" is a nickname that is really only ever referring to Sydney FC, never Melbourne City. So they easily co-exist with the same colour shirt but maintain their separate branding.

Haha! I'd have said the Victory until the last few years but Sydney FC have been massive lately. It's definitely those 2 and daylight, but it did illustrate my point that Sydney FC haven't had a negative impact.

On your second point, great call. We'll just wear the Prison Bars in Obsidian™ and Snow™, problem solved! That sort of colour naming is widely used in the US to brand and it's just another way that brands can be distinguished. I think Collingwood and Port Adelaide do things well and truly differently enough from a branding perspective that there's no issue, and based on the poll result here, the board agrees.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
92 teams in the football league and premier league if you really want to be technical, but certainly only the Premier League is globally relevant.

But if you want to go further down the leagues, let's do so.

For the 2018/19 season, out of the 92 teams:

15 teams wore red shirts
16 teams wore royal blue shirts
10 teams wore red and white stripes.

And nobody had a problem with their branding because of it.

You also have 3 teams that wear claret and light blue shirts with white shorts

You have Sunderland, Southampton, Brentford, Lincoln City, Exeter, Sheffield United that all have red and white stripes and black shorts....

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
How on Earth does the PL consist of 60 different teams?

There are 20 teams in the Premier League. Below the Premier League, you've got the English Football League system which is completely unrelated to the Premier League and goes from the Championship right down to local competitions.

Most EFL leagues have 24 teams, not 20. Where on Earth do you get 60 from?

They're very much related in the whole scheme of things.....

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Again, you come across as completely narcissistic and it's simply not on to take personal jabs at fellow members of the board like you have because they slightly disagree.
I can provide a counter argument, but it means nothing because you and 100% of this board on both sides have already made up their mind and there is no debate in this case. None of us on this board can control anything, so delivering personally-charged comments to people trying to have a decent discussion just makes said discussion toxic and yes, quite unproductive.

You going to pull up your fellow pies supporter or nah? How about your self with your personal attacks on me?

I'm commenting on the jumpers and the arguments put forward, not the individuals. Get a grip buddy.

I personally don't care if we do or don't wear the wharf pylons. I think it would be great if we did, but my issue is that a national league is being dictated to by a club and its president, and that president is having a say on what other clubs should or shouldn't wear, even suggesting colour combinations.
Now imagine if Ben Buckley suggested Collingwood add a third colour to their jumpers, or changed their jumper design, while saying they want to celebrate Collingwoods history with them.
It's simply inappropriate.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
I actually never knew Melbourne City had that jersey, everytime ive seen that jersey i think of Sydney FC. From that anecdote I can tell there's a branding issue with the teams.
Well I would argue this does diminish the brand. And it is sad to see Sydney FC getting pushed around so much by a major sporting brand who have come much later to the party. I'm sad that the Sydney fans haven't gotten angry with it either.

On SM-G960U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I'd wear the teal clash vs Collingwood at home if it meant our home jumper vs other clubs was the Prison Bars.

But at the same time when the fixture is made I'd request to play Collingwood at the MCG more often. So a Port Adelaide vs Collingwood game at Adelaide Oval may be once every 2-3 years perhaps. For example, I think we haven't played St Kilda in Victoria for like 6 years.
It's been more like 12, actually. But point made.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons

This is exactly the case. As a foundation Melbourne Heart member, I can confirm the already small supporter base has diminished even further under Man Cities mismanagement. Nobody wants to turn up to watch a glorified reserves go through the motions.

sjohnson

Rory Lobbster
Mar 9, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If the PB's are approved, would people prefer the variation with more white or less? I quite like the darker version Port were wearing in the SANFL a couple years ago, but the lighter variation is probably more traditional. Doesn't quite look the same without the number panel.
PBs options.png

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If the PB's are approved, would people prefer the variation with more white or less? I quite like the darker version Port were wearing in the SANFL a couple years ago, but the lighter variation is probably more traditional. Doesn't quite look the same without the number panel.
View attachment 677996

Definitely the one on the left.

We wore black collar/cuffs for a few seasons when ISC first started in 2013 but it still had the white number panel on the back.

I’m pretty sure the only black-backed version we’ve worn recently was a tribute guernsey for the 100th anniversary of the 1914 Invincibles team.

3C94F669-2A1E-4733-801A-E2E4BE1BCFEA.jpeg

EAFFFD48-3974-4BA2-A5C7-201D06BC1C99.jpeg

It's a long history and a proud heritage, no doubt.

You're wrong at the end though because you expressly traded that right away when negotiating to join the comp. You have no right whatsoever.

If that was the case, explain this...

Angus+Monfries+Ollie+Wines+Port+Adelaide+v+VjisGET9tzyl.jpg

If we'd truly traded that right away, then this wouldn't have happened.

As with most enforceable contracts and agreements, the devil is in the detail. It's easy to say "you agreed to not wear black and white", but considering that black and white are two of our offical, AFL approved club colours, then this cannot be the case specifically.

That means the agreement is more complex than just whatever Eddie says the agreement is this week.

Last edited:
View attachment 677996
I actually kinda dig the black version. Prefer the white though.

Back