Discussion Prison Bars debate

Should Port be allowed to wear the PBs as their home jumper?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy were a 110 year old foundation club of the VFL with a huge history, the Bears were around for 9 years... Hardly worth remembering if I'm being honest.
Bears were a club that had no chance and no reason to really survive. They were setup by a millionaire who just wanted a club, given a temporary home ground and basically left to their own devices. The last year of the brands existence they made it to the prelim finals afted edging Essendon by a point and then smashing Carlton (of all teams), they also had a brownlow medalist. To be honest for their short tenure and what they were able to achieve, your statement is just dumb. They are the only AFL club brand that is in this situation.

Fitzroy were a 110 year old foundation club of the VFL with a huge history, the Bears were around for 9 years... Hardly worth remembering if I'm being honest.

Doesn't mean you can't ignore them.and pretend their heritage doesn't exist.

How many times have they worn the original BB guernsey?

The point is you feel for the Port about their Pylon guernsey but what about the Bear?
Dare to wear the bear.

As a Bears supporter who now follows Geelong I think we are on the same page with this one.

But sadly that's the clubs choice, I think the Bears roll in establishing footy in Queensland is largely undersold, listen to Brad Hardie's Hall of fame induction speech.

I think the club had a wonderful opportunity to make the clash jumper based on the Bears jumper like the Lions away jumper and haven't taken it.

Heritage Round 2004
Heritage Round 2006
Hall of Fame Jumper 2014

Would love to have seen the Bears a few more times than this.

Imagine wearing an original bears jumper in every Q clash at Carrara like Port want to

As a Bears supporter who now follows Geelong I think we are on the same page with this one.

But sadly that's the clubs choice, I think the Bears roll in establishing footy in Queensland is largely undersold, listen to Brad Hardie's Hall of fame induction speech.

I think the club had a wonderful opportunity to make the clash jumper based on the Bears jumper like the Lions away jumper and haven't taken it.

Heritage Round 2004
Heritage Round 2006
Hall of Fame Jumper 2014

Would love to have seen the Bears a few more times than this.

Imagine wearing an original bears jumper in every Q clash at Carrara like Port want to
Would be pretty cool, or if they played in the Bears V at the Gabba in Q Clash

Pretty sure a Bears clash that was an inverse V was shot down by the AFL a few years back

Maybe supporters could start a Bears campaign or hashtag

#daretobethebear to get a Carrara jumper made up or a Bears style away jumper made up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree with this overall. It's like the Melbourne Heart. Getting upset over a jumper that was worn for 5 minutes in the context of the sport is pointless really. Fitzroy had and has so much more relevance overall. Not saying they shouldn't ever wear Bears jumpers, just saying I understand why they favour the Fitzroy part of the merger more in terms of old guernseys.

I tend to agree with this overall. It's like the Melbourne Heart. Getting upset over a jumper that was worn for 5 minutes in the context of the sport is pointless really. Fitzroy had and has so much more relevance overall. Not saying they shouldn't ever wear Bears jumpers, just saying I understand why they favour the Fitzroy part of the merger more in terms of old guernseys.
Respectfully disagree, the Bears did a lot for AFL up in Queensland, establishing that aussie rules football could survive in rugby heartland. Without their cash injection from the license into the VFL, it is also likely the other clubs would have struggled severely financially.

I get the Fitzroy-ness too, because the history is great. I would love to see a full Fitzroy kit (monogram included) versus old Fitzroy rivals (i.e. Carlton, Collingwood)

Last edited:
I actually really like that idea. It would really increase the Queensland flavour to the Q Clash. The Fitzroy inspired jumper is great, one of the best in the AFL, but Fitzroy were a Victorian club for a long long time. The Bears were uniquely Queensland.

Yet this whole thread is about a jumper that’s been seen a handful of times in the AFL and not wearing it more is the world’s greatest injustice...

I actually really like that idea. It would really increase the Queensland flavour to the Q Clash. The Fitzroy inspired jumper is great, one of the best in the AFL, but Fitzroy were a Victorian club for a long long time. The Bears were uniquely Queensland.

The Brisbane Lions are supposed to be the living representative of Fitzroy. The merger was already completely stacked in the Bears' favour, the very least they can do is actually stick to wearing a Fitzroy-esque jumper (even though they never wear blue shorts which was a Fitzroy staple from their inception)

Bears were a club that had no chance and no reason to really survive. They were setup by a millionaire who just wanted a club, given a temporary home ground and basically left to their own devices. The last year of the brands existence they made it to the prelim finals afted edging Essendon by a point and then smashing Carlton (of all teams), they also had a brownlow medalist. To be honest for their short tenure and what they were able to achieve, your statement is just dumb. They are the only AFL club brand that is in this situation.

The Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lions are the same club, in the same way Footscray and the Western Bulldogs are the same club.

Back