Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Would like to know.

Who will be your star ? (abblet)

How will you guys compete with League?

Sydney media is ruthless and looking for an excuse to bag AFL in Sydney unlike GC, how will you combat this?

alot of the west isn't the ideal place for stars in the AFL were will they live/ family's live?

you cant copy GC who can slowly build to succses you will need to do it fast which is hard i admit but i just cant see GWS competing with league unless they win and gain members.

Im happy GWS is here cause i can see my tigers twice in a year in NSW :D

Alot of the West isn't ideal for people too live? It's the perfect place for a young star to go and start up a young family.

We need alot more AFL expirenced/AFL regulars than GC...simple. 25 Mature players (Stars, Elite, Established, Young Guns [Hurley, Scully, etc], Non Regulars [By that guys like Fraser last year] and State Players). And then 25 rookies. Most of the GC rookies wil be duds anyway. So why overdose on rookies?

But we need 2 stars. Simple as that! We need 2 stars at the game of AFL and not RL to be poster boys. Ideally maybe a Star Midfielder and a Star Back/Forward.....but I think we might only get the one :(

alot of the west isn't the ideal place for stars in the AFL were will they live/ family's live?
Says who?

And even if you are correct with the bolded assumption, my guess is that they will live in the parts of the west that are the ideal place for AFL players.

I reckon that's what players in Melbourne do for instance. They work out which aren't the best areas to live in and go and live in the other areas. :rolleyes:

Seriously, do you realize how big Greater Western Sydney is? And what areas it actually encompasses? And how many parts of GWS are perfectly fine to live in?

I've seen this sort of crap on the main board and the ignorance of some people (or their gullibility in accepting stereotypes) never ceases to amaze.

There is no doubt that gws has seen what not to do with how the suns have gone and will focus on having a much more balance list. Firstly they will go for 16 uncontracted players and not just 8 like the suns went with.
Most likely these players may include: Dale Thomas (face of the club), Marc Murphy (outside chance),Taylor Walker, Rhys Palmer, Tom Scully, Daniel Rich, and a number of fringe players. Also they will have a number of vfl players to give the needed older bodies to the side.

I also think its very good that gws is focusing on players in there 20s as they will still be key players in 3-5 years times when gws is challenging for a flag. So while they will be in the side while it takes some beatings in the early days they will also be around when gws is one of the better teams going around.

There's no way a new club will have instant success and I don't think GWS should aim for that. While I hope we won't be as bad initially as the Suns, setting ourselves up to win a lot of earlier games is counter-intuitive given the huge number of draft concessions given out.

I don't think there's much that can be done about some segments of the media and those rugby league identities who insist it's a war, but there's three million or so people in GWS and we only need 1% to become members to be a success story. When you look at club membership and viewer numbers for rugby league there's a lot of people unaccounted for, so we can become a complete success without convincing a single RL stalwart to switch codes.

It will be harder for GWS to apeal to an already rugby worshiping state. The swans have sort of done it ... But GWS I believe will either be an average club like let's say north Melbourne.. I can't see western sydney push past 25 thousand members..

People in Sydney want GWS to fail.

P.s I live in sydney and hear this all the time

It will be harder for GWS to apeal to an already rugby worshiping state. The swans have sort of done it ... But GWS I believe will either be an average club like let's say north Melbourne.. I can't see western sydney push past 25 thousand members..

People in Sydney want GWS to fail.

P.s I live in sydney and hear this all the time

Not at all most people in sydney are indifferent to gws so its up to the club to engage enough people so they want to get onboard with gws. While that will be a very hard job it is far from impossible.

Also lets not forget that there is also a percentage of people who are very open to following a sydney afl team but only if it is a fully sydney team, that is one thing gws has over the swans.

The thing to remember is that GWS and the other northern states don't have to deal with shitty stadium deals with the MCG and Etihad, unlike those that pushed the Roos to the edge. It's quite possible to have a secure future and make reasonable profits with "only" 25,000 members. GWS will never be a Collingwood (or at least not for a few decades) but it can pull its own weight relatively easily.

The thing to remember is that GWS and the other northern states don't have to deal with shitty stadium deals with the MCG and Etihad, unlike those that pushed the Roos to the edge. It's quite possible to have a secure future and make reasonable profits with "only" 25,000 members. GWS will never be a Collingwood (or at least not for a few decades) but it can pull its own weight relatively easily.

Yeah....for clubs in RL heartland 25K-30K is very good unlike in Victoria

Says who?

And even if you are correct with the bolded assumption, my guess is that they will live in the parts of the west that are the ideal place for AFL players.

I reckon that's what players in Melbourne do for instance. They work out which aren't the best areas to live in and go and live in the other areas. :rolleyes:

Seriously, do you realize how big Greater Western Sydney is? And what areas it actually encompasses? And how many parts of GWS are perfectly fine to live in?

I've seen this sort of crap on the main board and the ignorance of some people (or their gullibility in accepting stereotypes) never ceases to amaze.

Nah he is right, GWS is a s hole, too big so the better parts are on the outskirts but you are too far away. Sydney is the place to avoid pure and simple and I have lived there to!!

GWS memberships, IMO, will better all NRL ones. Highest NRL membership is St George with 18,000. Greater Western Sydney covers heaps of ground, maybe 100km from Camden to Blue Mountains. Many good places to live in if you look at the right areas.

A lot of people will jump on board for the sake of getting the club going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS memberships, IMO, will better all NRL ones. Highest NRL membership is St George with 18,000. Greater Western Sydney covers heaps of ground, maybe 100km from Camden to Blue Mountains. Many good places to live in if you look at the right areas.

9000 and counting

Nah he is right, GWS is a s hole, too big so the better parts are on the outskirts but you are too far away. Sydney is the place to avoid pure and simple and I have lived there to!!

Living in blacktown for 24 years so far and nothing has happened to me yet. The s**t hole of the west is mt druitt bidwell shalvey etc.

players with families im sure would love the hill districts for sure.

Anyone hoping we can snatch Goddard? He would be the perfect Big Name for the club. Can play pretty much anywhere too. Reckon with the Saints looking like they'll be bottom for a long long time we can lure him to a club with a lot of potential for a lot of $$$?

One thing they must do is to play as many pre-season games as they can with the likely first round 22 v the rest of the squad. Start Jan 1. This must include all the rookies and uncontracted players and draftees.

This didn't happen with the Suns and they arrived at their first AFL game as basically strangers. (The expereinced chaps played next to no pre-season). Even though 10 had played together in their VFL team, any cohesion and combinations were shot by the 4 draftees and 8 'úncontracteds' who had never played together (except for Riska and Brennan).

I know it sounds too simple, but GCs fitness also was under par, no pace.
Unfit experienced players - Ablett, Krakouer, Brennan.

GWS needs to hit the ground running, with combinations of players already greased for action.

One thing they must do is to play as many pre-season games as they can with the likely first round 22 v the rest of the squad. Start Jan 1. This must include all the rookies and uncontracted players and draftees.

This didn't happen with the Suns and they arrived at their first AFL game as basically strangers. (The expereinced chaps played next to no pre-season). Even though 10 had played together in their VFL team, any cohesion and combinations were shot by the 4 draftees and 8 'úncontracteds' who had never played together (except for Riska and Brennan).

I know it sounds too simple, but GCs fitness also was under par, no pace.
Unfit experienced players - Ablett, Krakouer, Brennan.

GWS needs to hit the ground running, with combinations of players already greased for action.

Fraser and Illes played together at Collingwood too ;)

Thanks for that GF, but you do get my drift though?
Iles had a pre-season injury and didn't play till Rd 5, and Fraser's had to drop a couple of games already with niggles.
Given that Fraser was not getting many games last year, and that Iles at 23 yrs only got 7 games all up with Pies, it is possible that they never actually rucked and roved together in matches other than at training practice.

Safer to bet that Riska and Brennan actually have combination after there years together at Lions - midfielders/wing etc.

Danny Stanley was also at Pies for 5 games but again, its combination more by insinuation. GWS cannot be lulled by insuations of combination.

Thanks for that GF, but you do get my drift though?
Iles had a pre-season injury and didn't play till Rd 5, and Fraser's had to drop a couple of games already with niggles.
Given that Fraser was not getting many games last year, and that Iles at 23 yrs only got 7 games all up with Pies, it is possible that they never actually rucked and roved together in matches other than at training practice.

Safer to bet that Riska and Brennan actually have combination after there years together at Lions - midfielders/wing etc.

Danny Stanley was also at Pies for 5 games but again, its combination more by insinuation. GWS cannot be lulled by insuations of combination.

Oh yeah, blind freddie could get that drift! :p

However

Living in the west might force me to make a decision. I have lived through a premiership with sydney, but western sydney has always been home.

I will probably buy both sydney and gws memberships next year to help get gws up and running but sydney will remain my primary team.

I'll certainly be using GWS as an excuse to see a lot of the big Melbourne teams I don't get to see that often now I'm in Sydney. May even buy a membership if it isn't too much money. Plus it'd be nice to support Sheeds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back