Society/Culture Product placement/advertising in movies

Remove this Banner Ad

woota

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I've noticed this more and more as the years have gone by. As a kid I watched movies for the entertainment, but now when I watch movies I'm always looking out for what social or political agenda they're trying to push, and what products they're trying to advertise. Sometimes I question whether I'm reading too far into this and being a tinfoil hatter, or if there's really something there. So I wanted to offer a few of the best examples of what I'm talking about to see what others think.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day includes a scene that is basically an advertisement for Harley Davidson motorcycles. I mean the part where he takes the Harley by force, puts those shades on and rides away, is a sales pitch for the motorcycle. The image they're trying to associate with men who ride Harley's, such as the "bad to the bone" music, the way he takes the shades from the guy's pocket and puts them on, and just the way he does what he wants like a rebel, is trying to appeal to the ego of men. As a little kid I thought this scene was absolutely epic, but I find it a bit cringy now that I can see so clearly what they were trying to do.

X-Men: Days of Future Past has a scene that is basically a recruitment ad for females in the military. The scene where Raven in her mutant incarnation beats up all those army dudes, then marches off and says "Let's move, come on let's go" like a leader to a bunch of male soldiers, then walks outside and morphs into her human form wearing a military uniform while marching like soldier. It just has this "women, join the military and you can rise up the ranks and kick arse too" written all over it.

Rambo: First Blood Part II contains an advertisement for Coca Cola. The scene where Murdock is sitting at his desk talking to John Rambo, and he says "get me something cold" to one of his underlings. The guy gets him a drink of Coca Cola from the vending machine, and it's kind of strange how they make a point of showing a close up of the Coca Cola being poured into a glass in the foreground while the characters are in the background watching on.

I've noticed this more and more as the years have gone by. As a kid I watched movies for the entertainment, but now when I watch movies I'm always looking out for what social or political agenda they're trying to push, and what products they're trying to advertise. Sometimes I question whether I'm reading too far into this and being a tinfoil hatter, or if there's really something there. So I wanted to offer a few of the best examples of what I'm talking about to see what others think.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day includes a scene that is basically an advertisement for Harley Davidson motorcycles. I mean the part where he takes the Harley by force, puts those shades on and rides away, is a sales pitch for the motorcycle. The image they're trying to associate with men who ride Harley's, such as the "bad to the bone" music, the way he takes the shades from the guy's pocket and puts them on, and just the way he does what he wants like a rebel, is trying to appeal to the ego of men. As a little kid I thought this scene was absolutely epic, but I find it a bit cringy now that I can see so clearly what they were trying to do.

X-Men: Days of Future Past has a scene that is basically a recruitment ad for females in the military. The scene where Raven in her mutant incarnation beats up all those army dudes, then marches off and says "Let's move, come on let's go" like a leader to a bunch of male soldiers, then walks outside and morphs into her human form wearing a military uniform while marching like soldier. It just has this "women, join the military and you can rise up the ranks and kick arse too" written all over it.

Rambo: First Blood Part II contains an advertisement for Coca Cola. The scene where Murdock is sitting at his desk talking to John Rambo, and he says "get me something cold" to one of his underlings. The guy gets him a drink of Coca Cola from the vending machine, and it's kind of strange how they make a point of showing a close up of the Coca Cola being poured into a glass in the foreground while the characters are in the background watching on.

Yes brands pay films to advertise their products.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back