Queen's Birthday Game 2023 onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Only right Melbourne and Collingwood lose the marquee game. Give it to the Suns/Giants.

Seeing as the Queens Birthday holiday is based on Queen Victoria who died over 120 years ago I don't see much changing. Although it was Victoria so #VICBIAS will definitely be involved.

Or we could cut the cord, and become a republic?

My biggest issue with the move to a republic is that there is no material gain and significant cost - but when the monarch changes that cost is triggered anyway - so I'm right on board with a legal structure put in place that when the monarch changes we don't move onto the next king/queen, we declare ourselves a republic.

It can happen anytime in that period too.

Charlie already organising a tour of the Commonwealth countries for a meet and greet of the great unwashed. In tow with the witch.

All, of course at an enormous cost to those Countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would it change just because she's dead? It's still a mark of respect for her regardless

My biggest issue with the move to a republic is that there is no material gain and significant cost - but when the monarch changes that cost is triggered anyway - so I'm right on board with a legal structure put in place that when the monarch changes we don't move onto the next king/queen, we declare ourselves a republic.

The bigger issue is the vast multitude of constitutional changes required.

The crown is deeply embedded in the document, and it'd require a major rewrite to extract it.

Can't just cut/paste president in either, because the powers of the crown are vast, and currently held back by convention/tradition rather than any legal limits. (e.g. parliament is there to advise the crown, and submits laws to the crown for consideration and approval...an active president rather than a rubber stamp would be an enormous change)

Given the levels of division in the country, and the deep distrust of politicians of all stripes, I struggle to see how this would occur in a way that would be widely accepted.

So while I'm not a huge fan of the monarchy, I'd take some convincing before I believed the fix wasn't worse than the problem.

So while I'm not a huge fan of the monarchy, I'd take some convincing before I believed the fix wasn't worse than the problem.
Yeah, the thing for me is this isn't something where I'm ok with, "I'm pretty sure this will be better/no worse, so we should give it a go". I would want to be absolutely certain before messing with what is ultimately (despite the way I might loath some politicians and parties) an extremely robust and stable system of government.

If someone could present a method of smoothly transitioning the powers of the Crown directly to the Governor General while ensuring the position remains strongly apolitical, with all the existing checks and balances not diminshed in any way, and arrange for the transition to occur with the next change of monarch, I'd be fully behind it.

Unless they're businesses paying people to have the day off 13 times a year

I get that. But surely if you put greed aside, you realise that people having a day off to spend with loved ones, and slow down and smell the roses is a positive thing for society?

I had a boss recently who was shocked when people chose to take Annual Leave over the Xmas period. He honestly assumed that everyone would rather work.

Just bizarre.

A referendum is required.

The public holiday will be re-named the King's Birthday.

In Britain, 'Trooping the Colour' has marked the official birthday of the monarch since 1748, and has occurred annually since 1820. It was Edward VII who moved 'Trooping the Colour' to its June date, because of the vagaries of British weather (his actual birthday being in November at the onset of winter). In New South Wales, Governor Arthur Phillip declared a holiday to mark the birthday of George III (June 4th) in 1788.

George V's birthday was on June 3rd.

Since then, in many Australian states, the monarch's birthday has been determined to be on the second Saturday in June and since the death of George V in 1936 has remained on that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back