Toast Quinton Narkle

Remove this Banner Ad

If he wants to walk there's not much the club can do to stop him. He's OOC at the end of 2021.

Narkle was medical sub this week....may well get a run against the Dogs, although our best mid is apparently fit and raring to go against the Bulldogs.
The club could play him when he is in good form

dont act like this is out of the clubs hand. The club has always made him work harder to earn a spot then numerous other players.

Based on their efforts this year, I'd say it's a lot closer compared with idea that Narkle is a far better midfielder

Yes Narkle averages more disposals & inside 50s, but O'Connor has a higher disposal efficiency, and averages more tackles, clearances and centre clearances, but they're pretty even across other areas

View attachment 1151742
Sorry but none of that really stands up

Narkle averages 19.2 disposals per match, including an average of 12 handballs per match versus only 7.2 kicks

Meanwhile from O'Connors 16.8 disposals, it's spilt 8.6 kicks to 8.2 handballs

So considering that when breaking down their disposals that Narkle has a higher percentage of handballs versus kicks, surely it would then be reasonable to suggest that he should also have a higher disposal efficiency

As for the apparent "short easy option", Narkle averages 218.8 metres gained per match and breaking that down it works out at 11.36 metres gained per disposal. As for O'Connor, he averages 193.8 metres gained per match or 11.53 metres per disposal - obviously that's influenced by Narkle preferring to go by hand rather than foot, but would think that should then also boost his disposal efficiency

Again, that includes games as sub. not a fair comparison

the issue for me, is that Narkle is still relatively young and has not reached his peak yet whilst Higgins & Dahlhaus have both peaked and are on the way down. At best we'll get another year out of each of them whereas Narkle could have 7 or 8 good seasons ahead of him. I really, really hope we don't let him go.

It was interesting listening to Grigg on Krock, made the point that you need a squad and Narkle provides that. It's a long season...they eventually bit the bullet on Steven and Atkins last year. Something similar could happen again.

It was interesting listening to Grigg on Krock, made the point that you need a squad and Narkle provides that. It's a long season...they eventually bit the bullet on Steven and Atkins last year. Something similar could happen again.

He's obviously not in their best 22 just at the moment. But things can change. Hopefully he gets an opportunity again against the Bulldogs.

He's obviously not in their best 22 just at the moment. But things can change. Hopefully he gets an opportunity again against the Bulldogs.

Its tough being #23 or #24 on any list...Chook has been there often...young Holmes is around that position...even Stanley....

I suspect Narkle will get another run before too long because injuries will play a part...

Its tough being #23 or #24 on any list...Chook has been there often...young Holmes is around that position...even Stanley....

I suspect Narkle will get another run before too long because injuries will play a part...

True, but you’d hope that his actual form would also be recognised as well. We have a few underperformers at the moment so it’s not like there isn’t an opening. Anyway, as you say, he’s only one injury away.

As long as he doesn't crack the sads at being dropped he'll definitely get the chance to impress again and demand a spot before the end of the season.

I am not surprised he was left out. It was an incredibly important match and he's clearly at his best as a genuine mid and he's naturally attacking rather than defensive. You can't make an argument that he's a better than guys like Duncan, Selwood and Danger in that role. Reshuffling the team just to fit him in would be a big risk in such an important game. We got the win last night and fingers crossed we get the win next week. That will give us some safety in the 4 and give us the chance to experiment a bit with the lineup while giving anyone sore a chance to freshen up. That's when he'll get his chance and it's up to him to take it with both hands like Simpson did last year.

My initial thoughts on reading Narkle was omitted was to feel a bit of anger. Thought form counted for nothing in selection and that i would have dropped three before him Higgins, Dalhouse and Menegola. On reflection I don't think he is suited to the roles that the MC has Dalhouse and Menegola playing. Dalhouse defensive mid who gives 110% effort and never shirks a contest, often well out of his weight range, Menegola ranges up and down the ground and pushes back into defence to provide cover. Narkle is not suited to either of the roles. Higgins is playing high half forward with some time on the ball. I think Narkle could play this role. Would he get 22 disposals in the role? Could. Would his disposal be better than Higgins at the moment. I think so. Will be interesting to see who goes out for Guthrie this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My initial thoughts on reading Narkle was omitted was to feel a bit of anger. Thought form counted for nothing in selection and that i would have dropped three before him Higgins, Dalhouse and Menegola. On reflection I don't think he is suited to the roles that the MC has Dalhouse and Menegola playing. Dalhouse defensive mid who gives 110% effort and never shirks a contest, often well out of his weight range, Menegola ranges up and down the ground and pushes back into defence to provide cover. Narkle is not suited to either of the roles. Higgins is playing high half forward with some time on the ball. I think Narkle could play this role. Would he get 22 disposals in the role? Could. Would his disposal be better than Higgins at the moment. I think so. Will be interesting to see who goes out for Guthrie this week.
Why can’t narkle just play the role he has been playing? No one else did it well last night.

Competition for spots is really heating up. I wonder when or if Selwood will be given a bit of a rest. He's been shouldering a lot this year. With Narkle I feel as though there's more to it. With Kolo and Atkins signing on recently, I wonder if the intent for this week was to make a bit of a statement: commit to us and we'll commit to you..

Why can’t narkle just play the role he has been playing? No one else did it well last night.
Dangerfield and Duncan are always going to play before Narkle and we are a better side with a mid who has the ability to play a lock down role whilst still getting a bit of the ball so O'Connor goes into the side before Narkle.

I think Higgins is probably temporarily occupying Narkle’s spot in the 22 just atm.

Yep...closer to the truth I think.

Higgins is a bit flat right now...especially when you know what he can produce. Only a shadow of that player atm.

Higgins is a bit flat right now...especially when you know what he can produce. Only a shadow of that player atm.
He well short of what was expected. Has been shabby by foot.

He needs a big game

He doesn’t look fit. Struggling to not just hit targets but get any penetration in his kicking too.

IF they value Narkle the guys like Higgins and Menegola should get a run as the injury sub. If that doesnt happen then the squad mantra is nothing but rice paper

He doesn’t look fit. Struggling to not just hit targets but get any penetration in his kicking too.

Well thats when we should be hard. Have we not learnt? Players coming from other clubs where they have been locked in selection ..do not always match our standards. But he can play. Go away and get as fit as possible. Lose a Kg or two. Practice his kicking till his foot falls off. I judging him by a high standard ..an old and cooked GAjr. Well short atm.

The club could play him when he is in good form

dont act like this is out of the clubs hand. The club has always made him work harder to earn a spot then numerous other players.
The club in general just makes a lot of younger players work much harder (unless their last name is Guthrie). They're currently very reluctant to give young guys a run even players who have been around a few years like Narkle. Higgins and Dahl are both players who could make way given their age and relative contributions. Much like Steven last year, they're likely getting games because of the pay packet they receive.

He won't produce it again. He's old and cooked. Was the same last year. It's Steven again. You can't expect to get much out of these players at retirement age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back