Preview R10: Changes v Pies, 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins: Schoenberg, Nankervis, Dowling (McHenry Sub)

Outs: Cook, Curtin, McHenry

Nankervis can cover the HB or wing roles, although IMO he's much better suited to the wing. Dowling and Schoenberg can come in and it's essentially moving the magnets around to accommodate.

Frampton was in their 22 last week. I could see the two of them on the same field together, maybe even man to man. It gets better and better.
Himmelberg vs Frampton would be EPIC

In - Schoenberg
Out - Worrell :)

We don't need to go taller against the Pies with Mihocek out.

Would restructure up the defence.
Laird in for experience, Smith to a wing.
Jones back to defence as doesn't have the same running power since his foot injury.
Hinge plays deeper.

Sholl, Nankervis & Smith as main wingmen.

Schoenberg comes in as part of midfield & forward rotations.
Dowling next in.

McHenry is more effective as sub.

B: Michaelanny, Butts, Hinge
HB: Laird, Keane, Curtin
C: Sholl, Soligo, Nankervis
HF: Rachele, Walker, Keays
F: Cook, Fogarty, Himmelberg
R: O’Brien, Dawson, Rankine
I: Jones, Crouch, Smith, Schoenberg
Sub: McHenry
Has Shoey had enough time to get match fit ?

Keen to see him in and it the guts, just dont want to go early.

They do have definitions of the five types of 'pressure acts':
  • 'Implied' pressure, which is reducing an opponent's decision making time without physical contact.
  • 'Corralling' pressure, which is occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward.
  • 'Chasing' pressure, which is what it sounds like: applying pressure from behind while gaining ground and hurrying the ball carrier.
  • 'Closing' pressure, which is a higher impact version of corralling in which the pressuring player is about to make contact as the ball carrier disposes of the ball, forcing them to dispose of it immediately.
  • 'Physical' pressure, which is making contact with the ball carrier as they dispose of the ball, or effecting a tackle.
Each of them has points ratings which combine to make a pressure points score, which I think is how they come up with the pressure gauge stuff.

So make of that what you will...

There’s errors in those definitions. Just because a player disposes of the ball just before an opponent makes contact doesn’t mean the disposal was forced earlier due to the imminent contact.

Petrenko was a classic case, he’d close to within a metre or so but the player had already assessed options and was already in the process of disposal. It still counts as a pressure act but there was no influence on the disposal decision or execution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Shoey had enough time to get match fit ?

Keen to see him in and it the guts, just dont want to go early.
He's has a few games back now in the sanfl & has been impressive according to reports.

Also, we should be looking to give the likes of Dowling, Taylor, Ryan & Edwards games soon.

In: Dowling, Ryan, Strachan, Berry

Out: McHenry, Smith, O'Brien, Worrell (wrist)

FB: Michalanney/Butts/Curtin

HB: Ryan/Keane/Hinge

C: Dawson/Crouch/Nankervis

FOL: Strachan/Rachele/Soligo

HF: Keays/Walker/Cook

FF: Himmelberg/Fogarty/Rankine

I/C: Laird, Jones, Dowling, Sholl, Berry (sub impact player)

Losing Worrell is obviously concerning long term, but Collingwood are having injury issues of their own in their forward line, so a like for like replacement probably won't be necessary this week. Their lack of talls will also hopefully free up Curtin to play more offensively. I've named him in the back pocket, but I'd like to see more HBF from him.
Strachan took 8 marks in the SANFL this week (a far cry better than the 1.77 that O'Brien has averaged this season), so he surely can't do worse. I'd like to see him get an extended go at the top level.
I think we got the mid/forward balance with Rankine nearly perfect against Brisbane - now we need to do the same with Rachele. When Rankine isn't there, Rachele almost always should be. 2* Crouch/Dawson/Soligo - Rachele/Rankine looks significantly more threatening than Crouch-Laird-Dawson. Add in some Dowling to the rotation (and maybe some Nankervis too), and it actually starts looking pretty versatile.
Relatively speaking, Smith and Nedward weren't actually that bad against Briabane (not as bad as some of their earlier season efforts), but we need to be thinking about the future here. No point in giving games to players who won't be part of our next finals campaign.

But of course, since it's Nicks, it'll be Murphy, Borlase and Hamill in for Cook, Worrell and Curtin.

Absolutely no way we should be omitting any youth at this stage. In fact we need to keep blooding youth now that the year is finished. Schoenberg has had multiple opportunities, so he can wait for an injury.

In: Dowling, Borlase
Out: Ned, Worrell
Borlase and Butts in the same backlines? Are we playing the old folks home?

Is Pedlar available this week?

We need someone to put on Darcy Moore.

It was difficult to tell on the telecast so..
Can anyone who was at the game Sunday arvo confirm exactly where Jordan Butts was lining up at centre bounces..

I swear on atleast a few occasions that just seconds after the centre bounce Jordan was in the play.. as if he had just run in off half back.

And even in normal game play he seemed to be playing much further up ground than usual..

Please tell me we didnt play butts as a half backman.. when his strength is FB.. and Curtin at FB when its clear to all and sundry that the lad has attacking running halfback/midfield written all over him… not dour defender.

If so.. can someone punch Nicks in that massive bald head for me..

Leave Curtain in, Hinge can do more of that intercept role. Curtain has been playing on smalls and looks out of sorts. I'd give him a clear task for the match, match him up on someone closer to his size. Or play him on a wing and try let him get his hands on the ball. He's gonna learn more in the AFL than playing SANFL.

Absolutely no way we should be omitting any youth at this stage. In fact we need to keep blooding youth now that the year is finished. Schoenberg has had multiple opportunities, so he can wait for an injury.

In: Dowling, Borlase
Out: Ned, Worrell
Then you go and omit youth. (NED). Still only 23.

That 100 to 200 game differential is massive 4 to 11.

Imagine when Tex and Smith retire. We will have one player over 200 games for a season or two (Matt Crouch is next one then Keays and Dawson a season or two behind).

One of the reasons we need to get multiple free agents in - and Tex goes on for another year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Then you go and omit youth. (NED). Still only 23.
Ned has been on the list for 6 or so years..

Has 6 years of preseasons under his belt.

He’s just a shite footballer..

If he was a 3rd or 4th roind pick they’d have delisted him 3 years ago..

But this club has trouble letting go of players that really try hard.. but have fxxkn garbage skills.. especially if they paid good draft capital for them..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back