Preview R10: Changes v Pies, 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm trying to find a "Triggered"-The Brodie Smith Page, but don't know where to raise a comment?

So Schoenberg, Murphy & Hamill appear to be ins.

Worrell & 2 of Curtin, Cook & McHenry outs.

I'm going to guess.
Hamill for Worrell
Murphy for McHenry
Schoenberg for Cook
Nankervis comes in 22 for Curtin
Cook as sub... but should be Murphy

Cooking Curtin.
Curtins for Cook.
Yuck!
Not sure where you got Hamill was in, not all players were in the photos or videos on the club insta

What I like about Hardwick, is he’s not afraid of taking really big swings.

He keeps throwing it around until he finds the mix he likes

Our guy seems a bit worried about making a mistake, so he doesn’t like to do very much if he can help it
Yeah but what would hardwick know?

Our guy seems a bit worried about making a mistake, so he doesn’t like to do very much if he can help it
I don’t think Nicks is afraid of making a mistake, he seems very smug and knows he can get away with it, like blaming the players for our start and not saying anything about his changed game plan.

The issue is he’s just not very smart and he thinks the team he’s picking with the continuity is the best chance of winning.

I don’t think Nicks is afraid of making a mistake, he seems very smug and knows he can get away with it, like blaming the players for our start and not saying anything about his changed game plan.

The issue is he’s just not very smart and he thinks the team he’s picking with the continuity is the best chance of winning.

Nah. You can see how short he is in press conferences this year and last, he’s feeling the pressure

He lacks courage and imagination for me

They do have definitions of the five types of 'pressure acts':
  • 'Implied' pressure, which is reducing an opponent's decision making time without physical contact.

This is pure invention and imagination unfortunately

How could anyone provide consistency in interpreting such a nebulous concept

Would love to know how often that’s given out

• 'Corralling' pressure, which is occupying space in front of the ball carrier to prevent them moving forward.

Still fairly vague, but at least maybe the concept is clear

• 'Chasing' pressure, which is what it sounds like: applying pressure from behind while gaining ground and hurrying the ball carrier.

That’s a bit better

• 'Closing' pressure, which is a higher impact version of corralling in which the pressuring player is about to make contact as the ball carrier disposes of the ball, forcing them to dispose of it immediately.

That fits with most people’s thinking I reckon

• 'Physical' pressure, which is making contact with the ball carrier as they dispose of the ball, or effecting a tackle.
Each of them has points ratings which combine to make a pressure points score, which I think is how they come up with the pressure gauge stuff.

So make of that what you will...

There is still plenty of “divide by the number you first thought of”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks flat out strikes me as a Sanderson clone.

Thats pretty unfair. Sando gets a bad gig.

Sando went 17 wins, 10 wins, 11 wins. His drop-off between 2012 - 2013 is easily explained having lost Tippett / Walker who combined for 100 goals in 2012.

Nicks went 3 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 11 wins (extra game) and we are on track for another 10-11 win season.

Sando's worst season = Nicks best season.

Sando had his faults but nowhere near enough to compare him to Nicks.

This is right I think. Nicks is a very conservative coach. It's one of his defining characteristics and comes through in everything he does. His approach to improving the side is to make incremental adjustments to the group over a period of time, and introducing new players happens when there's a natural vacancy and someone has been performing consistently in the 2nds, or in preseason. Changes to the gameplan or on field mix happen over a period of time so as to not upset the balance of things too much, or in preseason.

That's one reason I don't think we'll see three unforced changes this week as some are expecting in here - he's just not a coach who makes three unforced changes pretty much ever. Most I can imagine is one forced and one unforced, plus changing the sub which he does almost every week.

Disagree. I think he can get pretty imaginative. Pedlar on Tom Stewart?

Nicks seems like a players coach. He is just truly terrible at gameday tactics and selecting the right lineup.
Yep, unfortunately I don't have any faith that we have anyone really cluey in the coaching box to usually outcoach the opposition on matchday. They are all too similar & no one has a bright strategic mind to think outside the box.

Just need to see how we didn't change up our defence earlier last week when it was clear most matchups were not working.

This is right I think. Nicks is a very conservative coach. It's one of his defining characteristics and comes through in everything he does. His approach to improving the side is to make incremental adjustments to the group over a period of time, and introducing new players happens when there's a natural vacancy and someone has been performing consistently in the 2nds, or in preseason. Changes to the gameplan or on field mix happen over a period of time so as to not upset the balance of things too much, or in preseason.

That's one reason I don't think we'll see three unforced changes this week as some are expecting in here - he's just not a coach who makes three unforced changes pretty much ever. Most I can imagine is one forced and one unforced, plus changing the sub which he does almost every week.

Nicks is a coach for the job coach. Afraid to take risks in case it back fires. He isn't about making incremental improvements at all. He wants to make all out improvements but doesn't trust any players to do it outside of his favourites. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming into granting Worrell games, couldnt wait to kick Thithorpe out the side. Dropped Soligo after a 4 possession game but kept Murphy who also had a bad game. Who is now a premier mid in our side. Not Murphy. So Nicks is proving he struggles to recognise talent and trust it.

Nicks is a coach for the job coach. Afraid to take risks in case it back fires. He isn't about making incremental improvements at all. He wants to make all out improvements but doesn't trust any players to do it outside of his favourites. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming into granting Worrell games, couldnt wait to kick Thithorpe out the side. Dropped Soligo after a 4 possession game but kept Murphy who also had a bad game. Who is now a premier mid in our side. Not Murphy. So Nicks is proving he struggles to recognise talent and trust it.
Every coach is a coach for the job coach. The difference is what approach they think will be most effective. Nicks is a conservative coach who takes a low risk, incremental approach to everything, and yeah I think he's concerned about making the wrong call and doing more harm than good if he makes changes, whether those are selection changes, gameplan changes or whatever else.

The 'favourites' stuff is describing the same behaviour but attributing the wrong motivation to it. Worrell is a good example of the conservative approach, and now that he's established in the team he's basically undroppable. When he wasn't an established AFL player bringing him in was a risk as we already had an established player in his role and a settled defensive group, and Nicks was slow to do it. That doesn't mean he doesn't rate Worrell now. He could have 10 bad games in a row before Nicks would even think about making a change.

This is obviously not an entirely negative trait but it means when things aren't working they don't get fixed quickly at all, and Nicks will rarely try something out of the box to see if it works.

Nicks is a coach for the job coach. Afraid to take risks in case it back fires. He isn't about making incremental improvements at all. He wants to make all out improvements but doesn't trust any players to do it outside of his favourites. He had to be dragged kicking and screaming into granting Worrell games, couldnt wait to kick Thithorpe out the side.

You ramble too much. You don't like Nicks, but I dont think you understand why you dont like Nicks.

Dropped Soligo after a 4 possession game but kept Murphy who also had a bad game. Who is now a premier mid in our side. Not Murphy. So Nicks is proving he struggles to recognise talent and trust it.

What are you on about? We picked Soligo with pick 36 in the 2021 draft. Since then he has played 46 out of a possible 54 games. Only 4 other players taken in 2021 have played more games (JHF - 48, Daicos 56, NWM 50, McDonald 50). We had signed him up to the end of 2025 and no more than 8 months ago gave him a 5 year extension to the end of 2029.

If that isnt trusting and recognizing talent - what is?

Thats pretty unfair. Sando gets a bad gig.

Sando went 17 wins, 10 wins, 11 wins. His drop-off between 2012 - 2013 is easily explained having lost Tippett / Walker who combined for 100 goals in 2012.

Nicks went 3 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 11 wins (extra game) and we are on track for another 10-11 win season.

Sando's worst season = Nicks best season.

Sando had his faults but nowhere near enough to compare him to Nicks.
Wasn't Sando's biggest faults similar in nature to that of Stengle and B Crouch?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back